Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Problem With Corvette Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6
I just got out of a moderator meeting and I have 4 steps to help you get back up and going—

1- throw computer away-infected.

2- buy new computer

3- get good virus software

4- stay off gay **** sites

You’re welcome and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Well I can confirm it's Corvette Forums. Norton just blocked "Fake Tech Support Website 40" twice. It ONLY happens on Corvette Forums.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Well I can confirm it's Corvette Forums. Norton just blocked "Fake Tech Support Website 40" twice. It ONLY happens on Corvette Forums.
Looks like it is unsecure again.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CorvetteForum is not infected and, as other replies here suggest, others have not reported such an issue.

I would suggest you make sure your system is clean.

I'm guessing it's possible there is a certain advertisement that is making Norton alert you. Note that Norton is in business to sell products and services and, like other subscription-based security products, has a tendency to attempt to make their users feel their subscription-based software is earning its keep by going off with bells and whistles about any thing that may or may not be an issue.

And because it's likely not an ad in house, that also means it's mostly like not "only CorvetteForum". There's millions of website out there that I'm guessing you haven't visited to confirm it's only CorvetteForum.

Outside of that, advertisements help pay to keep CorvetteForum operating. While CorvetteForum is free to access and use, it is not free to operate. A website like CorvetteForum with the activity and bandwidth used would not run on a 9.99/month plan.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Der Flieger
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6
I just got out of a moderator meeting and I have 4 steps to help you get back up and going—

1- throw computer away-infected.

2- buy new computer

3- get good virus software

4- stay off gay **** sites

You’re welcome and Happy Thanksgiving.

Does Neece know you are really a bad man?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:13 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T
CorvetteForum is not infected and, as other replies here suggest, others have not reported such an issue.

I would suggest you make sure your system is clean.

I'm guessing it's possible there is a certain advertisement that is making Norton alert you. Note that Norton is in business to sell products and services and, like other subscription-based security products, has a tendency to attempt to make their users feel their subscription-based software is earning its keep by going off with bells and whistles about any thing that may or may not be an issue.

And because it's likely not an ad in house, that also means it's mostly like not "only CorvetteForum". There's millions of website out there that I'm guessing you haven't visited to confirm it's only CorvetteForum.

Outside of that, advertisements help pay to keep CorvetteForum operating. While CorvetteForum is free to access and use, it is not free to operate. A website like CorvetteForum with the activity and bandwidth used would not run on a 9.99/month plan.
Thank you, however, I was experiencing attacks. The intrusion kicked me out of Corvette Forums. I sent a repair request which I believe was picked up by Norton. After that request, Norton blocked the attacks, but the attacks continued to kick me out of Corvette forums. I tried several other sites with no issues. So I took the advice of one of the posts and cleaned out all the cookies using the control panel, then cleaned them out again with Norton.
That solved the problem. Apparently the Corvette Forum cookie had become corrupted. Replacing it with a new cookie, then cleaning out and replacing again has resolved the issue. A real PITA, but it's fixed now. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:13 PM
J T
IB Staff

You weren't exactly under attack. Instead, you likely picked up a specific advertising cookie that caused you to see specific ads. That's how they work.

I suspect you was seeing an ad that was claiming your computer was at risk. That alone will not cause an issue. There's a difference between seeing an ad and clicking on an ad or downloading software. In my opinion your security software was over-dramatizing an event (an ad) so that you (not you specifically) continue to pay them in the future believing you (not you specifically) was taken care of while also reporting to you the issue so that you didn't make a mistake by installing something.

This is what Norton states as the Fake Tech Support 40 message:
"This signature detects a fake antivirus scan page that displays false virus scan results."

Don't mistake what I'm saying. Security software is needed. But some get in the way or play up events to their customers so that they continue buying their software/subscription.

Depending upon which CorvetteForum cookie was corrupt, a corrupt CorvetteForum cookie would likely keep you from staying logged into CorvetteForum or disregard a few specific settings that are cookie-based. That isn't specific to CorvetteForum but is how cookies work in browsers. Some are used for advertising tracking (which some security software make a big crisis about to their user) and some are convenience - such as remembering your login credentials and some settings.

Thank you, however, I was experiencing attacks. The intrusion kicked me out of Corvette Forums. I sent a repair request which I believe was picked up by Norton. After that request, Norton blocked the attacks, but the attacks continued to kick me out of Corvette forums. I tried several other sites with no issues. So I took the advice of one of the posts and cleaned out all the cookies using the control panel, then cleaned them out again with Norton.
That solved the problem. Apparently the Corvette Forum cookie had become corrupted. Replacing it with a new cookie, then cleaning out and replacing again has resolved the issue. A real PITA, but it's fixed now. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:24 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T
You weren't exactly under attack. Instead, you likely picked up a specific advertising cookie that caused you to see specific ads. That's how they work.

I suspect you was seeing an ad that was claiming your computer was at risk. That alone will not cause an issue. There's a difference between seeing an ad and clicking on an ad or downloading software. In my opinion your security software was over-dramatizing an event (an ad) so that you (not you specifically) continue to pay them in the future believing you (not you specifically) was taken care of while also reporting to you the issue so that you didn't make a mistake by installing something.

This is what Norton states as the Fake Tech Support 40 message:
"This signature detects a fake antivirus scan page that displays false virus scan results."

Don't mistake what I'm saying. Security software is needed. But some get in the way or play up events to their customers so that they continue buying their software/subscription.

Depending upon which CorvetteForum cookie was corrupt, a corrupt CorvetteForum cookie would likely keep you from staying logged into CorvetteForum or disregard a few specific settings that are cookie-based. That isn't specific to CorvetteForum but is how cookies work in browsers. Some are used for advertising tracking (which some security software make a big crisis about to their user) and some are convenience - such as remembering your login credentials and some settings.
JT, Thank you for your response. The problem returned. Again, I kept getting kicked off of Corvette Forums and it was replaced by these fake ads promising $70 if I take a survey or telling me a certain program was outdated and giving me a link to update. Of course I deleted all of those without falling for the clickbate.
So I brought the problem to computer expert who confirmed these are an attack and he agreed that it's probably a corrupt cookie because it's focused on one site. (As an example, I logged onto Club Lexus forum for half an hour, no issues at all). He made an easy, no cost recommendation, start using Google Chrome as my browser. So I did. So far everything is working fine, in fact it appears my computer is actually responding a little faster. I'll let you know if I have to take any further action, but right now I think this last step, changing browsers appears to have worked.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

Aside from the Google Chrome browser recommendation, which is common, the other information is plain wrong. It is not an "attack" and it is not a "corrupt" cookie.

So I brought the problem to computer expert who confirmed these are an attack and he agreed that it's probably a corrupt cookie because it's focused on one site. (As an example, I logged onto Club Lexus forum for half an hour, no issues at all). He made an easy, no cost recommendation, start using Google Chrome as my browser. So I did. So far everything is working fine, in fact it appears my computer is actually responding a little faster. I'll let you know if I have to take any further action, but right now I think this last step, changing browsers appears to have worked.

Quick Reply: Problem With Corvette Forums