Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Picture attachments

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I don't know man. I live in Park City and have a MAC. IT would post pics to the forum last week.

I work in Snowbird and use a HP, PC. Installed in it, is Chrome, ME and IE....none of those will post a pic....but would and did last week. Look back at the thread I linked (and other threads of mine)....see all the pics? How do you think I posted them? And from where? Home and work. It was working

Did you read my thoughts about the pics actually uploading...but NOT posting?

What kind of service is "turning the tables", anyway? Would you like it if your mechanic or doctor did that to you? "IDK man...you're the only one who can't seem to drive this car, bro...". Come on.

How are my pics "UPLOADING" to the attachments...but not making it to the post?

Let me show you something....give me a minute here, please.....
Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Same as since the update, I click here to begin....

New, starting this weekend, THIS box pops up. I correlate this box popping up to 100% UL failure, but IDK what it really means.

So, I click "Add Attachments"....

And like before this weekend, this box comes up...

I click "Browse your Device" and I get my pics....

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-23-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I choose the Red Corvette pic b/c I like Red Corvettes.... and it's blurry, but it's showing the % uploaded...

....then it completes the upload, I see my pic appear (just like last week)....so it's UPLOADED....is it not??

Now, all I should have to do is click "Upload" and my pics should slide right into my post box...the one that I was already responding to you, in...right? They're already uploaded and stored...somewhere, aren't they? SO I click here and...

POOF! They're gone! Where did they go?

....Where'd they go? They uploaded to somewhere.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-23-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Did you read my thoughts about the pics actually uploading...but NOT posting?
Yes. That's why I said perhaps the script is not being allowed to actually insert the code into the post? Perhaps something is being blocked/filtered?

What kind of service is "turning the tables", anyway? Would you like it if your mechanic or doctor did that to you? "IDK man...you're the only one who can't seem to drive this car, bro...". Come on.
I've tried to help. Look at it from this view. This thread was originally about how the Attachments were placed inside a post. It was not about being unable to upload anything at all. You're the only one in this thread who has reported this issue. As you can see from above, others have been able to upload today. Why are you unable to do so? I don't know. But it looks to suggest it's isolated to your environment and settings. Maybe there are some others having the issue that all of you have in common. But what is that? I don't know. So far all we know is that others are able to attach but not you. You keep saying we changed something within the past 1-2 days. We're just going in circles here. I'm not at your computer. I've tried to poke you in directions I thought might help. If others are able to able to upload but not you, I'm really at a loss. When I click the Paperclip icon, I get the upload dialog. Chrome. Firefox. IE. Even Edge.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Welp....you keep saying that you've changed nothing and that I've changed something. I changed something on two different computers in two different locations....and didn't know that I changed something? Or two completely unrelated networks changed on me? I don't think that's likely. Do you? You saw what happens. Who do you have, who you can ask about that little box that's popping up? That doesn't come up for you? Someone knows.

You have "hinted" at things...but IDK what those things are. Tell me what specifically to check, what settings....I'm a car guy. I'm not a computer guy. I...don't...know.

Should I start another thread about this, BTW? You're the authority here. Tell me what I should do, please.

Understandably, I want to be on a forum that works. If I can't figure this out, I'll take my build project and my 25+ years of fleet management knowledge (which helps folks, which keeps them coming back, which makes IB $$$) and head off to a forum that works.

I'm going to try one more thing.....I'll get right back to you.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Isn't Thirdgen.org an IB site? I just post/attached a pic over there from this same PC. IDK. IDK what I'm doing.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:12 PM
J T
IB Staff

Isn't Thirdgen.org an IB site? I just post/attached a pic over there from this same PC. IDK. IDK what I'm doing.
Big difference is you used the legacy Attachment system on that site. You didn't use the optional Uploader that CorvetteForum has as default. So it doesn't really tell us much since the two are very different.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Are we done?

Should I start a separate thread? How do I find a solution here?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

OK, I tried "left click and hold", in an attempt to move the image downward. Didn't work, I got an icon of a circle with a downward line through it...the "no" symbol
Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If you go to the top left most part of the pic, just outside or just to the left of the pic, left click. You won't see it, but your cursor is now there. Now hit "Enter" or "return" a couple times and you'll see your pic move down. Now, type above the pic...or copy and past your text into the space above the pic.

OR
Click ON the pic, it turns blue. Right click and select "copy", OR hit Ctrl + "c". Move your cursor to where ever you want the pic and click there, then right click "Paste", OR Ctrl + "v".

EDIT: ^This^ is all after you click "Upload" and are back in your regular posting/typing dialogue box. (When pics actually upload for me), this is how I move them around w/in the post itself before I hit "Submit".

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-24-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OK, I tried "left click and hold", in an attempt to move the image downward. Didn't work, I got an icon of a circle with a downward line through it...the "no" symbol
Left-click and hold on the image and start to drag down. The contents in the window should scroll. Like any normal windows-based system. If you get the cursor outside of the window you may see the black circle with a line through it because you can't drag the image outside of the window. The idea is to move the image through "gesture" to get the contents in the window to start scrolling the way you want. Again, it works exactly like any other windows-based system.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:54 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

So I'm the one who started this thread and I appreciate all of the input. It seems like this is definitely an issue across platforms. I still haven't seen a response that says "we agree there's an issue." The only tests you have performed are on Windows, and yet it seems like there are still issues in Windows. I for one, gave you all of the detail you asked for and more, as a Mac user (not using Safari), and I haven't seen a response on that either. FWIW I am a very technical user, software and internet applications are my profession, and I'm happy to assist if you need.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by mark4cam
So I'm the one who started this thread and I appreciate all of the input. It seems like this is definitely an issue across platforms. I still haven't seen a response that says "we agree there's an issue." The only tests you have performed are on Windows, and yet it seems like there are still issues in Windows. I for one, gave you all of the detail you asked for and more, as a Mac user (not using Safari), and I haven't seen a response on that either. FWIW I am a very technical user, software and internet applications are my profession, and I'm happy to assist if you need.
It may have gotten lost in the side issue. To answer your question, I believe it is working as designed. Minus the fact Safari and MAC have their own set of oddities. It sounds like this function may not work for MAC. I will check further with the team on that issue.

You indicated that all the attachments end up at the top of the post rather than the bottom. In the old legacy Attachment manager all attachments were placed at the bottom of the post. Advanced users could reference the attachment links by copy/paste and place them inside the post. However, the attachments at the bottom remained. So if you did the aforementioned, you had duplicate images because you could not change the images that displayed at the bottom of the post.

With the new editor, the first attachment is placed where you have your cursor placed before opening the Uploader. This is the case for 4 browsers on Windows (Chrome, IE, Edge and Firefox) that I have tested and confirmed with others. If you upload multiple attachments during that "session" then they're placed together wherever the cursor was placed prior to opening the Uploader. You can then simply re-arrange the pictures in the editor.

You can't have multiple cursors active in a windows system to be able to have the background window still active and directing where the upload is going in the foreground window. The last place you have your cursor in the window when you use the Upload is where all attachments will go for that "session". You could upload one attachment at one time and place the cursor in the position you want that one attachment to be placed by going through multiple upload "sessions". But the drag and drop is more efficient.

It sounds like MAC specifically isn't working correctly, correct? No matter where you place your cursor prior to using the Uploader, the attachments are always placed at top on MAC environment? If that's correct, we'll check with the team on that specific environment.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:38 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes that is correct. Chrome on a Mac, extensions enabled, disabled, doesn’t seem to matter. No matter where the cursor is before clicking the paper clip, the resulting image will be placed at the top of the post, every time.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by mark4cam
Yes that is correct. Chrome on a Mac, extensions enabled, disabled, doesn’t seem to matter. No matter where the cursor is before clicking the paper clip, the resulting image will be placed at the top of the post, every time.
Thanks. We'll do some investigating on that.

Quick Reply: Picture attachments