Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likely buying a C5 Saturday (Base / Lambo Doors / 90K Miles / 6-Manual / Targa)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 03:58 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Likely buying a C5 Saturday (Base / Lambo Doors / 90K Miles / 6-Manual / Targa)

Private sale: a friend is letting me buy his 2001 C5; he has a C4, C5, C8, and about seven other cars, mostly 40s-60s roadsters. The C5 was not listed for sale, I asked about it, after hearing him talk to someone else at a party, and thought he was buying it, assumed it was gone. He did not, so I reached out, and he's offering it to me at what I feel is a good price.

I did a CarFax on it last night, and it's clean and had five owners, including him. He's had it since 2018, and it's garage-keeping, driven enough to keep everything going, with no damage, no accidents, and always personal cars.

The photo is from the car fax, I am not a huge fan of the Lambo Doors, but it will be helpful if someone is parked close. The stripe is an add-on, may see if it can be removed at a later time.

New black wheels (not shown) and new Continental ExtremeContact Sport2 tires all around with less than 1500 miles of road time.

It will be a summer/weekend car, not a daily driver. The only change or mod I will likely add is a CarPlay/BT device, as I am not planning on selling.

I had a 1986 vette from 1986 to 1987 and had to get rid of it due to finances and moving out of state, but I have always wanted another one. I had to go sit in one locally to make sure I could still get in/out, as time has changed a lot, including my age, body shape, etc.

I will test on Saturday as he's five hours from me, and we're meeting about two hours from my home. If all goes well, I will have a two-hour drive back home in my (new to me) C5.

I hope I am making a good choice and can find good ideas and people here in this forum.

Thanks.

The following 3 users liked this post by cls241:
A3lseeker (05-02-2024), mstromquist (05-01-2024), ztheusa (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,536 Likes on 14,099 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 General and best of luck with your purchase of the car.
The following users liked this post:
cls241 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:16 PM
FOGeologist
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Test drive at speed first - make sure those lambo doors are well-sealed and the glass ends up right where it needs to be. Otherwise you’ll be chasing whistly air leaks and fitment/rattling issues. Go over some bumps at low speed to make sure everything is sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by FOGeologist:
sonicss33 (05-02-2024), yellow2007 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:24 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Test drive at speed first - make sure those lambo doors are well-sealed and the glass ends up right where it needs to be. Otherwise, you’ll be chasing whistly air leaks and fitment/rattling issues. Go over some bumps at low speed to make sure everything is sound.
Thanks. The person I am buying from is a long-time friend who owns many cars, some of which are six-figures. If there were an issue, he would have fixed it over the seven years he owned the car. Regardless, yes, I will be test driving, and if there is an issue, I would certainly let him know as that may adjust the price if I need to 1) fix the doors or 2) revert them to standard doors. I will be test-driving it in a place I am unfamiliar with. I am meeting him at a dance/event in WA, and it will be raining in the 50s, so sadly, it is not ideal circumstances to test drive, but I will do my best. I agree 100% with everything you're saying and greatly appreciate your advice. I will take it seriously. I am a bit OCD, and whistling doors would drive me batty after 5 min.
yellow2007 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:21 PM
kkupec02
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 95 Posts

Welcome
cls241 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:10 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,681 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Looks like a nice car. Good luck with it all and hope it's all you want and expect. C5's are better in my book then the C4's. I've had both as well and love the C5.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:18 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Looks like a nice car. Good luck with it all and hope it's all you want and expect. C5's are better in my book then the C4's. I've had both as well and love the C5.
Thank you very much. As the weekend gets closer, I get more nervous, as I know he’s having second thoughts of selling it. I hope he does not change his mind. I have been doing a lot of research, getting ready for the car, calling for insurance, ordering the CarFax, etc. Crossing fingers.

I am surprised they want to keep their white C4 and sell the C5. Of course they’re keeping their C8, it’s got a ton of updates, it looks more like. Rocket Ship than a car, I guess I like the older corvette designs over the new ones, still love the original sting rays.

Glad you enjoy your C5, and I hope I am part of the club this weekend!
Old 05-01-2024, 10:23 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Very nice, indeed
Old 05-01-2024, 10:24 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chuck A
Very nice, indeed

Thank you, kind of you to post and say that! Appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:18 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 534 Posts

Pay significant attention to the clutch and transmission. Clutch primary and secondary cylinders can go bad due to both mileage and age. If the secondary cylinder leaks or sticks it means removing the drive train. Flushing clutch fluid is nearly impossible, and is not often done. That does not help clutch life. Second gear synchros live a hard life, if it's notchy going into second it won't get better on it's own.
Take a good look at the HVAC control panel. If it's a dual zone system (likely) it may not be legible in daylight. Common problem, not impossible to fix, but will require some work. Along the same lines, shift the HVAC zones and make sure they actually change. Very common to have the blower push air out all the vents at once, due to a broken vacuum line mixed into the wire harness under the hood. That one takes more than a moment to find/fix.
And you will probably notice the seats slide back and forth about a 1/4 inch on every shift. That's what used to be a pair of rubber spacers on the seat drive rails. Used to be rubber, but are now more of a gummy mess.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:45 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redzg
Pay significant attention to the clutch and transmission. Clutch primary and secondary cylinders can go bad due to both mileage and age. If the secondary cylinder leaks or sticks it means removing the drive train. Flushing clutch fluid is nearly impossible, and is not often done. That does not help clutch life. Second gear synchros live a hard life, if it's notchy going into second it won't get better on it's own.
Take a good look at the HVAC control panel. If it's a dual zone system (likely) it may not be legible in daylight. Common problem, not impossible to fix, but will require some work. Along the same lines, shift the HVAC zones and make sure they actually change. Very common to have the blower push air out all the vents at once, due to a broken vacuum line mixed into the wire harness under the hood. That one takes more than a moment to find/fix.
And you will probably notice the seats slide back and forth about a 1/4 inch on every shift. That's what used to be a pair of rubber spacers on the seat drive rails. Used to be rubber, but are now more of a gummy mess.
Wow, that's great stuff; thank you! I will add this to my list for Saturday and review it with my friend, the seller. Since he does most of the work himself, I won't have paperwork supporting it. I doubt he wants to be low-up in a friendship over $12K, but one never knows. I have not been inside his car, only others local/similar, so as of this reply, I don't know about the seats (power or not) or the climate control. H (single or dual). He's told me about clutch issues on ALL Corvettes on this timeline, and we'll see if anything has been done on his end. I know he's redone the driver's seat, but I'm unsure about the mechanics. Thanks again for all of this, I hope to have good news and post again soon with some updated info and photos.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:56 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,096 Likes on 644 Posts

Restore the doors to original and get the window valet..........if someone parks close you can put your windows down while outside the car. I always say, let me know when Lamborghini uses vette doors.......
Old 05-02-2024, 01:13 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by yellow2007
Restore the doors to original and get the window valet..........if someone parks close you can put your windows down while outside the car. I always say, let me know when Lamborghini uses vette doors.......
I had to look that up, never heard of the Window Valet before, I read about it, watched the video. Would not the Window Valet work on the Lambo Doors? Not sure I need it, but just wondering why not, it's only the window. Yes, I am not overly thrilled with the Lambo Doors myself, but it may be helpful at times, I don't know yet. I need to actually use them 1x or 2x to know for sure.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:56 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,230 Likes on 783 Posts

Are you mechanically and electrically savvy? The C5 have both mechanical and electrical anomolies that can test an owners enjoyment. If not, then 1) take a car savvy person with you to 'review' the car. Many times they will spot stuff you do not; 2) Make the sale dependent on an inspection; 3) then suggest finding a local Vette shop that can help in any future repairs. The local Corvette club is a good source for recommendations.

Last edited by rrwirsi; 05-02-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:01 PM
cls241
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Are you mechanically and electrically savvy? The C5 have both mechanical and electrical anomolies that can test an owners enjoyment. If not, then 1) take a car savvy person with you to 'review' the car. Many times they will spot stuff you do not; 2) Make the sale dependent on an inspection; 3) then suggest finding a local Vette shop that can help in any future repairs. The local Corvette club is a good source for recommendations.
note: I can't test drive on Saturday; the owner put his back out and can't drive a stick to the meeting place, so the purchase is postponed until at least next week.
  • The sale cannot be dependant on an inspection as we're 5 hours apart and I have to drive 4 hours to meet and if I don't buy the car I would not have a way home, I am being dropped off. I would have to take an uber to a train or bus station and hope I can find a way home. He's not local.
  • I have a local shop that works on Corvettes; they've also always been good on other cars.
  • I am not Mechanically or Car Savvy, anything that needs to be done will require a professional
  • I have joined a local Corvette club, but it may be moot if this deal falls, though, I'm wondering if he's having seller's remorse, as he said if I don't buy it, it's not for sale.

Get notified of new replies

To Likely buying a C5 Saturday (Base / Lambo Doors / 90K Miles / 6-Manual / Targa)

Quick Reply: Likely buying a C5 Saturday (Base / Lambo Doors / 90K Miles / 6-Manual / Targa)