Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Non Corvette question for all members in Denver, CO

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Non Corvette question for all members in Denver, CO

My daughter just accepted a position with the Colorado Avalanche. I will be driving her there and making sure everything is done and set for her new apartment this coming weekend.

She drives a 2011 Mercedes-Benz GLK.....

Question is to all members living in or near Denver, CO.

Will she need different tires in the winter? (tires on it now are "all-season")

OR should I consider looking into an "all wheel" drive car or 4x4 small SUV ?

Also, does any special undercoating need to be applied due to the snow and salt ?

Any and all comments / suggestions are very appreciated.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 04-05-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm assuming the GLK is not the 4matic? If it is rear wheel drive, she could likely get by decently with good snow tires on it but if she has the option of getting an SUV or car with awd and snows she would be golden for driving in the snow.

Getting an awd car with all season tires on it won't be a huge improvement over what she has. Getting awd with snows will provide a night and day difference in terms of improvement over her current vehicle with all seasons on it. Denver metro area doesn't get a ton of snow, probably snow on the ground 25-30 days a year and out of those snow days probably 10 days the snow is deep/icy enough to really warrant use of snows. However it only takes one wreck due to poor traction on an snowy day to change your perspective on whether snows are worth the money.

On my wife's AWD Acura MDX we have two sets of wheels/tires, she used to freak out about driving in the snow with the all seasons and ask me to drive her to work anytime it would snow. With the snows she feels ultra-confident and has not asked me to drive her to work since.

As for undercoating protection, I recommend just the undercarriage with a pressure washer a few times a winter, they use magnesium chloride here, not salt.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Nope, its not the 4matic. No real need for it here in San Antonio.

Well I guess between now and next winter we'll have to see about a different car..... Looks like I may inherit a nice GLK as a DD !!

And yet another expense................

Last edited by Sinister-one; 04-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
I'm assuming the GLK is not the 4matic? If it is rear wheel drive, she could likely get by decently with good snow tires on it but if she has the option of getting an SUV or car with awd and snows she would be golden for driving in the snow.

Getting an awd car with all season tires on it won't be a huge improvement over what she has. Getting awd with snows will provide a night and day difference in terms of improvement over her current vehicle with all seasons on it. Denver metro area doesn't get a ton of snow, probably snow on the ground 25-30 days a year and out of those snow days probably 10 days the snow is deep/icy enough to really warrant use of snows. However it only takes one wreck due to poor traction on an snowy day to change your perspective on whether snows are worth the money.

On my wife's AWD Acura MDX we have two sets of wheels/tires, she used to freak out about driving in the snow with the all seasons and ask me to drive her to work anytime it would snow. With the snows she feels ultra-confident and has not asked me to drive her to work since.

As for undercoating protection, I recommend just the undercarriage with a pressure washer a few times a winter, they use magnesium chloride here, not salt.
Well said. RWD really needs snow tires to be safe in Denver for a daily driver. AWD and snow tires is best. I have 2 SUV's with A/T M&S tires for the winter. The all season highway tires that came with my 4Runner were horrible in the snow.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 AM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

We can get snow from late September to early May. Snow tires will be most helpful especially if she doesn't have experience driving in the snow.
Traction control is a major benefit as well.

I taught my wife to drive in the snow by practicing in an empty parking lot and having her get the car to spin out, attempt to brake quickly, etc. It was a helpful experience for her to learn how to react when traction is lost and to see how long it takes to stop on ice.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

can "snow tires" be left on the car year round ??

There's NO WAY I buying a second set of Mercedes-Benz GLK wheels !
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
sbaba
Racer

I think you'll wear out snow tires in the summer very quickly.
I have not used this company, but check out: https://www.tirestorage.com/
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends on commute.

I have been in colorado for 10 years and my wife has been here her entire life.
Locals don't all drive 4x4 or run snow tires.

When a bad storm comes in leave work before it hits, or go to work a few hours late.
If your in the city they keep the roads clear.

Its the guys in the country that need 4x4 to get home before the roads are plowed.

If its a really big deal, buy a set of studded snow tires and another set of wheels.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 PM
sbaba
Racer

By the way, while a second set of wheels is easier, you don't need a second set. You can swap out the tires.

Also, depending on where your daughter lives and her commute, I believe that Uber would be a good option on snowy days.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
Depends on commute.

I have been in colorado for 10 years and my wife has been here her entire life.
Locals don't all drive 4x4 or run snow tires.

When a bad storm comes in leave work before it hits, or go to work a few hours late.
If your in the city they keep the roads clear.

Its the guys in the country that need 4x4 to get home before the roads are plowed.

If its a really big deal, buy a set of studded snow tires and another set of wheels.
Originally Posted by sbaba
By the way, while a second set of wheels is easier, you don't need a second set. You can swap out the tires.

Also, depending on where your daughter lives and her commute, I believe that Uber would be a good option on snowy days.
The apartments are near Fillmore and Colfax and the zoo / park area. Her job is at the Pepsi Center.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

They really keep down town clear.
We are talking 0 to 4 days a year.

I would not do anything this year. Can always get better tires after the first storm
if she feels they are needed. If that doesn't work, reevaluate after some time to adjust.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 PM
sbaba
Racer

I am not super familiar with Denver. Check out Google Maps. Looks like it is actually a short drive and also there is bus if she is concerned.

Denver is a great city and I'm sure your daughter is going to love it!

Welcome to Colorado!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:42 AM
99bluebird
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If only rwd I would get a second set of studded snows, if awd you can do a set of all weather (not all-season). All-weather has the snowflake symbol but can stay on in the summer and still get 20k miles, the ones on our cayenne are nokian wrg3 suv. You can get cheap wheels for the snow tires, sets for $800 on ebay.
The city park-downtown stretch is some of the busiest areas in Denver, so it will be plowed most of the time. If she has any interest in traveling to the mountains Oct-April then you want to be prepared. If a frequent skiier then you will really benefit from awd and good tires
Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 AM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I live near The Denver Botanic Gardens, just walking distance to where your daughter is moving and have to agree just some good winter tires will serve well most winters.
I prefer to own a truck with 4x4 for the winter but it’s not an absolute necessity. We do get a blizzard every few years but after a day or two the roads are very passable.
The City of Denver does a very good job of keeping the main streets plowed but the side streets can be rough once in a while.

This is a great part of Denver as entertainment and restaurants, shopping etc. are only a few minutes away. It’s in one of the hottest real estate markets in Denver and is pricing many people out of the area, both in rentals and home purchases. I hope you and your daughter have a safe trip to Denver and she likes her new home.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 AM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get awd and Nokians and never worry. These tires are all season and pass snow-chain regulations.

They are the best all year tire especially for SUV's/Trucks imho.

We (family) have had 4 sets.

My buddy (C6 ZR1 and Tahoe owner) owns a tire shop if you need it. Nokians is what he uses on his Tahoe, his wife's MDX & his son's GMC Sierra.

https://www.nokiantires.com/

Last edited by RUGBY; 04-13-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RUGBY
Get awd and Nokians and never worry. These tires are all season and pass snow-chain regulations.

They are the best all year tire especially for SUV's/Trucks imho.

We (family) have had 4 sets.

My buddy (C6 ZR1 and Tahoe owner) owns a tire shop if you need it. Nokians is what he uses on his Tahoe, his wife's MDX & his son's GMC Sierra.

https://www.nokiantires.com/
We just purchased the GLK about 2 months ago..... I'm NOT buying another vehicle.....

Get notified of new replies

To Non Corvette question for all members in Denver, CO

Quick Reply: Non Corvette question for all members in Denver, CO