Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Pikes Peak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Pikes Peak

Hey I am sure you all get asked this alot but here goes anyway, planning a trip your way in Aug and wanted to know how the road is up Pikes Peak, can I take the vette or too much loose gravel?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
CrustyOldGuy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The road is plenty good enough for all cars, but if you like your vette I wouldn't.
Not only is there a lot of rocks being thrown around, but depending on when it was graded, the wash boards can be pretty bad.

If you really want to go to the top, take the tour bus or the cog rail.
I've taken that railway up once and driven up twice. I'd rather drive, but not in my vette.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
rednred
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

agree. Personally, I like mt evans better.

Originally Posted by CrustyOldGuy
The road is plenty good enough for all cars, but if you like your vette I wouldn't.
Not only is there a lot of rocks being thrown around, but depending on when it was graded, the wash boards can be pretty bad.

If you really want to go to the top, take the tour bus or the cog rail.
I've taken that railway up once and driven up twice. I'd rather drive, but not in my vette.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rednred
agree. Personally, I like mt evans better.
Mt Evens is great (so is the buffalo chili at the restaurant) but the time I was there a couple of years ago, the frost heaves in the paved asphalt was so bad I thought I was going to high center my C5.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
rednred
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah - good to know. I hadn't been up there for a while.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Mt Evens is great (so is the buffalo chili at the restaurant) but the time I was there a couple of years ago, the frost heaves in the paved asphalt was so bad I thought I was going to high center my C5.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I was there last Friday and the road is paved all the way to the parking lot. Looks smooth but we were on the cog rail and a bit aways. They told us someon drove to the top in just over 10 minutes last may 70 mph at the last turn and only 3 tires left!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM
rhoge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pikes Peak Highway is paved for about half the way---the lower half. Maintaining a paved highway on Pikes Peak, with the weather extremes, would be cost prohibitive. Here is a quote from one of the web pages that describes the route: The final 11 miles are unpaved. Carved into the side of the mountain, the final stretch has numerous hairpin curves, no guard rails and long, steep drops off the side of the road.

If someone drove the route in 10 minutes, they need to enter the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The world record is 10 minutes and 01 second, set by "Monster" Tajima in 2007 in a 4-wheel drive, 1000 HP Suzuki.

I, like others, would not drive my Vette up the gravel road.

Get notified of new replies

To Pikes Peak

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak