Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

My latest experience with Amazon popups, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Getting requests do a Flash Update now. I read multiple forums, blogs and websites and CF is the ONLY one this happens on.
Since there's already a thread regarding the flash update ad, linked below, we ask that members keep the topic on track as what you're reporting is slightly different:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-malware.html

Also, the Flash update ad is well beyond CorvetteForum and has quite a bit of history. It is not specific or only for CorvetteForum visitors. A Google search will show quite a bit of discussion, warnings, etc., about how large of an issue it is. The team will work to isolate and resolve the issue based on the information provided in the aforementioned link to help narrow down the offenders.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Que Rich
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

I am having the same issues with Walmart and amazon pop ups

Last edited by Que Rich; 12-24-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:04 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Did well for a few days, but today the problem persists.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m actually getting the same issue on Foxnews.com right now... which goes to show this is a far more pervasive issue than just this site.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

I’ve been dealing with this issue for a while now. Several different sites and when it starts it’s almost impossible to get it to stop. I’ve actually had pretty good luck the last few weeks... until I clicked the link to enter this thread and it instantly comes back
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
I’m actually getting the same issue on Foxnews.com right now... which goes to show this is a far more pervasive issue than just this site.
Yep we know it’s on other sites too (that use ads) but in my case, this is the site I use most frequently, hence the most obvious impact.

Still a problem:

Last edited by SoCalC7; 12-28-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:51 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Wheeee!

Last edited by SoCalC7; 12-28-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Could it be that more we talk about it the more the crawlers have to find and the more it happens?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Could it be that more we talk about it the more the crawlers have to find and the more it happens?
No. That’s not how it works.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

And again

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Sawbone
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
My apologies for the continued inconvenience of these rogue ads. As J T noted, these ads are not exclusive to CorvetteForum, but we are working to minimize their impact as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the issue isn't so much that it's just a single bad ad or provider. Instead, it's legitimate ads being injected with malicious code. This means that even when we block a single provider, the rogue ad code jumps to a different one almost immediately.

That said, we have implemented filtering software to help us better identify and preemptively block ads that may include the malicious code, and are working on further safeguards should rogue ads continue to slip through.

If you continue to experience the redirects, please keep sharing screenshots here. Thanks!
The redirects are still running rampant. If you want screenshots just visit the site.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Originally Posted by Sawbone
The redirects are still running rampant. If you want screenshots just visit the site.
Yes. That’s been my main point this whole time. It’s not rocket science to reproduce, and it can surely be reproduced in a staging environment by IB QA & Dev resources.

In the meantime, the nice thing to do for customer experience would be to turn off ads in production until they get it sorted.

Many of us are NOT using the site in the meantime, so what’s really the difference? :-)

Last edited by SoCalC7; 12-29-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our home computer is Windows 10/IE11 and we never get the popups.

My iPhone started getting them several weeks ago, to the point that it was unusable for CF. Then about a week ago, they suddenly stopped. It would be interesting to know why my problem has stopped and others continue. Could it be related to what sections of CF or threads we watch, that makes the difference? Or something else?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:00 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our home computer is Windows 10/IE11 and we never get the popups.

My iPhone started getting them several weeks ago, to the point that it was unusable for CF. Then about a week ago, they suddenly stopped. It would be interesting to know why my problem has stopped and others continue. Could it be related to what sections of CF or threads we watch, that makes the difference? Or something else?
Many online ad engines are content aware, so yes, certain threads (and thread content) will trigger certain ads.

It’s not a stretch to think that the jackals who exert enough energy to create fake ad companies to use as Trojan horses for these popups would spend the extra time to maximize how often their toxic ads are presented.

So yes... they have probably done their research and optimized their ads to primarily display on the most popular topics... like C8.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:32 PM
J T
IB Staff

I don't think they want as many screen captures as much as they want other data, as described in Jason's previous reply to this thread which is also quoted below. Those who do want to help can do so following the instructions.

My apologies that the ad issue bubbled back up already. We work with a company called Confiant to preemptively identify and block the ads, but clearly there's more to be done.

To help them more effectively filter out the rogue ads, Confiant asked for some additional assistance in identifying the ads' sources. If you're willing to help, there's a special browser app called HttpWatch that you can download from the iOS App Store to capture a log of where the redirect occurs and where it takes you. To be clear, this app will only log your activity when you're specifically using it. It won't track any activity from your regular browser.

I've attached a PDF with full instructions of how to generate the log and where to email it. We continue to collect data on our end as well, but the more we can send them collectively, the faster the issue can be resolved.

Thanks for your assistance, and sorry again for the inconvenience these ads are causing.
Originally Posted by SoCalC7
Many of us are NOT using the site in the meantime, so what’s really the difference? :-)
Really? How do you actively post in this thread while not using the site?!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:37 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

IB QA & Devs should be using this “special browser” to figure it out. They want me to do their work, let me know the address of their accounts receivable department and i’m happy to work at my hourly billable rate.

I reply here because I get email alerts as a result of being subscribed to this thread. I have stopped using the site unless an interesting email notification prompts me to click to view latest responses on a subscribed thread.

When I do so, I’m often immediately met with a popup, so I close and don’t return.

Last edited by SoCalC7; 12-29-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My latest experience with Amazon popups, etc

Old 12-29-2018, 02:43 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by SoCalC7
IB QA & Devs should be using this “special browser” to figure it out. They want me to do their work, let me know the address of their accounts receivable department and i’m happy to work at my hourly billable rate.
Thanks for your feedback. If you do not want to help the community, we can move on from this so that those who do want to help and see the issue more quickly resolved can do so.

Those who do want to help, I think it's best to follow Jason's information as I don't think posting screen captures is enough information.

My apologies that the ad issue bubbled back up already. We work with a company called Confiant to preemptively identify and block the ads, but clearly there's more to be done.

To help them more effectively filter out the rogue ads, Confiant asked for some additional assistance in identifying the ads' sources. If you're willing to help, there's a special browser app called HttpWatch that you can download from the iOS App Store to capture a log of where the redirect occurs and where it takes you. To be clear, this app will only log your activity when you're specifically using it. It won't track any activity from your regular browser.

I've attached a PDF with full instructions of how to generate the log and where to email it. We continue to collect data on our end as well, but the more we can send them collectively, the faster the issue can be resolved.

Thanks for your assistance, and sorry again for the inconvenience these ads are causing.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Sawbone
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
I don't think they want as many screen captures as much as they want other data, as described in Jason's previous reply to this thread which is also quoted below.
ok, but I don’t work there. The people that get paid to work there should be on this, not me.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 PM
J T
IB Staff

ok, but I don’t work there. The people that get paid to work there should be on this, not me.
To be clear, they have been on this. As some have previously stated and understand the issue, this issue is well larger than CorvetteForum and is very well known to be a cat and mouse game. Internet Brands is simply asking assistance from those who are willing to provide it. Some have done so by posting some screen captures as requested. Now the request is the tool, as previously discussed, because that provides more information into the source of the issue rather than the result. This is for helping the community that has been freely available to access and use. If members want to help the community by participating with the request of gathering more data via the tool, that's great and will help more quickly resolve the issue as Internet Brands has stated. Those who do not wish to help, that's fine too but let's not continue to clutter this thread with defiant comments and/or ones that don't directly help the community with the issue at hand so those who do want to help the community can do so.

Quick Reply: My latest experience with Amazon popups, etc