Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

SE Mi. wheel painting/powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 AM
blk05coupe
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default SE Mi. wheel painting/powder coating

anyone have any good sources, not sure if I want to go painted or powder coated. your thoughts on both would be appreciated.
regards
mike
Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

QC Coatings did a ceramic coating on my headers this winter and they came out great. They do powdercoating as well.

https://www.qccoatings.com/examples?view=pc
The following users liked this post:
onaqwst (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM
atlas094
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also been thinking about a custom wheel finish for an OEM wheel. As to your question paint vs. powder coating - I think the decision depends on the finish for which you are looking. The high end finishes and colors are available with paint application based on my background learnings. However, if powder coat is available for your desired finish - then I feel this is the more durable wheel coating technology. However - others will also debate today's paint systems can also be durable with proper preparation and application, There are examples of both being used by OEMs - not sure there is a right or wrong decision here and finished product quality along with durability largely depends on the preparation, quality of products and application. Just my $0.02.

As for the location - have you looked at Detroit Wheel and Tire ? I do not have any affiliation or any actual work completed at this point. I do know they are hesistant for refinishing aftermarket wheels due to having higher rate of issues for one reason or another.

Last edited by atlas094; 03-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Merlin803
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by atlas094
I have also been thinking about a custom wheel finish for an OEM wheel. As to your question paint vs. powder coating - I think the decision depends on the finish for which you are looking. The high end finishes and colors are available with paint application based on my background learnings. However, if powder coat is available for your desired finish - then I feel this is the more durable wheel coating technology. However - others will also debate today's paint systems can also be durable with proper preparation and application, There are examples of both being used by OEMs - not sure there is a right or wrong decision here and finished product quality along with durability largely depends on the preparation, quality of products and application. Just my $0.02.

As for the location - have you looked at Detroit Wheel and Tire ? I do not have any affiliation or any actual work completed at this point. I do know they are hesistant for refinishing aftermarket wheels due to having higher rate of issues for one reason or another.
Same here. I would be interested to know if anyone gets their's done. I see that Detroit Wheel and Tire has some sort of trade in program, I would love to either trade my OEM wheels in for black ones or have them painted/powder coated black at some point.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Motor City Auto Spa does Powder Coating......

Motor City Auto Spa
Car detailing service4300 Delemere CtRoyal Oak, Michigan(248) 288-6772
Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'14

Jeff’s powder coating in Monroe, look him up on Facebook. I know he is moving his shop currently but should be up and running shortly https://m.facebook.com/jeffspowderco...&source=result

Get notified of new replies

To SE Mi. wheel painting/powder coating

Quick Reply: SE Mi. wheel painting/powder coating