Airbag disable kit for 2000 Hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:29 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Airbag disable kit for 2000 Hardtop?

Bob,

Does the airbag disable kit you sell include the airbag off light on the center console like later factory installed disable switches? We have a six month old baby that wants to ride in the Vette, so I need to install the disable, but want it to look stock. My 2000 was built in October 1999, and I understand they didn't start installing them in the factory until Jan-Feb 2000. Thanks!

Craig
Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Bob doesn't read the forum away from the office but I never leave here so I am going to post the reply.

The switch kit includes the console piece with the light. This is a factory package exactly like what was installed at the plant.

Have a great Sunday evening,
Ken Fichtner
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks Ken, I will call and place the order today.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
Bob doesn't read the forum away from the office but I never leave here so I am going to post the reply.

The switch kit includes the console piece with the light. This is a factory package exactly like what was installed at the plant.

Have a great Sunday evening,
Ken Fichtner
Ken,

Talked to Bob today and ordered the kit. Unfortunately, he said the kit does NOT include the console trim piece, which was an extra $50 some bucks. Also, to make the LED work, you have to do some creative splicing as the LED in the kit is 12 volt, but the one on the trim panel is not, so you have to either get a 12 volt LED or a resistor or you will burn out the LED in mere seconds. Anyway, I still ordered both the disable kit and the trim plate with the LED, just wanted to clarify in case anyone else is looking to do the same thing. And thanks for the help Bob.

Craig
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Millennium Falcon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,

Since you're always at the office, I'll post this reply now even though it's 9pm EST!

I just purchased a 2000 coupe without the passenger-side airbag cutoff switch, and I have a 4-year old. How much is the kit, which apparently doesn't include the the $50 console trim piece? Also, do you know of anyone in the Delmarva area (dealer or otherwise) who will install the kit? Tate Chevrolet in Annapolis MD declined, stating insurance issues. Do you think this issue applies at all Chevy dealers?Finally, how many hours are needed for a competent mechanic to install the kit, and should the mechanic have Corvette experience?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for your help with this frustrating issue.

John
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kits are a GM modification kit ordered direct from General Motors so there IS NO INSURANCE ISSUE. Either the dealer is not aware of this or they are just using it as an excuse to not do it for you. Any competent tech can do the install and usually takes about 2 hours to do.

The kits are both specific to each car, but also a type of universal system as well. The kits all use the same switch and light indicator system, which is designed to mount up by the rear view mirror. Many customers have mounted it in other locations, but it is not exactly like the factory system. The problem we are running into is GM is starting to discontinue many of these kits. We offer the kit if still available for your specific car for 110.50 plus s&h.

If you have specific questions or wish to order one call us at 800-234-5284 and please have your vin # available.

Bob
Old 06-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Millennium Falcon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I will contact Tate Chevrolet in Annapolis again with your liability insight, and hopefully I can get a better response. After I find someone, I'll call for the kit, which hopefully includes instructions for the mechanic. I'm a little confused, though, because I thought that the light is mounted in the center console per the factory ($50 trim piece mentioned below), and not up at the rear view mirror. Does the kit also include the glovebox lockout key, as in the factory installation?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kit includes the lockout key for the glovebox, but the universal part is the light which is made to go up by the mirror. If you want you can get the factory switch and bezel for the console and then cut the universal indicator off and splice it along with a resistor into the console piece. You need a resistor as you can't put a full 12 volts to the indicator light on the bezel, as the factory setup has a resistor in it. Which switch is ordered depends on which set up your car has as far as traction control and suspension or not, which also determines the price of the switch/bezel required. A full set of instructions comes with the kit as well.

If you have any other questions give me a call at 800-234-5284

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag disable kit for 2000 Hardtop?

Quick Reply: Airbag disable kit for 2000 Hardtop?