In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

RIP Scott Smith (Scotty's Southwest Corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Dittohead_nm
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default RIP Scott Smith (Scotty's Southwest Corvette)

I did a search before posting but didn't see where this has been posted (which kinda surprised me). Anyone in the Albuquerque area who is a Corvette owner will know the name "Scotty" of Scotty's Southwest Corvette. He is one of the best Corvette mechanics I have ever run across.

Anyway, my son recently tried to call him about some work on his Z06 and, after not getting an answer, he did a Google search and discovered that Scott Smith (aka Scotty) passed away on August 21st of last year (2017).

What a tremendous loss to the Corvette community - anyone who knew Scotty will know what I mean.

Rest in Peace, Scotty.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Dittohead_nm
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran

Just to give you all an idea what kind of guy Scotty was, I'll relate the following true story. A couple of years back, my son called me from out in no-man's land in eastern New Mexico. He was on his way to reserve duty in Oklahoma when he had a blowout. Of course my son's ZO6 did not have a spare and he was only able to get hold of me on his cell phone.

I gave Scotty a call and explained my son's situation and Scotty gave me a loaner wheel with a tire. I drove out from Albuquerque to where my son was with the loaner wheel/tire and that was enough to get my son to the next town where he was able to buy a new tire. Scotty really saved my son's bacon that day!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What a bummer. It's nice to hear a mechanic being missed.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:43 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like Scotty was one of those guys that went above and beyond taking care of his customers

Sorry to hear of his passing
Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 PM
brit z06
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dittohead_nm
Just to give you all an idea what kind of guy Scotty was, I'll relate the following true story. A couple of years back, my son called me from out in no-man's land in eastern New Mexico. He was on his way to reserve duty in Oklahoma when he had a blowout. Of course my son's ZO6 did not have a spare and he was only able to get hold of me on his cell phone.

I gave Scotty a call and explained my son's situation and Scotty gave me a loaner wheel with a tire. I drove out from Albuquerque to where my son was with the loaner wheel/tire and that was enough to get my son to the next town where he was able to buy a new tire. Scotty really saved my son's bacon that day!
A few years back I shipped my then C5 to the US and "did' Route 66 including a trip to Bowling Green.
When I passed though Oklahoma City I had the Vette serviced at a main dealer. Somehow they caused a major problem which surfaced in Albuquerque. It was late Saturday afternoon when I spotted a guy getting into a C5 in a parking lot and asked me if he new a local guy who could help me with my problem.
He phoned Scotty and half an later Scotty trust a coffee in my hand ,put the vette on the lift in his workshop and had me on the road again with the problem solved within the hour.
As I left his workshop Scotty gave me his phone number and told me to give him a ring if I had any more problems.
As it happened the dreaded C5 steering lock problem happened while I was in Las Vegas. He went beyond the call of duty suggested pulling various fuses etc all to no avail unfortunately.Iw ill remember him for helping a stranger in a foreign country in their hour of need ! R.i.P.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Christina Quiroz
Cruising

Default Scotty

Originally Posted by Dittohead_nm
I did a search before posting but didn't see where this has been posted (which kinda surprised me). Anyone in the Albuquerque area who is a Corvette owner will know the name "Scotty" of Scotty's Southwest Corvette. He is one of the best Corvette mechanics I have ever run across.

Anyway, my son recently tried to call him about some work on his Z06 and, after not getting an answer, he did a Google search and discovered that Scott Smith (aka Scotty) passed away on August 21st of last year (2017).

What a tremendous loss to the Corvette community - anyone who knew Scotty will know what I mean.

Rest in Peace, Scotty.
Scotty was absolutely the best Corvette mechanic around. I was going to him when he was at gallas

Last edited by Christina Quiroz; 02-02-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 AM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Sounds like a true loss to all.

Rest in Peace Scotty.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Lissy
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Sounds like a true loss to all.

Rest in Peace Scotty.
Yes indeed , Scotty was not only the best mechanic but also a wonderful person . He is greatly missed.

Get notified of new replies

To RIP Scott Smith (Scotty's Southwest Corvette)

Quick Reply: RIP Scott Smith (Scotty's Southwest Corvette)