Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am (very) lucky to be here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
Default I am (very) lucky to be here!

Hello everyone,

My name is John. My handle on almost everything is theplatinumog. How much time do you have? Because I have a pretty incredible story I would like to share with everyone. The story of how I "retired" at 26. However, it is not something I would recommend to anyone. WARNING: if you are squeamish with trauma type injuries, you need to leave now and not scroll down.

So there I was, 26 years old. I was a tennis professional. I played some challengers / future type ATP tournaments, but won most of my prize money playing USTA open stuff. Teaching was more lucrative for me. I would do that until I had enough money to go blow it on tour. I'm not sure I would have ever retired from tournament prize money, but I do know I was very happy.

I was driving to my parents house from Sacramento. I was out sorta by Abel Chevrolet in Isleton / Rio Vista California. It is a levee road with steep drop offs on both sides. It is far out in the middle of nowhere. One lane of traffic in each direction, but freeway speeds. A ___ truck crossed over double yellows and hit me head on at those freeway speeds!

***gruesome parts***

I remember a fair amount about the accident, but lets skip ahead. My Dad is asking if I am there and if I know who he is. I remember thinking, "How did he get in my bedroom? and "I am going to be late for work." He told me I was in a car accident . I said, "I have been in car accidents before." He said you are in the hospital and I said, "that is a good place to be after an accident.." Then he said everything was going to be okay. I heard the words "going to be" and decided it was time to do a quick scan of my surroundings. I am face down hovering over a bed. This obviously makes no sense to me. But then I feel myself lift up, from inside. I have big metal rods coming out of both legs and arms picking me up higher off the bed.

Here was the situation when I got air lifted to the hospital. I had a ruptured spleen that was bleeding like crazy and they needed to get to that first. But they couldn't lay me on my back because I had a broken neck. And they couldn't put me face down on a table with the center missing because both of my femurs were sticking through the front of my legs. Other highlights include shattering both knee caps into 20+ pieces. Another compound fracture around my ankle to go along with the crushed right foot (broke every bone and made extraction from the vehicle tricky) Everything below my right ankle was being held on by an external fixator.. Google it, it looks like a mid-evil torture device. I had another bone sticking out of my left arm. Dislocated shoulder, broken ribs. I am sure I forgot some stuff, but I was obviously not in good shape. To make matters worse, they saw significant brain injuries in the cat-scans so they had to wake me up before they could start surgery.

(I can't find one of my knee, but it has a lot of hardware as well.)
The surgeries. The first day of surgeries was 8 hours, the second day was another 8, the third day they let my body rest, and the fourth day was another 8. I was in a coma for those 4 days and spent 10 days in the ICU. 26 procedures total over the following 14 months. After the 10 days in the ICU, I was stable enough to transfer to John Muir in Walnut Creek, where I would stay for the next month and a half. Doctors said I might never walk again. Enter Dr.. Faulkerson, THE MAN! He is the head trauma surgeon at John Muir and did an incredible job putting me back together. We even re-broke my knee because he thought the way the surgery went "I would be able to walk, but not do anything too athletic." At that point in time, I was still pretty sure I was going to play professional tennis again, "just give me a year or two to recover." That was before the year and a half in a wheel chair. My parents ran into Dr. Fulkerson walking their dog. He asked about me and they told him I bought a corvette and was really getting into track driving. His eyes got really big because he is a big HPDE guy too! I know our paths will cross again, I always have my eyes peeled for his white Porsche at the track.

Let's make this story a little crazier. Rewind back to the crash site..The first person on scene was a retired fire chief! He happen to be tending to the crops out there. He called med-evac before the truck driver was able to dial 911.. I had a ruptured spleen and was having major seizures, so every second counted!

I feel very fortunate to have been welcomed into the Corvette community. This sight has taught me everything I know about Corvettes. I never would have put this out there if I didn't feel pretty comfortable around here. I mean when I say, if I could go back and change it, I would. The pain was, is, and will be excruciating. I don't mind talking about the accident and am very proud of my recovery.

I would rather be healthy than wealthy any day. But, I am thankful because I could have been hit by an un-insured farmer and got no money. I generated over a million dollars in hospital bills before I left the first time. There was a lawsuit and a substantial settlement. I factory ordered my 2016 corvette z51 and got it late 2015. In late 2016, I went to my first track day. in 2017 I went to 30 track days. I plan on doing more than that this year. I am hooked bad. It feels incredible to push myself again. Those lap times keep falling! I am so hilariously sore after 1 day of track driving that I think to myself "how could I ever do 2 days in a row?" But then that second day comes and I am fired up and ready to go! There are very few things in the world that can get me to a destination at 7:15 am, but track driving is definitely one of them.

The most recent development in my life is potentially working for HOD (an hpde group) as a beginner coach. I started with and want to work for hooked on driving. because of their amazing safety reputation. When I first started, they were bragging how they went 2 or 3 million miles on track with no car-to-car contact. I believe that has since come to an end, but their reputation for safety is second to none! Given my wreck, safety is my top priority. I know it is ironic that I got in a big car wreck and then started driving fast on race tracks. But I can't tell you guys and girls how happy it makes me. I will never be fast on a tennis court again, but I can get in a vehicle and push myself and get faster.... aaahhh I love it! This job / activity / car has just been the best thing for me the last couple years. Thank you all for your Corvette knowledge and good times on the forums. If anyone has a vette in California and is thinking about taking it on a race track (even if it is just once) Please reach out to me and let's see if I can be your coach. Because of my tennis background, I have almost no car friends. But I am trying to make some!

Thanks again guys,
John
@theplatinumog

Edit: I am going to go ahead and start a YouTube channel with my c7 and my new car! Obviously, I don't have many eggs in this basket, but if it doesn't get popular, it will serve as great car-related memories for myself If you enjoy the videos, please subscribe. If you see any way I can improve my driving, editing, or presenting, please let me know! (In a nice way preferably)

Last edited by theplatinumog; 06-04-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:46 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Damn what a story. Glad to see you're OK.

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

That's a pretty nasty set of xrays.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Welcome to the forum John!

Very glad to hear things are looking better for you now!

Continued success in all your endeavors!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

God Almighty! Had me cringing just looking thru the x-rays. I feel such admiration for someone who goes thru so much pain/recovery & then finds the passion to go on to something that challenges them. I believe if you hadn't been such a fighter before this, that the outcome might have been different. Have a ball for all us wanna-be drivers!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:48 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wow! Amazing bio. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

John - what an incredible number of things you have had to overcome due to the accident. Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your continued recovery and in your driving passion.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 134 Posts

What a story John. I’m very sorry you had to go through all of that, but what a guy you seem to be. You are radiant with positivity and optimism.

I’ll go out on a limb and say your parents are very lucky they have you as a son. Your positivity has had to help them recover from this trauma as well.

My my son was born with CP, has also had several surgeries and will never be able to drive a car, but I’m going to show him your story, it will be an inspiration to him next time he has to undergo a surgery. Not just because you came out the other end, but the WAY you got through it and didn’t let it detract from your life, rather you just chose a new course.

Welcome to CF! We are all proud to have you as a member on our forum. Hope to meet you in person some day. Keep racing! Godspeed.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:50 AM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

Wow, my hat is off to you sir. Welcome aboard and glad you're making out ok. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Archon
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad things are turning around for you, I am sure it has been a fight the get where you are.
All the best!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Hello John, I have seen several of your threads and posts since you became a member. You always seemed like a guy genuinely interested in Vettes. I assumed you were fairly young based on a few posts. I had no idea what your background was and had no idea about your accident.

I am sorry to hear of your accident. Very sad, but you have an amazing attitude. That type of attitude will take you very far and get you through many of life's challenges.

I wish you the best in the future and hope it brings you happiness and much fulfillment. Since tennis appears to be one of your passions, I hope you are able to continue a sport you excel at and enjoy.

Best wishes and keep that positive attitude.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:58 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Welcome to the CF!
Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Thank you so much guys.

I had a few "why me" moments, but was able to stay pretty positive throughout this ordeal. My family and friends were unbelievably supportive.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:48 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story about overcoming adversity. Best wishes for your future.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hi, John. Thanks for your compelling story that helps to remind us we can surprise ourselves with the obstacles we can overcome with positive thought!
Best wishes with your driving/teaching career.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Birddog51
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

You are indeed a fortunate young man to be alive. Wish you all the good things in life!

Get notified of new replies

To I am (very) lucky to be here!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

John,
What an incredible story! Defiantly not the way most of us picture retiring at 26. Your obviously one hell of a fighter! I’m amazed and inspired by your struggle. Our community is better with you! Glad you made it! To many more track days of fun

Robert
Old 04-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

What’s the saying? “The man with no shoes complained until he met the man with no feet”.
Your story is inspiring on many levels. Thank you for sharing! I wish you well in all that you do. Kudos to you sir and welcome to the Corvette family!

Last edited by Jstan2014; 04-29-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:56 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb185afm
John,
What an incredible story! Defiantly not the way most of us picture retiring at 26. Your obviously one hell of a fighter! I’m amazed and inspired by your struggle. Our community is better with you! Glad you made it! To many more track days of fun

Robert
I am so looking forward to next weekend See you at Thunderhill! I am glad everyone in your home was okay from that shooting. It's amazing how fragile life can be. Let's make the most of the time we got left!