In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

RIP Ike

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Mikec4hm
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP Ike

RIP Isaac J Counts (Ike) ( Jr ) 81
Passed away September 9th 2018
Originally from Sunbury Ohio
Moved to North Fort Myers Florida

Avid race car driver around Ohio then SW Florida in the late 1950s early 1960s mostly 1/4 mile some oval at Sebring.
Was track manager of Buckingham Drag Strip, when they shut down the strip in late 50s aprox. they gave the lights \ tree to him.

Was known at time to frequent with another racer and long time friend Chip Rollins and race with such legends as Don Gartlit His car was a 1957 Corvette called El Diablo
In 1962 I was born and I was told he gave up racing to raise family
He had so many trophies and old 8mm movies of races maybe some of them are still around.

He built and we managed as family Seminole Campground in North Fort Myers Fl. 1968ish till 1980
Then was a Real Estate Broker for family business Builders Realty Services up till his passing

After being diagnosed in 2017 with stage 4 Lung Cancer and radiation ,chemotherapy , the cancer spread to the brain and ended his battle and struggle. I know dad would not have wanted to continue that quality of life and went peacefully in his sleep at home. The last year I was lucky enough to get back closer to him, take a break from work and take him to alot of his appointments. I will have those times in memory forever . This was a man who helped me build my first car a 67 camaro put on the 4barrel , the headers, etc and then tell me he better not catch me racing on street , that there is a place ( on strip ) lol We all know the ending ( odd way of catching ) overheard a friend who worked behind counter of local market talking about us racing and etc etc .. Walked into my room asked where my car keys was took them and proceeded to tell me why he was selling my car but he did give me the money so I could get another. There were others but not like the first.

In the early 2000 when the real estate market was doing well one of my brothers also realtor bought a 1985 Corvette for dad just for him to drive occasionally to remind of his old race car. He just kept in garage and told me it was nothing like his old vette , that it needed to be changed over to old school ( carb and dist ) and we said maybe we were not to old for another father son project. But this was not to be. Now I have the car and have plans to work on with my 23 year old son as tribute to his grandfather. We will post pictures soon and hopefully as we progress. I am glad I found this forum and plan to ask alot so I make as less mistakes as possible. Everytime I look at the car I remember his face as he was bending over the car listening to engine.

I am gonna miss you dad
Your loving son Mike
Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Cool story about the '85 vette and I'm sure working on it with your son will make your father proud.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Mike, sorry to hear of your father's passing.
I agree - for you and your son to work on the '85 will be quality bonding time for the two of you and will also memorialize your father's love of cars that he passed on to his family.
Best wishes with your project!
Regards, Larry

Get notified of new replies

To RIP Ike

Quick Reply: RIP Ike