Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Amazon prize winner on IOS

Old 12-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Amazon prize winner on IOS

Why am I getting a pop up that I can’t exit out of from Amazon claiming I won a prize. I only get this on my Apple phone.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:33 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Me too. It’s horrible and no way out of it.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:49 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're using Chrome browser, a suggestion has been posted several times:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596241898

Those who are using Apple's own browser have previously reported this isn't an issue. I'm not aware if Apple has the same type of blocking feature as Chrome browser does.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:58 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Let’s get this fixed. I don’t want to switch to Chrome. Fix the malicious code, and we don’t need to switch browsers

What is being done to investigate and remediate?

Old 12-24-2017, 03:28 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T

Those who are using Apple's own browser have previously reported this isn't an issue. I'm not aware if Apple has the same type of blocking feature as Chrome browser does.

Chrome on IOS does not have option to set the chrome flag. Safari is having same problem here. This is IB issue that needs to be fixed.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:23 PM
J T
IB Staff

Most complaints have been on Android and there was a suggested fix using Chrome. Most of those have reported the suggested fix as working.

Actually, this is not an IB issue nor it is IB specific ads. This is an issue with advertising in general. I've posted a link, several times, to Google's own blog post from last year where they shown the millions-billions of ads that were removed for types of violations - such as this - which has only grown in volume.

Advertising issues can only be fixed by the advertising team. Not the techs.

Today is Christmas Eve and tomorrow is Christmas day. People are with their families. Only in case of an emergencies, such as total site offline, are exceptions for the team to be taken away from personal time.

Originally Posted by binster
Let’s get this fixed. I don’t want to switch to Chrome. Fix the malicious code, and we don’t need to switch browsers

What is being done to investigate and remediate?

Chrome on IOS does not have option to set the chrome flag. Safari is having same problem here. This is IB issue that needs to be fixed.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:43 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
Most complaints have been on Android and there was a suggested fix using Chrome. Most of those have reported the suggested fix as working.

Actually, this is not an IB issue nor it is IB specific ads. This is an issue with advertising in general. I've posted a link, several times, to Google's own blog post from last year where they shown the millions-billions of ads that were removed for types of violations - such as this - which has only grown in volume.

Advertising issues can only be fixed by the advertising team. Not the techs.

Today is Christmas Eve and tomorrow is Christmas day. People are with their families. Only in case of an emergencies, such as total site offline, are exceptions for the team to be taken away from personal time.

I am getting it on my new iPad using safari

Last edited by rsparks64; 12-24-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Add mote info
Old 12-24-2017, 06:13 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

So far. So good with this browser on my iPad

Adblock Browser
Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Why am I getting a pop up that I can’t exit out of from Amazon claiming I won a prize. I only get this on my Apple phone.
Yep -getting the same nonsense on my iPad. Something has infected the site backend code?
Old 12-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Lord Vetter
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by J T

What if we don’t want to use Chrome?

Sheesh
Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,066 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Vetter

Sheesh
he never said to use, but if you were to do this.....

Last edited by Travlee; 12-24-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Lord Vetter
Race Director

Originally Posted by Travlee
he never said to use, but if you were to do this.....
Getting the same crap on Chrome too. And I wasn’t talking to you n00b.

Last edited by Lord Vetter; 12-24-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:47 PM
J T
IB Staff

Getting the same crap on Chrome too. And I wasn’t talking to you n00b.
I don't know if you're also using iOS (which this specific thread was about) or just joining in and using Android, but Chrome on Android the suggested fix as linked/posted numerous times does work as stated by other members.

If you're using Chrome on iOS, it may not work. We have no control over Chrome and iOS.

Sheesh
Well since Safari doesn't appear to have the same "trick" to dealing with these types of growing issues with ads on the Internet, which Chrome is currently doing in beta form, then you'll need to go to Apple/Safari for support and lobby them to copy the feature.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Lord Vetter
Race Director

Originally Posted by J T
I don't know if you're also using iOS (which this specific thread was about) or just joining in and using Android, but Chrome on Android the suggested fix as linked/posted numerous times does work as stated by other members.

If you're using Chrome on iOS, it may not work. We have no control over Chrome and iOS.

Well since Safari doesn't appear to have the same "trick" to dealing with these types of growing issues with ads on the Internet, which Chrome is currently doing in beta form, then you'll need to go to Apple/Safari for support and lobby them to copy the feature.
The problem is unique to CF. I went to other sites using Safari and had no issues.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T

If you're using Chrome on iOS, it may not work. We have no control over Chrome and iOS

This is an IB issue. Yes, lots of bad crap on the Internet. But IB is the hosting provider here that offers a service. It is their responsibility to ensure their site works correctly, plus provides the correct levels of security for members that use this site. It is not our responsibility to go ask Apple to put extra controls in Safari to circumvent poorly managed sites
Old 12-24-2017, 09:12 PM
J T
IB Staff

The problem is unique to CF. I went to other sites using Safari and had no issues.
It is not unique to CorvetteForum and not unique to Internet Brands. There's millions of other sites that you couldn't have visited to compare to. I've linked the article from Google's blog post about bad ads in 2016 which actually tells the story and it's pretty clear it's not just unique to CF or Internet Brands.

This is an IB issue. Yes, lots of bad crap on the Internet. But IB is the hosting provider here that offers a service. It is their responsibility to ensure their site works correctly, plus provides the correct levels of security for members that use this site. It is not our responsibility to go ask Apple to put extra controls in Safari to circumvent poorly managed sites
When rogue ads are found, they are pulled. It is not as easy as clicking a button to find and pull a rogue ad. Google and other partners find and pull rogue ads as well. And if you read the article by Google, you'd see how much of a widespread issue it is and how it replicates.

If you want to stick with Apple/Safari, which was your remark, then you have to accept their products for what they do and don't do. As you are an Apple/Safari user, you (the end user) is the one using the product and it's up to you to expect and push for the same protection that other browsers and/or operating systems provide if you're actually concerned.

There's locks on doors, locks on windows, insurance, anti-virus and malware protection for computers, anti-theft devices for cars, etc., all things that we shouldn't need but are a reality. And none of it is moving in the opposite direction.

If it's not clear, I understand the concern and issue. I'm not in Advertising so this is not my department nor is this within tech's department to address. Only the advertising team. However, some suggestions have been made. If some don't want to follow the suggestions, there's not a lot that can be done. Because this is a long holiday weekend and people are with their families, this isn't going to get a magic "fix the issue" button today nor tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

This sucks, what Ive been doing is when this pops up on me I hit the back button then immediately hit close on the new window.

Get notified of new replies

To Amazon prize winner on IOS

Old 12-24-2017, 11:39 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Pops up on iPhone and iPad. Not happening on other sites I visit. Just started today and it sucks.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

I opened another thread on this. It’s been happening on iOS for 2 months. FYI
Old 12-25-2017, 11:50 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mowe
I opened another thread on this. It’s been happening on iOS for 2 months. FYI
Yep - been happening a while