The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 PM
jzd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 tops

Ken,
My vette is to be built the week of July 24,2006. Do you know if this vehicle will have the new smc top? If it doesn't I am talking about canceling my order until the new top is a standard feature.

Thanks

John
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM
toolking
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Am I correct in thinking that if the roof has had the recall "fix" that at some point in the near future the roof will be replaced?

TNX
Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toolking
Am I correct in thinking that if the roof has had the recall "fix" that at some point in the near future the roof will be replaced?

TNX
I'd like to know this very same thing. My service advisor was very nice and aware of the problem. He looked up my VIN and it was in the affected range and he ordered the foam glue kit but did NOT order a new top. His statement was that the glue was the fix unless it delaminated again. I have not been called yet to come in and have the top fixed but I'd like to be armed with the knowledge of what's really going to happen with roof panel replacement for those that have the glue kit applied with or without visible signs of separation.

Jay
Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Please read page 11 of the bulletin:

"If less than 75 percent of the roof panel is separated from the frame, prepare the roof panel for the foam adhesive injection procedure. Refer to the section titled, Roof Panel Preparation for Roof Panels with Separation. This is a temporary repair that will prevent the separation of the roof panel. Submit the claim using labor code T5641, which will not close the program in GMVIS. When the roof panel is available, install the new roof panel and submit the claim using the appropriate V labor code, which will close the program in GMVIS.

Important: Inspect all roof panels, including new roof panels, to determine if the foam fill procedure has been completed. Perform the foam adhesive injection procedure on all new roof panels that have not been foam filled. Perform Steps 5-24 after removing the original roof panel and following the SI procedures listed in the table below.

If more than 75 percent of the roof panel is separated from the frame, replace the roof panel. The SI procedures below may be used."

Summary, in my opinion:

If less that 75 percent of the roof panel is separated from the frame, the dealer is to repair the panel and order a new panel for replacement.

If more than 75 percent of the roof panel is separated from the frame, the dealer is to replace the panel and not waste any time with repair.

In either case, the panel is to be replaced!

Ken Fichtner
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
toolking
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I didn't state my question correctly.

If there was no separation and the "fix" was performed per the recall is the top eligible for replacement?

The Document would seem to indicate that it is not. My servicing dealer says not, but then they didn't know of the replacement issue at all.

They did however give me a copy of the full document.

My concern arises from the expiration date of the program. (Mar 31, 2007) If the top delams after that I'm screwed, unless we know that it won't delam if the "fix" was performed.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 AM
bleu
Intermediate

Default C6 >32K VIN with creaky top

Reading between the lines it seems GM is still fitting the polycarbonate roof until after mid-August and also after ~31000 SMC replacement roofs are given to C6s needing service:

"The demand ... exceeded the capacity ... large number of back orders. A new SMC roof panel ... available no later than mid-August. Dealers ... should be aware ... new part number for the SMC roof. The replacement roof ... will use the SMC roof instead of the polycarbonate panel. Orders for service ... will be filled first then the SMC roof will be moved into production."

This suggests that vehicles manufactured after VIN 31106 and before August-September will also have this problem. It seems unlikely that an adequate fix to the "poly" top has been implemented in production, otherwise there would be no need to switch to SMC. I suspect that the VIN range will ultimately be extended to all vehicles manufactured with a poly top.

I have a C6 "born" on June 06 with VIN >32K which I've kept safely tucked in my garage until today when I left it in 92+ degree heat all day. (Yes a "garage queen" that I'm pretty sure WILL melt in the rain) This afternoon for the first time there are some creaking/knocking sounds from the top.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, this is possible. Any information out there on how to positively identify an SMC or polycarbonate top? I've heard talk of part numbers hidden around the frame, and also a 1 lb weight difference. Perhaps someone knows how much an SMC or polycarbonate top weighs?

Last edited by bleu; 07-27-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Ken

Ken, PartsBob and his folks built me a roof from parts when they weren't available from the factory....any concerns I should have or reglue for safety or hopefully they used something different than the factory did? Wondering.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Well

I'm still waiting.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Mark Gray
Racer

What VINs are affected by this?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mark Gray
What VINs are affected by this?
Hi Mark,

The VINS are listed in the Service Bulletin on page 1. Take a look and see if you are in the range.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ken...onbulletin.pdf

Good luck,
Don
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PJnNJ,

I have posed this same question to our regional GM Parts rep. He was going to try and get a direct answer as he did not know.

FYI..The GM Parts side is completely separate from the assembly line side of GM. GM Tech. assistance could not even tell us if the Parts side tops are made the same or even come from the same mfg as the ones used on the assy line. The Parts side tops come with a 12 month warranty standard, but I have my rep trying to find out what or if GM Parts is going to do about the situation. The early information I have been given is GM Parts has had NO complaints of delamination on the tops they have.

As soon as I get a definitive answer from GM Parts, and I told them I want it in writing, I will post it here on the forum.

Bob
Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
I would recommend that you call Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 800-222-1020. You need to start a case on this immediately. Express your concern and dissatisfaction. Demand a replacement top.

Ken

Demand a replacement top.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Thanks BOB

I'll wait and see what you learn. I'm not concerned at this time but curious if I should keep a close eye on it. As always, Thanks for your help and support, Paul
Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
rhoward2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Today I received an email from Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

I received above email today in response to an inquiry made a week or so ago regarding whether or not my vette, built late March, was affected by the painted roof issue. Ironically, as I read Tamesha's response indicating the good news that my vehicle was in fact free of said defect (according to her research), I was still fuming over the fact that I had stopped at the dealership today to show them where my roof had completely separated from the frame along the front edge. The dealership was going to look into the matter further, but in the meantime, has ordered the glue kit for a repair next Wednesday. I, like many of you, am concerned as to when and if I will get a replacement top that will permanently solve the problem. I'm also thankful I have both tops.

Quick Reply: The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06