Availability of RO7 NASCAR Engine ?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM
CTCV
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Availability of RO7 NASCAR Engine ?

Ken/Bob

Is the RO7 NASCAR available as a crate engine ? Searched the Forum using RO7, only one Thread which did not have the details

If so, part number is and web link ?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/

Under the parts tab is the pdf catalog.

No R07 crate engine. That is something a Nascar team would build up using a racing block and heads from GM. In the small block and head sections of that catalog you'll see the R0X block and heads. A team like RCR or Gibbs would use those to build up an R07 engine to Nascar specs.

Similar to the current SB2 Nextel Cup small block, you can buy the block and heads from GM. Then up to the engine builder to build the engine.

A complete cup engine is likely more $$$ than your first house and lasts about as long as a birthday party. Not really many applications other than a Nascar race.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
CTCV
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michrider

...........thanks

Don
Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM Performance is coming out with the LSX engine for engine builders. I don't have all of the information available yet, but they say it is to take your LS series engine to the EXTREME. It is a small block and is suposed to be capable of handeling up to, get this, 2500 HP.

I have information on order and will post as soon as it arrives.

Bob
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM
KretzJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettePartsBob
GM Performance is coming out with the LSX engine for engine builders. I don't have all of the information available yet, but they say it is to take your LS series engine to the EXTREME. It is a small block and is suposed to be capable of handeling up to, get this, 2500 HP.

I have information on order and will post as soon as it arrives.

Bob
One of my recent car mags (don't remember which... Super Chevy or Chevy Hi Performance) covered the Reggie Jackson Camaro build and it used LSX block # 001 (yeah, still in prototype stage)... it's carbed not FI and I think they were getting 600 HP out of it. The article RAVED about the block... for Reggie's car they punched the block to 454 CI (nice number ,huh?) but they could use a shorter stroke so it doesn't have the truck attitude toward low-end grunt but rather a solid muscle car feel. GMPP guys said they plan a full line of pre-build crate motors based on the LSX block, including one identical to Reggie's 454, plus a 427 punch that sounded darn sweet.

And it looked killer to boot.

The LSX block looks to be the basis of my next project for my 1971 Chevelle, sometime next year.

-jk
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/

Under the parts tab is the pdf catalog.

No R07 crate engine. That is something a Nascar team would build up using a racing block and heads from GM. In the small block and head sections of that catalog you'll see the R0X block and heads. A team like RCR or Gibbs would use those to build up an R07 engine to Nascar specs.

Similar to the current SB2 Nextel Cup small block, you can buy the block and heads from GM. Then up to the engine builder to build the engine.

A complete cup engine is likely more $$$ than your first house and lasts about as long as a birthday party. Not really many applications other than a Nascar race.
Reviving an old thread but hoping for some input regarding use of a R07 road course engine in a restomod.
Michrider stated his opinion regarding price and then says "and will last as long as a birthday party". If the engine is being used in a limited track useage and primarily for the street environment would Mitch's statement hold true?
The block composition, lubrication, and cooling aspects of the R07 are intriguing as-well-as the extra revs but if the engine requires a rebuild every few miles, well, the LSX looks better and better.

Last edited by 65 fi; 10-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Reviving an old thread but hoping for some input regarding use of a R07 road course engine in a restomod.
Michrider stated his opinion regarding price and then says "and will last as long as a birthday party". If the engine is being used in a limited track useage and primarily for the street environment would Mitch's statement hold true?
The block composition, lubrication, and cooling aspects of the R07 are intriguing as-well-as the extra revs but if the engine requires a rebuild every few miles, well, the LSX looks better and better.
they are about $75,000 if you can buy one. most NASCAR teams that do not build their own lease them from teams that do. they used items like pistons machined from solid aluminum billet stock not forgings

Get notified of new replies

To Availability of RO7 NASCAR Engine ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Availability of RO7 NASCAR Engine ?