Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Did I lose My Post

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Did I lose My Post

I just spent over two hours replying to someone and when I went to send it , The system logged me off and did not accept the post. Did I lose it? can I get it back?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Yup. It timed out

Originally Posted by 2mnyvets
I just spent over two hours replying to someone and when I went to send it , The system logged me off and did not accept the post. Did I lose it? can I get it back?
I usually write my posts with Word or Notepad first, then log in and paste in the text to avoid that
Old 09-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 2,
2 HOURS writing a reply…. wow.

Do you have a way of looking back on your computer for 'history'?…. what you wrote might be there?
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 PM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing happened to me the other night. Maybe not 2 hours but a thoughtful post. Does it time you out after inactivity? Why?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:55 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default inactivity

Originally Posted by 81vettski
Same thing happened to me the other night. Maybe not 2 hours but a thoughtful post. Does it time you out after inactivity? Why?
If you just walked away and forgot it would log you out. Yes, the forum app interprets writing as inactivity. Short posts never get to whatever the timer is set to. If you periodically hit 'preview post' and continue editing it would probably keep the session open.

You might have been able to hit the back button on the browser and then copied what you were writing, but once closed it's likely gone.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 PM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Between the reverse google search for an image i read the other night and now hit the preview post button, I need to go to computer school. Where is the preview post tab?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:57 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you used the Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor Editing, for the Message Editor Interface option, in the Edit Options section of the UserCP, draft posts are not saved. This was not a feature of the forum software until recently.

Regardless of the above, one should always do a Copy (Control A and then Control C) of all your typed text if it's extensive. Because CorvetteForum or whatever, there are things beyond your control and the server's end that could cause a connectivity issue that may result in lost content before it actually reaches the server.

For example, had you clicked Submit and your Internet provider had an issue and failed to connect to CorvetteForum's server to upload your content, you would have also lost the contents of your post and likely wouldn't be able to easily retrieve it from the browser's cache.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:11 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I have had this happen as well. After taking too long to reply, when I press submit the message will come up that I will need to log back in. If I log into the form that shows up in the middle of the page without touching anything else it will take me back to my reply and I can submit it.

Get notified of new replies

To Did I lose My Post

Quick Reply: Did I lose My Post