Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Mountain owners...summer tires or all season?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 PM
MatthewW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain owners...summer tires or all season?

New Corvette owner in Denver here. Been surfing the forums for a couple months now but finally got my car back home today.

My 2009 C6 with Z51 has the stock Goodyear F1 Supercar "max summer performance" tires on it. As we know these have poor traction in cold conditions. As I made my way across the midwest on I-70 today (picked car up in Illinois) I ran into a short but terrifying icy stretch. I don't plan on driving it in the snow/ice ever again but we know the mountains can be unpredictable, especially late spring early fall.

Has anyone put all season tires on their Corvette and had a good/bad experience?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very pleased with the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season plus ZP (run-flats) I installed last March on my 09 C6 Z51.

Definitely feel more confident in the wet and cold. In mild street driving, the biggest difference I've noticed is an improved ride.

I have not driven on snow or ice... my driving is practically all fair-weather 3-season. Almost never drive it in winter. And no track use and no racing, so I can't comment on extreme performance differences.

Lots of tire choices depending on your budget, intended use, and preferences. Michelins are popular. There are less-expensive choices, too... some folks opt for non-runflats (they carry an emergency plug kit + inflator).

You could spend hours reading related threads in the "C6 General" forum, like these:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-please.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...run-flats.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...659-tires.html
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
MatthewW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Michelins are the ones I have been looking at. Thanks for the feedback.

I guess if I were really serious I would buy a new set of wheels/tires to swap in for the colder months...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I also went to Michelin PS AS ZP's for my built 08', and I couldn't be happier. Mine sleeps in the garage during the winter, although I did take it out for a cruise a couple of weeks ago when it warmed up.

The ride is significanly improved, the tire road noise significanly reduced, and I've been caught in the rain once and the grip was noticeably better. If/when I have to put on new set down the road, it will be these again.

Get notified of new replies

To Mountain owners...summer tires or all season?

Quick Reply: Mountain owners...summer tires or all season?