Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Who all is going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Who all is going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.

Who all will be going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL. at Mid America Motorworks? It starts on Thursday the 14th till the 17th. I will be taking my Sunfire Yellow 67 over and it will be 1 of the 20 1967 Corvettes that will be on display. They are having a coupe and a roadster one each of each color the year 1967. There were 10 colors and I guess (doing my not + not ) is 20 total 1967 Corvettes on display. There is also special parking for any Corvette ending in the year 7 go like 57 & 67 & 77 and so on and so on till 2017. Hope to see some of you Forum people there.

Looks like Thursday night Corvette Road Tour to Greenup will be a lot of fun. Looks like good food and beverages and entertainment. I hope more then 3 or 4 Forum members show up. See you there.

Corvette tour to visit Greenup downtown party
ROB STROUD rob.stroud Sep 11, 2017 0
GREENUP -- The Corvette Funfest's road tour will culminate Thursday evening in Greenup, where a party will be held downtown for tour participants and the general public.

Mid America Motorworks of Effingham plans to hold its 24th annual Corvette Funfest from Thursday to Sunday and has scheduled this event's 2017 Fun Run Road Tour to start at 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Participating Corvette enthusiasts will head out from the Mid America Motorworks campus, 2900 N. Third St., and travel through rural Effingham County on their way to Greenup's Downtown Party, set for 5-8 p.m.

Greenup Chamber of Commerce President Kyle Berghbower said the Corvette convoy, which may include up to 1,000 participants, will take old U.S. Route 40 through the Jackson Truss Covered Bridge in Greenup on its way to the downtown.

The Cumberland Street main thoroughfare and other streets downtown will be closed to through traffic during the party to accommodate Corvette parking and the festivities, Berghbower said. The village hall grounds at the east end of downtown will host a classic rock concert by Smoke Wrench and a beer tent, while the Greenup Depot at the west end will host a country music concert by local artists.

Berghbower said the restaurants, boutiques, antique and craft shops, and other merchants downtown will stay open during the party and offer specials. He said approximately 20 food booths, craft makers and other vendors have signed up for the party, as well. He added that the historic Greenup Depot and the Cumberland County Military Museum downtown will be open for tours that night.

Parking spaces along side streets near the downtown will likely fill up quickly Thursday night, Berghbower said. Consequently, he said the party's organizers are offering rides to the downtown from the Cumberland County Fairgrounds and from Scott's Building Center in Greenup.

Berghbower said Mid America Motorworks approached Greenup about hosting the Downtown Party as a way of providing new area scenery for road tour participants to see during the Corvette Funfest. He said community leaders decided to host the party as a way to showcase recent business development downtown and Greenup in general.

"We love the idea. We think it's going to be a great fit," Berghbower said. "I think it is really going to be a good thing for our downtown retail business and a good thing for our whole community."

The chamber president noted that Mid American Motorworks is encouraging Corvette Funfest participants to visit Greenup at other points during this event. For example, the Corvette Funfest schedule on Friday includes an excursion to the Moonshine burger shack southeast of Casey in Clark County and to Cameo Winery and the Jackson Truss Covered Bridge in Greenup.

Corvette Funfest organizers also plan to hold a caravan to the Coles County Dragway in Charleston for a new Corvette drag race event there at 4 p.m. Thursday. More information about the Funfest is available online at http://www.corvettefunfest.com/.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 09-12-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Mid America killed FunFest when they started charging us (the people who bring in all the money) admission. That's like charging the Band to perform at the arena. A bunch of us used to go every year.
Will never go again as long at they charge us admission. Charge all the people that come to see, but NOT the people who bring what they are coming to see. Worst marketing move ever!! FunFest could have been huge. Greed can backfire.

Last edited by bizaro; 09-15-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I was actually thinking about just driving down for the day from the NW Chicago burbs to check out the vendors for a couple of hours, but with an 8 hour round trip, plus I just heard a staggering $36 to enter, I think I'll take a pass. I can't fathom what's in the goody bag, but I know the shirt isn't worth cleaning the windows with. If they can extract that kind of dough from people, God Bless them. I'll take a pass.

BTW - Kind of funny that the knuckleheads still have the details for the 2016 Show on the Event Phone line.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 PM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Funfest

I was told that next year will be free.You will only pay if you want the tshirt and the book.I think they know they screwed up by charging.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 73ls1
I was told that next year will be free.You will only pay if you want the tshirt and the book.I think they know they screwed up by charging.

Too many years have passed. It will be like trying to revive a dead pig. They had a gold mine and turned it into a mined out quarry.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:26 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bizaro
Too many years have passed. It will be like trying to revive a dead pig. They had a gold mine and turned it into a mined out quarry.
How bad was attendance? Obviously, it must have been down to do an about face on the fee, but how truly bad was it?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Never been there before so I drove down Thursday morning. Got there around noon and checked the place out. Spent the night and went back Friday morning till about noon then left.
I enjoyed it. A lot of beautiful corvettes and by Friday more were arriving by the hour. I can only guess but maybe around 400-500 when I left.
Didn't register, just acted as a spectator but was thinking next year may go on Friday and stay for Saturday.
The one thing that struck me was that it was the first time I didn't worry about my vette on a road trip at the motel that night as most all the other cars in the lot were vets also
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
How bad was attendance? Obviously, it must have been down to do an about face on the fee, but how truly bad was it?
Attendance was about the same as the past 3 years. I have been going for 14 years and it has never got back to the pre 2008 numbers but still a pretty good crowd. What I have noticed is most people seem to come for Saturday and Thur and Fri are light where in the past Fri and Sat were packed.

The fee has been dropped next year due to it being the 25th year so they are dismissing the $25 charge. Really no big deal, I have paid more for local shows that are the fraction of the size and no swag bag and shirt.

Get notified of new replies

To Who all is going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.

Quick Reply: Who all is going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.