In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Honoring the Memory of Chip Miller of Corvette Events @ Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Honoring the Memory of Chip Miller of Corvette Events @ Carlisle

Chip addressing the Corvettes@Carlisle crowd in the mid to late 80's. Third from right is co-owner Bill Miller. I'm in that crowd somewhere.

It was five years ago that Chip Miller, co-owner with friend Bill Miller (no relation) of Carlisle Events, died of Amyloidosis at still a young age.

I met Chip once at Corvettes@Carlisle as a vendor and he was so helpful analyzing a potential vette purchase from another party. Chip (and Bill) had a major impact on the car world, not just the east coast, and not just Corvettes. Chip was great guy with a super personality by any standards. Let me quote from some info I gathered that says so much about the man and the disease called Amyloidosis.

"Chip Miller was known worldwide for his love of Corvettes, his Corvette Collection and for creating the largest Corvette Show in the world, Corvettes@Carlisle. He and his close friend Bill Miller founded the successful automotive event production company, Carlisle Events, and purchased the Carlisle (Pa) Fairgrounds.

Chip was diagnosed with primary Amyloidosis in December of 2003 and passed away March 25, 2004. Currently, there is no cure for the disease.

Chip and his family used a journal on the website www.CaringBridge.org. He desribed his condition in his first journal entry. 'The doctors say there is also no known reason some people are single out with the Amyloid disease, but only 1,200-3,200 cases are reported worldwide per year. Others certainly perish undiagnosed'

Chip first noticed that he was always tired and felt out of shape, even though he was 'always in high gear', as he put it, and had been in excellent shape. He would become short of breath easily and he seemed to retain fluid.

'I raced at Summit Point at the end of September. I'm glad I did - It was the first time I really competed with my '59 SVRA Corvette and enjoyed it. ...I literally was out of steam each time I pulled the car in. Again, I thought something was wrong with me, but it didn't knock me over the head and say 'go to the hospital'.

'The next weekend was Fall Carlisle, and I wasn't myself. Some shortness of breath and some more fluid buidup. I did the best I could... sleep seemed to be more necessary than ever before. Just after Fall Carlisle was the Hershey Flea Market. I started walking it in 1970 or 1971 with Bill Miller. In 1973 we conceived the Carlisle swap meat during the show. We've never missed a Hershey show since, and 2003 was no exception. Only problem was, I was out of steam'.

A few months later, in December, Chip was diagnosed with Primary Amyloidosis. Chip went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. on March 3 to begin preparing to receive stem cell treatment. Shortly after arrival, he underwent surgery to remove a blood clot in his arm, and steroid treatment for blood clot in his heart. The stem cell treatment was delayed until the clot in his heart dissolved.

Complications from steroid treatment resulted in Chip being re-admitted to the hospital on March 17. At that point, the doctors ruled out the stem cell treatment option out of concern for Chip's ability to handle the treatment. The family began planning a trip home where Chip would receive Hospice care.

Sadly, Chip's health deteriorated quickly, and he was not able to return home. He died on Thursday, March 25. Chip's life was celebrated with nearly 500 friends and family at a memorial service in Carlisle, Pa.

After Chip Miller was diagnosed, he decided that the annual benefit auction held during his signature event Corvettes@Carlisle, would support research and awareness of Amyloidosis. He donated his 1957 Corvette for auction. $160,000 was raised during auction in 2004.

When asked about his decision to donate the car, Chip said, 'When you're faced with fighting a terminal disease and realize that you can do something for others in the future, it's an easy and logical thing for me to do. The overwhelming support of my family validated this decision'.

'It seemed like the right car,' he said of why he chose this particular vehicle. 'During the years that I've owned it, this car has brought me tremendous joy, but not as much as knowing the good it will do in helping Amyloid research'.

Signs & symptoms of Amyloidosis depend on the organ affected. The wide range of signs and symptoms makes it difficult to diagnose, and there may even be no symptoms. Some signs and symtoms may include: Swelling of ankles & legs, shortness of breath, numbness/tingling in hands/feet, abnormal protein in urine, severe fatique, enlarged tongue, irregular heartbeat, difficulty swallowing, weakness, weight loss, diarrhea, skin changes".

In remembrance of a great man to our Vette hobby, you could help the Chip Miller Foundation make a difference in the lives of others by making a tax deductible gift, as I am doing now.
> Chip Miller Charitable Foundation <
1000 Bryn Mawr Road
Carlisle, PA 17013

Call or visit his web site www.ChipMiller.org
717-243-7855

Softly as I leave you. ep

As a footnote let me say that Chip and Bill could easily have been the perfect stars for the roles of Todd & Buzz in any re-make of the TV series Route 66.

Please chime in and make some comments.....together with Bill, Chip MADE Carlisle "a happening". How big? 30,000 - 40,000 vendors each and every year (all events total) by my estimation. I can't imagine not having a Corvettes@Carlisle event.

John in FLA

Last edited by cor28vettes; 05-21-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added image in memory of
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You can also show your support by attending the Corvettes for Chip Show.
See info on link below.
http://www.corvettesforchip.com/index.html

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Chip was a great guy and I am glad to be able to have had him as as a friend
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

No one can say enough concerning the type of person Chip was. Just a person only everyone could hope to be. He was in our Corvette Club and treated everyone as long term friends. He might have left us as a living person but his spirit will never be forgotten by any of us who were lucky enough to know him.
Chick
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, Chip seemed like a serious car collector judging by the collection on the ChipMiller.org link.

RIP.

RMX
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for all of your warm thoughts regarding my father. I miss him dearly, there's not a day that goes by I don't think about him. He was a true mentor, best friend and incredible father all wrapped up into one. I was fortunate to have the time we had together and don't take a second of it for granted. I can't believe it's been 5 years, it seems like yesterday.

Again, thanks for your warm thoughts & prayers.

Sincerely,

Lance
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

The torch has been passed to you Lance, and from what I gather, you have carried it well for those 5 yrs.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I met Chip Miller with CF writer Ronnie Hartman a number of years ago. He was truly a gentlemen in every aspect imaginable. Great guy, Great loss to us all.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Secret Vette Girl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

This was a lovely tribute to Chip. Please come show your support of the Chip Miller Charitable Foundation by placing a bid at the silent auction that benefits the Foundation at Corvettes at Carlisle in the main tent. If you have anything you would like to donate that we could include in the auction, please PM me.

Thank you,
Angela
Board Member, CMCF
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had met and talked with Chip quite afew times at Carlisle.
But my Fondest memory was when he invited our Corvette Club (CCDV) of which Chip was an Honorary member to his Home for a Barbeque. Now that was a nice Caravan. I believe we had at least 30Vettes cruising up the Pa Turnpike from Willow Grove to Carlisle.
The Barbeque was across the street from his home at the fairgrounds. Chip wass a Very Gracious host and invited us to his home and garage to view his Corvette Collection. What an unbelievable collection it was. He also had one of the sweetest AC Cobras, a SB with Whitewalls. If you weren't wearing sneakers you had to wear just socks to tour his garage as he had Beautifully polished floors.

The last time I saw or spoke with Chip was at the Parade in town and my wife and I also got to meet and speak with Elfie Duntov.
It was a Sad Day for the Corvette world and Hobby when Chip passed away.
Rick

Last edited by 65convt; 08-16-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Nice post pearlwhite and also a very nice reply thre from Rick aka, 65convt.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Chip, just one time at Carlisle and he certainly was an honarable man and quite the gentleman....

A great person with a huge contribution to all regarding the love of automobiles.

Lance, you've done an admirable job carrying on where your Dad left off... I am sure he's very proud of you.

Glenn
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

I came across that image on top by reading a thread started by Mike@Criswell. The image appeared in todays thread which I will link.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3990505

It's now been 13 years since the passing of Chip Miller.

Gone but not forgotten.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:07 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Still thinking of you my friend. R.I.P.

Get notified of new replies

To Honoring the Memory of Chip Miller of Corvette Events @ Carlisle

Quick Reply: Honoring the Memory of Chip Miller of Corvette Events @ Carlisle