Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Just 59 days until April 1st the start of the true drive your cool go fast car season

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone
I still think it is March 1st.

I hope everybody realizes that Tom Skilling controls the weather and wrote the screen play to “Glitter”. I am a big fan of Bozo T Clown too. We went to the show in 1973 or sometime around then.

As awesome as this winter has been my friend I would not be surprised if we are good to go (for the most part) as of March 1st.

Just 53 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 42 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a fulltime basis (by Calender Spring).
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I still think it is March 1st.
I second that!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:24 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'm hoping to pull the car out the weekend of the 18th in March. Weather be damned. Now I might not drive it on the roads at that point, depending on the salt situation.
The rain had washed most of the salt off of the roads here and then we had a very light dusting of snow a week or so ago. Unfortunately, they mistook it for a blizzard and put down a bunch of salt. I'm guessing it will be the middle of April before I take my car out unless we have a mild spring.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
The rain had washed most of the salt off of the roads here and then we had a very light dusting of snow a week or so ago. Unfortunately, they mistook it for a blizzard and put down a bunch of salt. I'm guessing it will be the middle of April before I take my car out unless we have a mild spring.

Jim,

I know the winter has been mild... but, it is WINTER

I agree with DevilDog!!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

That is exactly what happened Steve. BUT, with the ton of rain we got last night and this morning and with the warmer temps. also that came with the rain, most of that salt should pretty much be washed away.

That means if no new salt is thrown down and the weather cooperates this weekend I can graduate from my Mustang GT (which I let tolerate a little dry salt powder when the road is otherwise dry like it has been the last 2 weeks) to the Viper ACR.

Just 52 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 41 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
That is exactly what happened Steve. BUT, with the ton of rain we got last night and this morning and with the warmer temps. also that came with the rain, most of that salt should pretty much be washed away.

That means if no new salt is thrown down and the weather cooperates this weekend I can graduate from my Mustang GT (which I let tolerate a little dry salt powder when the road is otherwise dry like it has been the last 2 weeks) to the Viper ACR.

Just 52 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 41 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).
I don't mind driving my new Z06 in the rain, but for some reason the thought of getting even a hint of salt on it bothers me. That, coupled with the fact that traction is non-existent with the cooler temperatures, makes me think it won't be coming out for awhile. On the bright side, I did put more miles on it last summer than I did my C5 in 2 1/2 years.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 02-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

[QUOTE
Just 52 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 41 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring). [/QUOTE]

I'll even settle for getting it out on a part time basis

Last edited by Carvin; 02-07-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Mopar Jimmy (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

I don't mind driving my new Z06 in the rain, but for some reason the thought of getting even a hint of salt on it bothers me. That, coupled with the fact that traction is non-existent with the cooler temperatures, makes me think it won't be coming out for awhile. On the bright side, I did put more miles on it last summer than I did my C5 in 2 1/2 years.
I hear you Steve your a typical Vette Guy who won't consider taking their baby out until their are several good rains well after April 1st and that certainly is the norm.

I also refuse to take my Viper out when there was the type of salt on the ground until the recent monsoon we got in the early morning (and now the roads are good enough as long as there is no fresh salt that get's dropped).

Funny thing is I refuse to drive my nice cars in the rain (that includes my beloved 2016 Stang GT) probably b/c they always look presentable and once they get rained on they need to get washed asap, and I am too lazy to wash them myself. At least I am honest.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-08-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Looks like a BUNCH of salt was thrown on the main roadways in Elmhurst overnight (this Tues, 2-7-17)!

This really is $&%&)()^ frustrating b/c the ground temp. did not even freeze and they are obviously just throwing fresh salt down to justify their budget for the next winter and the roads were all clean from the major rain we got 2 nights ago!

Did anyone else notice a bunch of fresh salt in other west suburbs on the highway and exit/entrance ramps?

Oh well, at least the road are dry and clean enough for me to continue to enjoy my Rustang!

Just 51 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 40 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Only bridges down here.

We got a dusting of snow.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Looks like a BUNCH of salt was thrown on the main roadways in Elmhurst overnight (this Tues, 2-7-17)!

This really is $&%&)()^ frustrating b/c the ground temp. did not even freeze and they are obviously just throwing fresh salt down to justify their budget for the next winter and the roads were all clean from the major rain we got 2 nights ago!

Did anyone else notice a bunch of fresh salt in other west suburbs on the highway and exit/entrance ramps?

Oh well, at least the road are dry and clean enough for me to continue to enjoy my Rustang!

Just 51 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 40 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).
That snow was supposed to stay south of I-80.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Carvin
That snow was supposed to stay south of I-80.
Steve is way south of I-80 my friend.

Steve/Devil Dog, anyone else,

Did you areas in great Chicagoland get hit with fresh salt overnight yesterday like Elmhurst did, even though there was no precipitation at all and no freezing on elevated surfaces?

On a more positive note:

Just 50 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 39 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-11-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I am driving mine now. I went to Bill Kay for an oil change and they washed the Corvette too. It really looks great. Now I am at the Downers Grove library. I will probably drive around for a few more hours. There is salt on the road but not much
Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

I am driving mine now. I went to Bill Kay for an oil change and they washed the Corvette too. It really looks great. Now I am at the Downers Grove library. I will probably drive around for a few more hours. There is salt on the road but not much

Just 49 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 38 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Since I had some free time yesterday I drove the Corvette part of the day. Today I had more free time and I drove the Corvette all day; I just put it away a few minutes ago. The roads were way better today than yesterday, warmer and no salt.

Anyone going to the Chicago Auto Show this year?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Since I had some free time yesterday I drove the Corvette part of the day. Today I had more free time and I drove the Corvette all day; I just put it away a few minutes ago. The roads were way better today than yesterday, warmer and no salt.

Anyone going to the Chicago Auto Show this year?

50 Degrees yesterday and 45 degrees and party sunny today, gotta LOVE it for mid February!

Just 47 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 36 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-13-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Not waiting this year Did I miss the Feb bad azz thread ? Broke the Z out today
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Just 59 days until April 1st the start of the true drive your cool go fast car season

Old 02-13-2017, 04:54 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Nice car Deb!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
That's the way to do it Deb take advantage of another easy winter! WOW, in Chicago its been 2 super easy winters in a row so far GOTTA LOVE IT!! MY Viper ACR is coming out this week for an oil change for the new car season that is just about upon us now and for some romping around with the forecast the next week being nice and dry, with way above warmer temps for this time of year. Heck, given the fact that we have had less than 1 inch of snow since December 18 the battery in my winter beater (2002 Cheep Cherokee) may be going dead soon as that car has been sitting the last 3 weeks as the roads have been in great shape for this time of year allowing me to have my 2016 Mustang GT out the last 3 weeks!

Given the fact that it looks like Spring is going to come nice and early this year I skipped the Feb. bad azz thead and did this one instead!

Drive em like you stole em every chance you can hardcore guys and gals high performance bad azz car enthusiasts!!

Just 46 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 35 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-14-2017 at 01:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (02-13-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Heck, who needs springtime when the middle of Feb. is acting like a middle of a mild March! My ACR is officially back out and about on the prowl. Somebody spotted me parked today when I was Pearl Vision today in Lombard, IL, and posted this up in Rad Rides on facebook.

Just 45 Days now and counting down until April 1st and only 34 days to the first day of Calendar Spring, March 20th, when most my toys should be out on a full time basis (by Calendar Spring); but probably way sooner than that, as mild as this winter is that we are are having!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Just 59 days until April 1st the start of the true drive your cool go fast car season