In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Dad (Wild Bill)

Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Default Dad (Wild Bill)

Its with a very heavy heart that I write this as my dear father has left this earth and joined the many family members we have and also share in heaven.

My Dad was the absolute greatest man ive ever know, im so proud to be his son, so happy to have had 42 wonderful years with him, and very greatful that he had his health up until the very end.

Dad was a car guy when he was young, wild, and free. He met my mother when he still drag raced old (57) Chevy's and his nickname "Wild Bill" was painted on the side of his car and tattooed on his arm. Sure that was a different time, but you get the idea of what he was like, typical all American car guy.

Dad went to work at GM in the early 1960's and eventually transferred to the new GM plant in OKC when it opened in 1979. Mom had just been diagnosed with Lupus shortly after arriving a year later, and some of the best doctors in the country were able to save her life and not a moment too soon as she was deathly ill. Dad kept the family together, raising my sister and I, all the while making sure we were taken care of while mom spent weeks in the hospital. Somehow he was able to keep it all together and he did an admirable job.

Eventually Dad would retire from GM in 2002, him and Mom build their "retirement cottage" on 4 acres southwest of OKC in the country where they would enjoy hosting family and friends, working on their land, and generally being at peace with themselves and nature. Dad enjoyed great health for a man his age, never had much of a complaint other than he would occasionally work too hard on his land, but that was something he really enjoyed doing.

A couple of weeks back we had some snow, and while Mom was out running errands in town, Dad got outside and made a giant 'I (heart symbol) U" in the snow with his feet. Then he painted the outlines in green "I, U" and then red " <3 " for the heart. When Mom pulled into the driveway she was surprised to see the message he had left her in the snow. Dad just chuckled and told her he wanted her to see it and it was there in case he forgot to get her a Valentines Day gift. That was my dad though, always such a sweet person, and quite funny at the same time.

Valentines Day morning, at around 6 am, Dad got out of bed and suffered a massive stroke. Mom got him to the ER where he fought admirably for several days but wasn't able to overcome and he finally passed on Feb 19th. Dad may have been 75 years old but was able to give the gift of life to others by way of liver and kidney donation.

I took my first ever ride in a Corvette with Dad, back in 85, when he kicked around the idea of trading in his Trans Am on a new vette. The saleseman let me and dad take the vette out for a spin, ill never forget Dad getting on the highway and getting the car up to 85mph and the speedometer would just blink past that. Dad never did get himself a vette but always took a liking to mine.

Dad was the sweetest man I ever knew, the best father, provider, husband, family man there ever was as far as I could tell. I will always cherish the times we would meet at the movie theater and catch a movie in the afternoon, just the two of us. Dad knew how much I loved him and vice versa, but damn, what I wouldn't give for one more visit with him just to listen to his stories again. Those were the best moments, even if I didn't know what he was talking about some of the times, well it didn't really matter. Just to hear his voice was a gift. Im so proud to have been his son.

Till we meet again Dad
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm very sorry for your loss
As hard as it is, you have many years of cherished memories to remember him by. And you are the person you are today because of him. It's very heartwarming to hear how proud of him you are.
God Bless you and your family
Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....

Thank you guys for the kind words. Its still obviously very tough for our family and doesn't seem real. Everytime I wake up I think of Dad hoping this was all a dream...but no....its not. Guess time will ease the pain and the shock we are feeling.

Just glad to know Dad is in heaven now and one day I can meet up with him again.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

My condolences! I lost my Dad the day before yours, and have posted here as well. This is a great Forum with lots of good folks!

Sounds like we were both fortunate to have had great Dads!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 PM
z edge
Race Director

Originally Posted by DonOH
Sorry for your loss.
Thank you very much

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
My condolences! I lost my Dad the day before yours, and have posted here as well. This is a great Forum with lots of good folks!

Sounds like we were both fortunate to have had great Dads!

Indeed Sir and im very sorry for your loss as well. Heaven has some really special people up there....we'll see them again.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You write very well of a person in your life, your father. I would think that maybe for the extended family, some of whom didn't get to meet or see him very often, this would be a very fitting tribute to his memory. I believe it's something to share, a gift to them about him, and of your skills to recall and describe just who he really was. And for those who read it could become as well, call it an inspiration. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by z edge
Its with a very heavy heart that I write this as my dear father has left this earth and joined the many family members we have and also share in heaven.

My Dad was the absolute greatest man ive ever know, im so proud to be his son, so happy to have had 42 wonderful years with him, and very greatful that he had his health up until the very end.

Dad was a car guy when he was young, wild, and free. He met my mother when he still drag raced old (57) Chevy's and his nickname "Wild Bill" was painted on the side of his car and tattooed on his arm. Sure that was a different time, but you get the idea of what he was like, typical all American car guy.

Dad went to work at GM in the early 1960's and eventually transferred to the new GM plant in OKC when it opened in 1979. Mom had just been diagnosed with Lupus shortly after arriving a year later, and some of the best doctors in the country were able to save her life and not a moment too soon as she was deathly ill. Dad kept the family together, raising my sister and I, all the while making sure we were taken care of while mom spent weeks in the hospital. Somehow he was able to keep it all together and he did an admirable job.

Eventually Dad would retire from GM in 2002, him and Mom build their "retirement cottage" on 4 acres southwest of OKC in the country where they would enjoy hosting family and friends, working on their land, and generally being at peace with themselves and nature. Dad enjoyed great health for a man his age, never had much of a complaint other than he would occasionally work too hard on his land, but that was something he really enjoyed doing.

A couple of weeks back we had some snow, and while Mom was out running errands in town, Dad got outside and made a giant 'I (heart symbol) U" in the snow with his feet. Then he painted the outlines in green "I, U" and then red " <3 " for the heart. When Mom pulled into the driveway she was surprised to see the message he had left her in the snow. Dad just chuckled and told her he wanted her to see it and it was there in case he forgot to get her a Valentines Day gift. That was my dad though, always such a sweet person, and quite funny at the same time.

Valentines Day morning, at around 6 am, Dad got out of bed and suffered a massive stroke. Mom got him to the ER where he fought admirably for several days but wasn't able to overcome and he finally passed on Feb 19th. Dad may have been 75 years old but was able to give the gift of life to others by way of liver and kidney donation.

I took my first ever ride in a Corvette with Dad, back in 85, when he kicked around the idea of trading in his Trans Am on a new vette. The saleseman let me and dad take the vette out for a spin, ill never forget Dad getting on the highway and getting the car up to 85mph and the speedometer would just blink past that. Dad never did get himself a vette but always took a liking to mine.

Dad was the sweetest man I ever knew, the best father, provider, husband, family man there ever was as far as I could tell. I will always cherish the times we would meet at the movie theater and catch a movie in the afternoon, just the two of us. Dad knew how much I loved him and vice versa, but damn, what I wouldn't give for one more visit with him just to listen to his stories again. Those were the best moments, even if I didn't know what he was talking about some of the times, well it didn't really matter. Just to hear his voice was a gift. Im so proud to have been his son.

Till we meet again Dad

I know he was proud to have you as his son. There is no doubt. He will come to you in a very significant way, and you will know it is him.

I don't know why I wrote this, but I was compelled to do so. For what that means.

My sympathy and understanding.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry to hear of your family's loss.
Godspeed to your Father
Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Very sorry for your loss-you will never be alone for he rides with you wherever you go now -I talk to my late dad every day thanking him for all he has taught me...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Dad

So sorry for your sudden loss. Sounds like he was a great guy and father!! I lost my dad about a year ago and was with him at the end. I said my goodbye and he knew I was there and I know he got some comfort from that. Hang in there.

RJ
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 PM
CHARGED UP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

So sorry for your loss. I am sure he knows you were so proud to be his son.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
z edge
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96KICKS
I know he was proud to have you as his son. There is no doubt. He will come to you in a very significant way, and you will know it is him.

I don't know why I wrote this, but I was compelled to do so. For what that means.

My sympathy and understanding.
I appreciate all of the comments they are all very nice! This one is especially interesting I thank you for writing this.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 PM
z edge
Race Director

Thank you all so much for your comments, again. I read them again just now and it really means so much. I was thinking about Dad today (as usual) and this thread helped me out. God Bless all of you good folks. I will keep you all in my prayers as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:12 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for sharing, your dad was a great guy i can tell, thanks for sharing your memories of him with us

Get notified of new replies

To Dad (Wild Bill)

Search this Thread