Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've waited 5 decades for a Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Johnbar
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Hameister, I swear I was thinking of you yesterday and remembering when you had said 28 days to go. I bet that sucker has shipped, stay by that phone and keep your camera handy. Better still, have some video you when you pick it up!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Johnbar
Hameister, I swear I was thinking of you yesterday and remembering when you had said 28 days to go. I bet that sucker has shipped, stay by that phone and keep your camera handy. Better still, have some video you when you pick it up!!
Yupper, this is the real anxious part of the waiting cycle. I'd call my contact in Bowling Green, to ask her to check the shipping status. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for her, she's on her way to prepare for the unveiling of the C7 tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to call her Monday.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
0BillJacobs-James
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the 1st-4th shift light comes on it automatically takes you into 4th gear. If you are going to slow to stay in 4th gear you can downshift into 2nd gear.

James
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BillJacobs-James
When the 1st-4th shift light comes on it automatically takes you into 4th gear. If you are going to slow to stay in 4th gear you can downshift into 2nd gear.

James

Thank you for the "heads up", James.

I've read a lot about that 1-4 shift, and saw the "Skip Shift" mods, etc.

Frankly, I doubt that it will be an issue for me at all, because unless there is something unique about the Corvette, I generally shift out of 1st gear in most cars at about 22 to 25mph, and at that point I'm already past the "lets save gas spot".
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
0BillJacobs-James
Former Vendor

Yeah I never really had a problem to where the skip shift was an annoyance on the road. The only place it bothered me was in parking lots where it would put me in 4th and the car would start bogging down, and I would downshift. Sounds like you've got a nice one on order.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Yeah I never really had a problem to where the skip shift was an annoyance on the road. The only place it bothered me was in parking lots where it would put me in 4th and the car would start bogging down, and I would downshift. Sounds like you've got a nice one on order.

Thanks! I hope it's as nice in person, as it appears on paper, ha!

If the 1-4 thing bothers me, I modify the harness, it's easily done.

I'm surprised that you have issues in parking lots. It would seem to me, that in a parking lot, you'd never get out of first gear anyway, no?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
0BillJacobs-James
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hameister
Thanks! I hope it's as nice in person, as it appears on paper, ha!

If the 1-4 thing bothers me, I modify the harness, it's easily done.

I'm surprised that you have issues in parking lots. It would seem to me, that in a parking lot, you'd never get out of first gear anyway, no?
I would shift in that 15-19mph window most likely. Parking lots are scary to go much faster than that. Lol
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

I would shift in that 15-19mph window most likely. Parking lots are scary to go much faster than that. Lol
Sorry, I'm not following you. I agree, in parking lots, most people don't go more than 10, to 20 mph. So, why would you need to shift out of 1st gear?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum and wait will be well worth it
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
0BillJacobs-James
Former Vendor

Sorry, I'm not following you. I agree, in parking lots, most people don't go more than 10, to 20 mph. So, why would you need to shift out of 1st gear?
Probably just because it would seem like the rpm's would be higher than I wanted so I would shift. This would be only in big parking lots, like the driveways in shopping mall lots.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hameister I KNOW the anticipation that you are feeling! It is so exciting but sucks at the same time. I posted before that I would have mine on that Saturday but there have been lots of issues with the financing and everything on mine so as of yet I still don't have mine. however yesterday I finally got all the financing all taken care of, went back to the dealership signed all the papers and now officially OWN the vette but I still don't have it! There was an issue with the harmonic balancer that the dealership fixed then yesterday while I was on the way to the bank to get the check for it the dealership told me that the idler arm was squeaking a little bit so they are fixing that. They say that I should have it t6omorrow evening though. at this point I am wondering who will get theirs first you or me since we both started the process around the same time.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Welcome to the forum! Congrats and be sure to post pics when it arrives, it will be a rare 2013 C6 so be sure to hold onto it.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by guappy
Welcome to the forum and wait will be well worth it
Thank you!

Probably just because it would seem like the rpm's would be higher than I wanted so I would shift. This would be only in big parking lots, like the driveways in shopping mall lots.
Gotcha, I guess it's just something that I'll need to work around, like everyone else.

Originally Posted by wolf10851
Hameister I KNOW the anticipation that you are feeling! It is so exciting but sucks at the same time. I posted before that I would have mine on that Saturday but there have been lots of issues with the financing and everything on mine so as of yet I still don't have mine. however yesterday I finally got all the financing all taken care of, went back to the dealership signed all the papers and now officially OWN the vette but I still don't have it! There was an issue with the harmonic balancer that the dealership fixed then yesterday while I was on the way to the bank to get the check for it the dealership told me that the idler arm was squeaking a little bit so they are fixing that. They say that I should have it t6omorrow evening though. at this point I am wondering who will get theirs first you or me since we both started the process around the same time.
I am genuinely very sorry to hear all this. I know it has to be a terrible disappointment. I hope that mine arrives without issue, because frankly, I am not very comfortable with any dealer working on Corvettes. So many of them have very few mechanics that are qualified.

Originally Posted by JW3101
Welcome to the forum! Congrats and be sure to post pics when it arrives, it will be a rare 2013 C6 so be sure to hold onto it.
Thank you! Tell me,...what makes it rare? I think there are probably quite a few 2013 Grand Sport Corvettes around, no?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Hey Wolf10851, I hope you got your car by now???

Mine just came in today, I'll be picking it up late tomorrow afternoon...

Finally!!! - Finally!!! - Finally!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Johnbar
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

I know this is hard to believe, but I was just about to ask you what was going on when I clicked on this. Although I have never met you, I am very excited and happy that tonight is 'Corvette Eve' for you! Drive carefully tomorrow, it will be hard on no sleep. Send pics soon. Enjoy this.
John
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Welcome
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Johnbar
I know this is hard to believe, but I was just about to ask you what was going on when I clicked on this. Although I have never met you, I am very excited and happy that tonight is 'Corvette Eve' for you! Drive carefully tomorrow, it will be hard on no sleep. Send pics soon. Enjoy this.
John

It is now 6:33am, thank goodness "Corvette Eve" is over. The anticipation kept me from sleeping most of the night. I think I got about 3 hours.

The time has almost come. It's been about 57 years, since I saw my first Corvette, a brand new 1957 purchased by some man that lived at the end of my street. I was 14 years old. I can still picture it in my mind.

It's taken a lifetime, but I will finally have one of my own in about 9 hours.

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Welcome

Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To I've waited 5 decades for a Corvette!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Wolf10851, I hope you got your car by now???

Mine just came in today, I'll be picking it up late tomorrow afternoon...

Finally!!! - Finally!!! - Finally!!!

Congrats! ya I got mine FINALLY last Monday and I gotta say it was worth the 4.5 decade wait! I absolutely LOVE mine and I'm sure you will love your too!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM
alyupe11
Racer

Excellent congratulations....
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wolf10851
Congrats! ya I got mine FINALLY last Monday and I gotta say it was worth the 4.5 decade wait! I absolutely LOVE mine and I'm sure you will love your too!
Fantastic! I'm happy you finally got yours.

Picked mine up yesterday. Wish I could say that I drove it home with all the excitement that one would expect after such a long wait for a car such as this. Unfortunately, because of a paperwork screw up on the part of the dealer, it took over 3 hours before I finally drove my new 'vette out of there. It had been a very long day, and I was exhausted, and just wanted to get home and take a hot shower.

However, today is a new day, and I'm eager to get out there as soon as it gets light, and start playing with the greatest of all toys. I'm going to start with the Mild2Wild remote control installation, and Lloyd mats, etc.

I'll post some photos just as soon as I can. Speaking of photos, I'd sure like to see yours!

Originally Posted by alyupe11
Excellent congratulations....

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply: I've waited 5 decades for a Corvette!