Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Vettes on the Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM
AlBab
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, been traveling for business. you can get the package from the registration table. Registration is open from 7 to 5 on Friday, or 1 to 4:30 on Thursday if you are there that early.

hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM
S.U. Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by AlBab
sorry, been traveling for business. you can get the package from the registration table. Registration is open from 7 to 5 on Friday, or 1 to 4:30 on Thursday if you are there that early.

hope that helps.
What if we aren't coming up until Saturday morning?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Leaving in a half hour to head up to Winter Park
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Albab,

Thx for the response, I travel quite a bit myself and totally understand. Stop by and say hi at the car show, red c5 modded vert with YGOSLOW plates.

Take care...Dave
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

SU Vette,

In the past, at Frisco, they would have a table set up prior to entering the show area where u could pull off and pick up your packet.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Nelson10
Instructor

Any groups meeting to cruise up on sat.a.m. that I can tag along with?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson10
Any groups meeting to cruise up on sat.a.m. that I can tag along with?
There's 5-6 of us heading up at 8am from Loveland.

Lookin' forward to it!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Nelson10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
There's 5-6 of us heading up at 8am from Loveland.

Lookin' forward to it!!!
303-748-5915

Nelson.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nelson10
303-748-5915

Nelson.
Text sent.

Robert
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM
S.U. Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by CO YGOSLOW
SU Vette,

In the past, at Frisco, they would have a table set up prior to entering the show area where u could pull off and pick up your packet.

Good luck
Was nice meeting you today. Congrats on your awards!!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 PM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

Nice meeting u as well and thanks. Show was great except for the 1100 down pour. I guess I shouldn't have complained about the participant choice judging in earlier posts. It turned out pretty favorable for me and our dinky unofficial club.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Out of curiousity, how did this show compare to those in the past?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

On the car show...Winter Park's setup would limit you to the capacity of the parking lot. With Frisco there was room for expansion. Parking by categories is always a plus, easier for judging and to know who's in your class. I vented quite a bit in earlier posts about the show going to Participant Judging. I was not a fan of them changing, and even though I did suprisingly well, I would much rather prefer judges with scoring sheets as they have done in the past. Everybody was guilty of voting for their friends cars and when the showers hit, after cleaning the cars a second time we were all rushed to finish judging. In fact I didn't get finished filling in all categories. It seemed like they still gave out a bunch of awards.

There's alot of mixed reactions about Breck vs Winter Park. Shopping, dining and cruising was better in Breck/Frisco. Condo's, underground parking and the village area was nice and kept people together.

Hope this helps...Dave
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by CO YGOSLOW
On the car show...Winter Park's setup would limit you to the capacity of the parking lot. With Frisco there was room for expansion. Parking by categories is always a plus, easier for judging and to know who's in your class. I vented quite a bit in earlier posts about the show going to Participant Judging. I was not a fan of them changing, and even though I did suprisingly well, I would much rather prefer judges with scoring sheets as they have done in the past. Everybody was guilty of voting for their friends cars and when the showers hit, after cleaning the cars a second time we were all rushed to finish judging. In fact I didn't get finished filling in all categories. It seemed like they still gave out a bunch of awards.

There's alot of mixed reactions about Breck vs Winter Park. Shopping, dining and cruising was better in Breck/Frisco. Condo's, underground parking and the village area was nice and kept people together.

Hope this helps...Dave
Appreciate your input, and congrats on another plaque.

From a car guy perspective, it seemed like little more than another car show held in a parking lot. Aside from the cars themselves, the wow or "cool" factor didn't seem to be there. But, car guys don't need that as the cars themselves tend to suffice. I was really surprised to see just a couple of vendors there as well.

From a spectator perspective, it couldn't hold a flame to shutting down a street that was lined with restaurants, hotels and shopping for the gals.

I may be wrong, but I think there are more rounded places such a long-term large event could secure than a parking lot at the one hotel in the area. I viewd Vettes on the Rockies as kind of a prestigious Vette show and walked away (loving the cars) but the rest of it was pretty boring.

Last edited by Fly'n Family; 08-12-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Nelson10
Instructor

Would agree it didn't have the same appeal as years past. Winter Park in a parking lot was not what I was expecting. It was a nice drive and other than the rain it was still a good day. Like breckenridge, frisco better.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Imola2001
Racer

Received 420 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a great time again.

Both locations have plus and minuses.

At WP I liked how everything was "close" without having to go 20 min here or there for the different sub-events (autoX and show).

I also could have done without the rain

As for "shops", I took the gondola back into the village for lunch. I never did buy anything while walking main street in Frisco, so I don't think I missed out on anything due to the move.

I'm sure with next year being the 40th year, and now that people see that WP is a viable location, next year will be even bigger, and there will be more venders.

See everyone next year at WP for VOTR!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OK, so here goes...the LGCA folks are terrific, special kudos to Steve C. They accomodated my wife and I having our cars together and that was great.

I really liked the hotel accomodations and parking set up (covered garages) a great place to work on the cars.

The venue was really nice also, I liked being able to eat and drink without having to drive. The restaurants were all good and the grounds were beautiful.

I did not like the Participant judging...what I predicted would happen did happen. There was not enough time to judge all of the cars. The 39 cars from Texas garnered an unusual amount of awards (go figure). I would like to see LGCA reconsider and go back to judging next year.

The picture of all the cars needs to be redone...what was presented was terrible, you could not make out any of the cars except the first line and they were very small, someone suggested a video done at ground level.

The Rally was OK, but I would like to see us driving more off 40 and into the hills, back, scenic roads with more emphasis on following driving instructions...just my perspective.

Final verdict, if they go with the old style judging, Lee and I will be back next year. Way to go LGCA...a great weekend overall.

Last edited by Too-Fast; 08-14-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm glad I went but I probably won't go again. I didn't like the accommodations. No convenient ice machines. I had to walk all the way around the building to get to my room from the garage. With no help for luggage, that sucked. And, no a/c in the room. I'm sorry, I'm from Texas - I use a/c even when it's 70 outside.

The show was ok but really it was just people's choice for everyone and a whole bunch of winners in most classes. And how did they class the cars anyway?

Town for the women is not as good as Breckenridge. Way more shopping there and things to do. Honestly, my 3 days in Durango, Silverton and then the drive up to Winter Park were the best days of driving for me.

I was also disappointed in the local they chose for the photoshoot. It was very boring.

I was disappointed. That's my two cents.

I still had a great time driving the Z on those mountain roads though.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

LisasZR1 has hit the nail right on the head. Should have stayed in Eagle or Summit county. Winter Park offers very little, if any, fine dining or upscale shopping. No attractions to speak of. Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park is about it. Too bad they have committed to 2013 for another VOTR.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM
rmendoza
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2013 votr

I attended VOTR this year 2013. I was only going to participate in the car show but decided to stay 2 nights and check out this first time event for me. I understand last year was a People's Choice, and lots weren't happy about it. Peoples Choice is a toss up any way with favoritisium, and ballot box stuffing, but this year was different. It was a judged show, with LGCA participants having their cars judged separately for separate awards. Winter Park local volunteers were used as judges aided by LGCA folks. I've put my 2012 Torch Red Grand Sport in many Concour shows where the judging is really tight. This was a Show N Shin level car show. They had score sheet that the judges were to work from. They had a judges instruction meeting prior to the judging beginning. The parking by class was written on you registration card and I found the parking by class fool proof.....a great job. I was in the F Class which was called the performance class, Grand Sports, Z06s and ZR1s. Base C6s had their own class. If I had a question it would have been why was the C5 Z06 in this prodominately C6 Class. They said it was because it was a performance class car. In hinsight it probably was ok. The checklist and scoring instruction were based on condition and cleanliness, so a un-prepared ZR1 could loose to a super clean and fresh C5 Z06. Additionally the score card had a "Tie Breaker", so when they inspected your car they also gave you a number. Personally I thought LGCA did a great job with the show, judging and awards! In addition to 1st-3rd in each class they also had finalist awards. Size of the Class determined how many finalist awards. In my F Class I think there was 5 finalist awards for a total of 8 awards. These comments are coming from someone who didn't get an award. Ours was a large class with several inspection teams. Unfortunately one team was over zealous and only inspected about 6 cars. What is the probability of 6 C6 Grand Sports, Z06s or ZR1s inspected by the same team, at a show like this, not scoring above 90 out of a possible 110 points? The female was using a white rag to check for dust and the male pull out a telescoping mirror to look below the top of the engine. Clearly this team didn't have a clue. I shared this with the LGCA car show chairman. He acqknowledged that mine was not the only complaint and it would be fixed next year. That was fine with me. I'm sure well all have our share of trophies anyway and it was a great time. Harlan Charles, Corvette Production Marketing Manager was there and I got him to autograph my 7 Corvette Generation poster that will hang in my garage. They had a C7 coupe and convertibe there that you could sit in and have someone take your picture. I also attended the dinner which had great food and a presentation on the C7 that answered any question that you could imagine.............So for the cost, I'm only a show guy so I paid $30 for the car show entry and my gas and two night stay. I met a lot of nice people, I respect the challenge of a large event like this and I tip my hat the the members of LGCA. I'll be there next year!
God Bless,
rick

Quick Reply: Vettes on the Rockies