Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Shop in Detroit area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Default Shop in Detroit area?

Since my city in Canada borders Detroit, I buy and ship all my stuff online to a Detroit address. In March, Ill be pulling the trigger on a cat back exhaust for the truck. In order to avoid duty fees, I wanted to just get it installed in the Detroit area then drive back home. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Detroit area that is trustworthy and fair priced? I called Livernois and they wanted $400-$600. Pass!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Sounds like something Livernois would quote. Seems like a straight forward job. Nothing complicated. What about an exhaust shop near the address where the system will e shipped?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Im not exactly familiar with the downtown area. Pretty much just go to Ford Field, Comerica Park, and the DTW airport. With that said, I dont want to get into the wrong part of town exploring.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:33 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Call some exhaust shops in the suburbs south of the bridge...Allen park, Lincoln park, Southgate. These are working class areas and I imagine the shops charge comensurate with the area. I'm most of an hour north of the river in Waterford. A shop called Aarons on Highland Road swapped my cat back on my c5 for $75 a few years back...if you want to make the drive.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice! Ill have to do some research!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 AM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Time for a C-5
Call some exhaust shops in the suburbs south of the bridge...Allen park, Lincoln park, Southgate. These are working class areas and I imagine the shops charge comensurate with the area. I'm most of an hour north of the river in Waterford. A shop called Aarons on Highland Road swapped my cat back on my c5 for $75 a few years back...if you want to make the drive.
Downriver (south of the city) is probably one of the best places to go for this kind of work.

Flat Rock Auto Care is about 30 minutes from the bridge and does great exhaust work. Tom used to do prototyping for auto companies and the other mechanic (Dennis) does a lot of performance stuff.

Jack's Auto Repair in Lincoln Park also does great work. Their mechanic, Matt, used to work for a local dealer and has a lot of experience with Corvettes and CTS-Vs. I've had him do a lot of work on the Vette for me in the past (mounting up new tires, brake job, fluid replacement, etc.). They also do a lot of wheels, performance, and restoration work.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Thank you Sir. Ive noticed a lot of shops in the area do not work weekends but it looks like Jacks does. Seems like a nice place and is much closer than the shop I planned on using. Will give Jacks a call when Im ready and see if Matt is available. Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Shop in Detroit area?

Quick Reply: Shop in Detroit area?