Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado guy with Procharged C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Stephen Hamacher
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colorado guy with Procharged C5

Well it's about time I post something, only been stalking, I mean aggressively searching through forums for help and insight and laughs.

My name is Stephen, I picked up a 2001 corvette with 23k miles last year.

Mods done to her beforehand:

D-1SC procharger
DRP 71 piston heads (whoever had it built didn't do the rods so limited to about 600hp, darn... for now)
Kenne Boost-a-pump
Ceramic coated headers (unsure brand) to x-pipe and borla exhaust
Line lock, currently disconnected for the moment
Alpine stereo, speakers, and sub
Different wrap (see pictures)
C6 black rims, unsure if genuine, but came with some good meat, 18 front, 19 rear, nitto invo's I believe
Custom different vinyl wrap (see for yourself, not my first choise but it's different)

Mods I have done:
Sprung the infamous front main seal oil leak couple months ago so decided to just go about all out
C5Z chain, adjustable cloyes timing set, ls3 or ls2 style chain guide
Melling HV oil pump
ARP 8 rib balancer
Custom made my own carbon fiber intake with K&N big ol filter
Found a C6 corvette seat to keep my original seat in good condition, but being 6 foot 2, I sit close to the plastic halo. Leaning towards a corbeau seat with the shave option, hate to get rid of power seats but woe is height and comfort.
I'm gonna get some grief but got a tow hitch to mount bikes, looks so epic that the bikes sit taller than the car, turns lots of confusing heads. Hey I like to go fast but also bike.

Things to do:
1) Really looking into an oil catch can. Been reading allot and its obviously between RX/McNally, elite engineering, and Mighty Mouse. I think I will talk with Coloradospeed in person to get some insight and hands on suggestions. Also, I believe my front main seal leaked because my current pcv system probably isn't the best.
2) Went to Corvette Connections in Denver, super awesome guys I thought, they suggested to get 80lbs injectors (currently 60lbs) and a better fuel pump before getting a tune. So I'm thinking Siemens Deka for price and they seem decent.
3) Fuel pump- so much information about this I can't thank enough to these forums, seriously. My conclusion, custom external fuel pump system. Keep stock pump and canister to allow fuel transfer between tanks, route oulet of fuel from tank to a Y block or fuel block. That block will also be supplied with fuel from bulkhead fitting from tank to fuel filter, pump (thinking the DW350il) to block, to another filter, then to rails using racetronix parts. Still working it out on paper.
Reason for external pump and not just upgrading stock fuel pump and canister- stock fuel pressure regulator really isn't that great and seems to limit full potential of fuel flow to rails as well as fuel pressure spikes. Allot of info I have read says that the stock FPR, lines, and rails are limited to about 600hp and 300lph give or take, mostly the FPR being located before the rails and not after, returnless style. Also largest fuel pump in kits seems to be about 340lph, again seems to be limited by the FPR and by that time the pump is overworking like it is now on my current setup with I believe is a stock pump hooked to a boost-a-pump. More on my custom fuel jazz later.
4) Join a club- I want to go on cruises and meet other enthusiasts, seems like with my job, fixing things, and life in general I haven't made the commitment yet.
5) Belt squeal- happens after Vee warms up, sounds like a tenshioner pulley squeal but is intermittent below 2k rpm. Sounds like a banshee screaming when she does. I believe its either the bearing in the tenshioner pulley gone bad or belt alignment issue. Got the gates laser alignment tool shipped so just waiting on its arrival since the squeal has only happened after getting new harmonic balancer on.
6) Blackout tailights, side markers, and front markers
7) Take wrap off, she's white underneath

Anyways, I rant, I love the information on these forums so I'll try to keep my posts limited as they are probably covered beforehand but I will post things that I have done to hopefully help others as well, such as my front main seal leak. Thanks everyone
Attached Images        
Old 06-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Stephen - welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you visit the various C5 sections of the forum - you will find some great people and information over there to help you with your C5.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,469 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Welcome to the forum!

Cool looking C5!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Welcome from Southern Colorado!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome aboard Stephen!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Mensan150
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome from one new member to another!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome!
I just moved back to NC from Flagstaff, AZ so I really liked the red rock mountains in your second photo.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Stephen Hamacher
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it was a beautiful drive through the mountains with the top off! And thank you all for the welcomes, much appreciated!

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado guy with Procharged C5

Quick Reply: Colorado guy with Procharged C5