Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

New guy in Lansing here - Who is active in Lansing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM
tychoaussie
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New guy in Lansing here - Who is active in Lansing?

Hi all,
I just wanted to know, where do the Lansing guys normally have their activity? The west side clubs or the east side clubs?
I am currently just lurking on the Corvette Forums, biding my time until I hear news about the 2014 C7 Z51 that I am trying to buy. We're currently waiting for the finance company to clear the loan and release the title. Then I can fly down and drive it back up to Michigan.
Once it's here, I will probably bother you all about being a new Corvette owner. This will be my first sports car since 1990.

-Dan from Haslett.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 AM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I lived in South Holland most of my life but not sure what’s happening next store in Lansing.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Dan, lots of things going on both on the East and West sides as well as Lansing Should be posting more events as soon as it warms up
Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM
tychoaussie
Instructor

Let's cross our fingers for a warm-up of Michigan by February 28th - March 1st! That's when I receive the car and drive it home from Knoxville, TN. My 82 year old father is coming along. We fly from Lansing to Knoxville, and we will then take three days to leisurely wander back home. I'll probably zig-zag through Tennessee and Kentucky, see the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, visit some old USAF buddies and some long-time F-body internet friends. The car has never seen rain, and I figure a couple days of water and salt shouldn't hurt it. My garage is heated and has a floor drain so I can spend the rest of the winter detailing whatever the previous owner hasn't detailed. It is supposed to have just 13,800 miles on it. Then, I have the unenviable job of preparing my Trans Am for sale; A car I've owned for almost 30 years.

2014 Corvette Z51 3LT M7

Last edited by tychoaussie; 02-14-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Very , Congrats and safe travels
The following users liked this post:
tychoaussie (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Great looking C7...……….. as Deb mentioned there will be more postings of events as the weather here breaks and warms up for both sides of the state.

One thing to put on your "to do list" is Corvette's on Woodward, and Corvette's on Belle Isle. Both events coordinated by Larry Courtney and are well worth attending!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:38 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Lingenfelter Cars and Coffee on the East Side, West Michigan Cars and Coffee on the West side has two locations and all of us do a Big Cars and Coffee East meets West event in Lansing Look at the sticky up top for info too
Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by tychoaussie
Then, I have the unenviable job of preparing my Trans Am for sale; A car I've owned for almost 30 years.
Lets hear more about the Trans Am
Old 02-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I have owned my Corvette for 29 years.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tychoaussie
Let's cross our fingers for a warm-up of Michigan by February 28th - March 1st! That's when I receive the car and drive it home from Knoxville, TN. My 82 year old father is coming along. We fly from Lansing to Knoxville, and we will then take three days to leisurely wander back home. I'll probably zig-zag through Tennessee and Kentucky, see the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, visit some old USAF buddies and some long-time F-body internet friends. The car has never seen rain, and I figure a couple days of water and salt shouldn't hurt it. My garage is heated and has a floor drain so I can spend the rest of the winter detailing whatever the previous owner hasn't detailed. It is supposed to have just 13,800 miles on it. Then, I have the unenviable job of preparing my Trans Am for sale; A car I've owned for almost 30 years.

2014 Corvette Z51 3LT M7
Nice car! And welcome to the Corvette family. There isn't a whole lot of activity in the Lansing area other than the monthly Greater Lansing Cars and Coffee at the Biggby at Jolly Rd and Dunckel Rd on the 3rd Sunday every month. The Capital City Corvette Club is one of the oldest clubs in the nation and has a pretty good membership, but is mostly older members. I haven't joined yet due to my age difference with the average member. Hope to see you at some local shows, I'll either be in a '73 white coupe or hopefully my '68 vert big block car.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by chazde3
Nice car! And welcome to the Corvette family. There isn't a whole lot of activity in the Lansing area other than the monthly Greater Lansing Cars and Coffee at the Biggby at Jolly Rd and Dunckel Rd on the 3rd Sunday every month. The Capital City Corvette Club is one of the oldest clubs in the nation and has a pretty good membership, but is mostly older members. I haven't joined yet due to my age difference with the average member. Hope to see you at some local shows, I'll either be in a '73 white coupe or hopefully my '68 vert big block car.
Head WEST Good excuse for a drive, we have lots of things coming up
The following users liked this post:
wmupaprmkr (03-06-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:51 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Head WEST Good excuse for a drive, we have lots of things coming up
Haha, don't trust the '73 for more than a 30 or so mile drive. Haven't fixed everything that has issues on it yet. I'm sure I will be out that way with the '68 once it is on the road. Gotta exercise all 427 cubic inches occasionally. And it has about 20 years off the road to make up for.

Looks further away from driving than it really is.

Attachment 48349271

Attachment 48345904

How it sat for ~15 years

Name:  kM2D13Eh.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  183.2 KB
Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

you can check out the capitol city corvette club !
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Are you going back with this paint scheme? Looks great.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:41 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by tommyn
Are you going back with this paint scheme? Looks great.
Paint scheme will most likely stay the same. May modify the stripe on the hood slightly. I will also likely change the colors. I currently own a black car and hate trying to keep it clean. Been thinking either metallic blue or red with either a white or silver stripe. Though, the car was metallic green with a gold stripe in the 70's.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 AM
tychoaussie
Instructor

Default More about the Trans Am

Good morning!
Last night the Corvette landed in the garage after the 700-mile road trip back home from Knoxville, TN. I brought my 82 year old father along and we spent three days on the road, visiting some old USAF buddies and also spending a couple days at the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio. The car is *SO* smooth and versatile, and comfortable! It's also docile for every day driving, but a rocket ship when you downshift to third gear and punch it to pass someone. We were both very impressed with the road manners of the Corvette. It's truly a well refined machine, and I look forward to seeing how it does at an autocross or HDPE event sometime this summer. But, I will need to sell a few toys to simplify life so that my attention isn't diverted from the car. I've parked the Corvette and once it's clean from the road trip, I'll cover it and get to the task of preparing my T/A for sale. It's about as fast as the Corvette, with peak power anyway, but the gen-1 SBC does not have the same sort of low-end torque. It's gnarly and snarly, with probably 30 degrees more cam duration than the Vette for the same equivalent peak power; 400 HP/396 Tq at the wheels on Lingenfelter's Dynojet dyno.

Just a few pictures of the car for you: It's a 1984 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 car, with moser 12-bolt axle, a competition suspension from Unbalanced Engineering and Ground Control, with Koni competition dual adjustable shocks and struts, a Tremec T-56 6-speed manual transmission, and a FAST XFI equipped, fully sequential port fuel injected, 385 CID stroker smallblock engine. It's all forged internals, with Comp cams custom ground roller retrofit camshaft and Comp pro valvetrain. The heads are $2100 AFR195's with their competition port job. I had the GM 1LE raod racing brake package on it for the longest time, but I recently changed from the 12-inch 1LE rotors to a 2008 Corvette 12.8 inch rotor and red Corvette calipers with custom machined hubs. The car was fully disassembled and repainted in 2005 in it's original color using Sikkens Autobase III paint with Sikkens Autoclear over top. The showcar quality paint is still almost perfect, with exception to a scratch and chip on the passenger side sail panel and door from a slight misfortune at the race track.

It's performance on the dyno has always been about 400 HP at the wheels, which should be about 460/470(ish) at the crank. When I was drag racing it, it usually trapped at speeds between 112 and 114 MPH. The Fidanza aluminum flywheel makes it a rev-happy machine, so drag racing isn't it's forte. Consistent launches are tough.

I'm going to go over it this spring, fix a failed fuel pump, clean the injectors, and then take it to a race shop for a dyno session, since I recently upgraded the ECM to FAXT XFI Rev2 specifications, including the auto-learning capability and data acquisition module. It's about $2500 worth of aftermarket fuel injection hardware. Then I'll put it up for sale. I've built the car myself over several decades, so it's tough for me to be objective on it's worth at this point. Probably something around $15 - $20K ?

Autocrossing in Memphis, TN

2008 National Fbody Motorsports Event, Memphis, TN.

Fully rebuilt and new suspension and steering system with newly rebuilt steering gear. Note the Hooker long tube headers, Canton road racing oil pan, decoupled torque arm suspension, moser 12-bolt axle, subframe connectors. The car is solid, and also sports a Chromoly 4340 six-point roll bar.

Now upgraded to 2008 Corvette calipers and rotors on a 1LE machined hub.

My seventeen year old son, last summer.

Drag racing at the CamaroZ28.com events at Stanton, Michigan.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:16 AM
tychoaussie
Instructor

Haha, don't trust the '73 for more than a 30 or so mile drive. Haven't fixed everything that has issues on it yet. I'm sure I will be out that way with the '68 once it is on the road. Gotta exercise all 427 cubic inches occasionally. And it has about 20 years off the road to make up for.
What a terrific looking project! I'd love to see this one in person some day.

Get notified of new replies

To New guy in Lansing here - Who is active in Lansing?

Quick Reply: New guy in Lansing here - Who is active in Lansing?