Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Bar Rescue, Yvonne and I visit Cheviot Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Bar Rescue, Yvonne and I visit Cheviot Ohio

and the newly renovated "The Public House" bar.

last Sundays Bar Rescue show was about a bar in Cheviot Ohio, about 45 minutes drive. So Yvonne and I decided to check this "reformed" bar out.

The principal owner was there and we got a chance to chat with him in detail about the Bar Rescue experience.

First; I have to comment about the food. IT WAS FANTASTIC !!! The bar owner kept John Taffer & Chef Brian Duffy's recipes. Yvonne had the Bratwurst Reuben; I took a few bites and it was absolutely scrumptious. It was the best tasting reuben I have ever had.

I ordered the Guinness Burger, with Guinness-braized onions and Irish Stout Cheddar;
yum... yum... yum !

Get this though; neither of us bought any alcohol !!! Though we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
here is their new menu:
The Public House

interesting that some of the bars existing menu items were still on the new menu. Not everything from the bars past was thrown out. Since Yvonne and I were wanting to try some of the Chef Duffy items, we asked the waitress to point out which menu items were Duffy's recipes.

full episode here:
Bar Rescue | Nightlife Expert Jon Taffer Fixes Bars, Clubs | Spike | Broke Black Sheep | Season 2 | Free Full Episodes | Spike

Here are some of the behind-the-scenes info we found out:
*the application process to get the Bar Rescue "treatment" took six months; from the first written application - to when the crew showed up. One of the reasons the bar owner took out those expensive credit card company loans was to stay afloat during that six months.

*the shows crew totaled about 45 people total. The Black Sheep Pub (later to be renamed The Public House) had a downstairs party rental room; the production crew filled the entire space with equipment.

*The trip to Ireland and the Guinness factory - didn't happen until 2 months later. Taffer said that they could of gone right then & there; and the trip would be two days total. But if the bar people were willing to go a few months later, they would make a week long trip out of it; and that's what they decided on. The cook didn't have a passport, and if they had gone immediately as shown, someone else would of had to go instead.

*The owner said that business was up a solid 20% right after the grand opening (back in late March of this year); and business is up an additional 200% since the show aired last Sunday. He knew that the 200% jump is temporary though... and will smooth-out in time. He seemed very gratefull about having the Bar Rescue'd.

The principal owner, Scott Scherpenberg, is a Captain on the Cheviot Fire Department. I work with police and fire/EMS people every day at work.... and they can develop BIG EGO's... especially if they are in a command position. I must say that Scott was an extremely nice guy. If he had an ego... he no longer does; apparently John Taffer can humble a guy out - pretty quick .
Scott seems to be a great person; I'm certain the bar will do well.

I know we'll be back; not to drink.. but to have another chance at the great food ! We asked Scott to be in a picture with us; and he presented us with an official Guinness beer glass.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 09-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I enjoy that show, Best wishes to the owners!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for posting, may make a visit this fall
Old 09-03-2012, 02:28 PM
DM VETT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice trip and review. Maybe when Chris has healed we can check it out and I will be sure to tell them you sent us.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Very cool. Me and the wife saw that episode. Glad it was a good time.

It was actually on again last night.

Last edited by 540i 6spd; 09-12-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

What was John like in real life?

Get notified of new replies

To Bar Rescue, Yvonne and I visit Cheviot Ohio

Quick Reply: Bar Rescue, Yvonne and I visit Cheviot Ohio