Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

A$$hole spammers figured out a way around the popup workarou d

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Default A$$hole spammers figured out a way around the popup workarou d

As of 5 minutes ago I am getting popups again on both F150 forum and Corvette forum, even with the workaround implemented.

I know the mods/admins indicate it is not an Internet Brands issue but I never get the popups on any other site I frequent. Please turn up the heat on the Advertising team to put some priority on fixing the issue. It's annoying as he!! not being able to enjoy my two favorite sites. Guess I will have to decide if I want to start using the laptop instead of the phone as I will not continue to put up with the popup frustration.

At this point it certainly appears IB is not very concerned about the issue since it has been ongoing off and on for many months. The spammers are playing IB and easily winning.

Last edited by BadAV; 01-09-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
As of 5 minutes ago I am getting popups again on both F150 forum and Corvette forum, even with the workaround implemented.
First, it helps to know what device you're talking about. iOS or Android.

I know the mods/admins indicate it is not an Internet Brands issue but I never get the popups on any other site I frequent. Please turn up the heat on the Advertising team to put some priority on fixing the issue. It's annoying as he!! not being able to enjoy my two favorite sites. Guess I will have to decide if I want to start using the laptop instead of the phone as I will not continue to put up with the popup frustration.

At this point it certainly appears IB is not very concerned about the issue since it has been ongoing off and on for many months. The spammers are playing IB and easily winning.
I underlined the key point. Of the sites you visit. There's millions of other websites out there. This is not a spammer versus Internet Brands. If you look around and read a few of the links provided, you will see others reporting this very same issue for non-Internet Brands owned websites.

Issue reported on Yahoo:
https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Other-pr...ks/td-p/360265

A random topic from Apple that doesn't mention Internet Brands at all:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8220208
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Android. Samsung S6 Edge. Running the workaround as well as adblockers, anti-spam, etc.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM
British
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same. The Chrome settings workaround was working great, until today.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 PM
J T
IB Staff

Please take a screen capture of the issue so we can review.

To add/remind, the setting that we was suggesting was a beta setting within the Chrome browser. We (CorvetteForum and Internet Brands) have no involvement or control with the developers of Google's Chrome. In other words, if the spammers indeed got around the fix then that's something for Google (Chrome) to look into.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:31 PM
BadAV
Race Director

I cannot get a screenshot. So far today I have had the Amazon gift card, a Walmart gift card, and an IOS Angry Birds popup. Each multiple times. I had to go to the full site to even be able to respond.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Just now got a Youtube questionnaire.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Just now got a Youtube questionnaire.
I have the same issues with IOS, I posted a thread about it in General discussion and Admis Closed my thread, So I opened another thread about it, and they again closed it, along with a threat that if I post about it again the adds would be the least of my worries on the forum hahaha

Not sure why openly talking about an issue several of us are having is a problem.

Fix the site guys, and there wont be any further need for theses posts.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1
I have the same issues with IOS, I posted a thread about it in General discussion and Admis Closed my thread, So I opened another thread about it, and they again closed it, along with a threat that if I post about it again the adds would be the least of my worries on the forum hahaha

Not sure why openly talking about an issue several of us are having is a problem.

Fix the site guys, and there wont be any further need for theses posts.
It isn't a problem except when you talk about it in the wrong forum. That's why this Help area is here.
BTW, if any Samsung users are having this problem try using Samsung internet app with Adblock Plus installed. It was happening to me constantly in early December. I know it's annoying but it's been over a month since I've had any popups after installing Adblock Plus and using Samsung internet app.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 PM
BadAV
Race Director

They must have found the offending parties as I am running clean again on both forums.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1

Helpful information for you:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

If you have suggestions for the improvement of the Forum, questions or criticism of the Forum or its moderation, you are welcome to PM or e-mail a moderator. Please do not use an open thread for such messages, however.

That would include, but is not limited to discussions about who has been banned and why.

The work on the Forum's volunteer moderators is difficult enough without having folks calling them out in open threads.
Not unusual to get a few days vacation for violating this rule. DON'T EVER, EVER complain about a closed thread by posting a thread about it. PM a moderator or administrator.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM
BadAV
Race Director

I agree 100% with the comment about the mods/admins, Vette_DD. I was an admin on another site and it is a pretty much thankless job that takes quite a bit of time to do correctly. This site is fairly decent about not requiring a lot of moderating of childish disagreements, maybe mainly due to the average age and socioeconomic status of most Corvette owners. I want to thank the admins and moderators for the work they do for the forum.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Prescribed link worked for a while. Now I cannot access CF at all on my handheld. Had it cleaned, checked, etc. No problem with my phone.
I only get this issue here on CF.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the same pop up visiting thechive.com on my phone this morning so it's not just this site. I've just quit browsing this site on my phone and only do it from my computer. So far so good.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also getting the pop-ups on an iPhone7. As others have mentioned, this is the only site I visit using my phone where this occurs. They ate all “congratulations!” popups that redirect the user to an amazom or walmart giveaway scam. I have disabled popups on my phone, done a hard reset, and all the apple recommended tips. This appears to be a site specific issue at this point. Annoying.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Highlander1732
This appears to be a site specific issue at this point. Annoying.
It has been noted several times that this is not a specific issue to CorvetteForum. Links have been posted to Yahoo showing their users seeing the issue on their network. Links have been posted to Apple's own community discussing their users seeing the issue on other websites. However, some don't want to believe that it's bigger than CorvetteForum.

In fact, here's a recent article from Wired about the issue:
https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-m...-to-stop-them/
Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 PM
WallyWest
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
It has been noted several times that this is not a specific issue to CorvetteForum. Links have been posted to Yahoo showing their users seeing the issue on their network. Links have been posted to Apple's own community discussing their users seeing the issue on other websites. However, some don't want to believe that it's bigger than CorvetteForum.

In fact, here's a recent article from Wired about the issue:
https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-m...-to-stop-them/
Sure, it's on other sites too. Because they choose to do business with shady ad companies. Don't do that and your site won't have this problem.

I get browser hijacks every 30 seconds or so, and you can't back out of them. Have to shut the browser down and open fresh. Ads are one thing, ransomware and hijacks are unacceptable. IB *can* fix this if they so desire, and until they do I won't be visiting the site on my phone.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I got a different popup after a few days without it any popups on my iPad. I thought they had it fixed. They are not being careful when vetting their ad vendors to let this kind of crap get through.

Last edited by BayouCountry; 01-13-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A$$hole spammers figured out a way around the popup workarou d

Quick Reply: A$$hole spammers figured out a way around the popup workarou d