Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 As Metaphor Of Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:12 AM
White_Raven
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C3 As Metaphor Of Rebirth

As a 17 year professional truck driver, I have since I was a little kid, been in love with 2 "real world" cars: The Datsun Z cars, and the C3 Corvette.

14 years ago I got a '79 280ZX which was kinda the car I wanted, but I REALLY wanted the 78. Vandalism and unfortunate life events have rendered the car far more of a project than I want to invest in, regardless of my love of the Z's.

After a 3 year period of misery in "Good Job, Crap Pay and Worse Bosses" world, I've finally got on my feet as a propane delivery driver in New Mexico.

In true "barn find" manner, one of my customers happened to have a 77 C3 parked next to a 98, and a 69 Camaro. While chatting with him, he mentioned he only wanted 3K for it, as he bought it from the wife of a friend whose husband had died. Being in his 70's, he can't really get in and out of it, and the car has been sitting there fallow for about 5 years.

Every car buddy I have tell me that C3's are garbage, rolling trainwrecks of unending repair, and for all intents and purposes, a rolling money pit, I walked around the car, I ran my hands. To quote my best friend,

"The C3 Corvette is proof that you really CAN polish a turd."

After a period of internal conflict, and researching about the do's and don'ts I made a deal with myself: I'll go look at the car, and not let myself be swayed by what it looks like, but by legit neutral observation. If the car is a rusted out project that only rich people that want to spend $100 grand on just the body would take, I'd pass.

I went back to the customer's house to look it over, and gave it a thorough look over. My neighbor used to work for a pro race team in the 70's as their chief mechanic and engine builder, and he has a "massaged" 350 with a 350 auto that runs like an angry junkyard dog out of a 80's truck he would trade me for my 82 Suburban, so I was not concerned if the motor ran.

For over an hour we talked and i checked the car out, and there's only light surface rust on the suspension, and the birdcage is immaculate. He confirmed this vette has lived in New Mexico and Arizona its whole life. There's been some "bro-engineering" and it's clear this car has been driven, if not loved like she should have been.

The driver's side door has had the mirror taken off and the mounting holes smoothed over and painted. It's had the radiator, water pump, intake, carb, heads, fan, distributor, and some other stuff replaced, the front suspension has seen some action, but nothing more visible than a bit of scraping on the sway bar mount. It's been painted(Why do people paint over the data plate?) and had fresh carpet "installed" if by "installed" you mean "The kit was bought and thrown into the car, GOOD ENUF" installed. In short, I fell in love with the car like I have with few vehicles in my life, and I gave him a deposit so he wouldn't sell her to someone else.

The car is rough...certainly driveable, but she's in full on "beater mode". The dash is peeling, the seats are...there...the tach is split down the middle, and who knows if anything works. The guy swears she runs good and doesn't smoke, but I intend to pick her up this weekend after I drop a battery and some PRI-G treated gas in her tank, that someone conveniently stole the vette flags off of.

I was going to go for a 383 conversion, but my neighbor talked me out of it in favor of a more reliable, less finicky built 350, cast Iron block, Vortec heads, edelbrock intake, FiTech EFI, a moderate cam, roller valvetrain, headers and sidepipes, because AMERICA. He says conservatively I can expect about 390~400HP and about 435~450 torque. And if a guy that built race motors for 15 years tells me I'll be happy with what we build, I think I'll trust him. For what I want this car to do, I think that will work out fine. I want to upgrade the suspension and brakes, but not because "TRACK DAY, BRO!", but to modernize it and bring it back up to acceptable standards. The rubber bushings are probably factory.

For color, I am thinking (heaven forbid) the Ford color "Magnetic Metallic Silver", and a contrasting Buckskin Tan interior with black dash, console, and roof. To control the 200R4 I always loved the "horseshoe" shifter that came in the 68~72 Camaros, and either the
US Mags Indy U101 wheels, or source a set of Hurricane/Vortex/cyclone whatever turbine wheels because Dukes Of Hazzard and it really has that 70's muscle car look. I have a pair of PMD seats from an 82 Trans Am I want to recover in two-tone leather and install, because wow....not impressed with what's there.

One final thing, I wanted to give a shout out to Bee Jay, whose awesome yellow Vette has been the source of constant inspiration on mods I want to do with my lady.

um...Also, hi, Corvette Forum.
Attached Images    
Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

good luck with your seventy seven and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Welcome to the CF!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:58 PM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your project!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 As Metaphor Of Rebirth

Quick Reply: C3 As Metaphor Of Rebirth