Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Help Introduce a Corvette Newb to a C6 Z06 in SLC Utah Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:04 PM
homelessdave
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Introduce a Corvette Newb to a C6 Z06 in SLC Utah Area

I've been out of the car world since I moved to the SLC Utah area in 2013. Looking for a new weekend toy I've realized how easy it was to buy a car before I moved: I could drive pretty much anything at auto-x, I had buddies with all kinds of different cars to help me learn about a particular make or model, and I saw what broke all the time at the track.

I've been looking at a C6 Z06 or a 987.2 Cayman S. I've been doing homework about the problems with each across the various years and today I went to test drive some. Faced with access to a couple Z06s in the area and the cash to buy one, I've suddenly realized that I have no idea what one should feel or sound like. So far, it has been a bit of a struggle to get to drive them and the test drive is relatively short in a car I am not familiar with. Long story short, I'm a bit overwhelmed and a bad choice in this price range could buy 3 track prepped Miatas (my normal weapon of choice).

Is there anyone in the area with a Z06 who'd like to give a newb a tour of the car, go through the problem areas, and take me for a ride in an example that is in good working order (I don't want to drive yours, I just want to experience normal)?

An example of some of the things that came up today:
  1. Why did they all have dead batteries or a battery drain issue that seemed to be something that is just dismissed as normal?
  2. Are these headlight covers reparable or will they just get hazier?
  3. Is that a misfire at idle or is that just what this car is like?
  4. Somebody cut the bushings to lower the car. Should I just walk away now?
  5. What are these things in a plastic bag in the glove box?
  6. What is this cable in the glove box?
  7. Is this car down on power?
  8. The fit of these fog lights seems weird. Is that normal?
  9. This clutch feels mushy on return. Is that what they all feel like?
Many of the above, but not all, came from a test drive of the car shown in these photos: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/...RhTU51RXdvdUJn
Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 PM
Brethawy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey there,
I moved to Layton a couple months ago with my Z so I may be able to help a little. Most questions would be easier to answer in person by showing you mine.
To my knowledge these cars have no known issues with batteries.
I wouldn't mess with a car that had bushings cut to lower; as you can just lower on the stock lowering bolts. If someone is hacking up bushings I can only imagine.....

Maybe we can meet up sometime and I'll show you mine; that example you seen does not sound too promising but that's just me.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to the forum, you may also want to check out the c6 for sale section of the forum you will probably find a better deal on a nicer car even if you have to have it shipped. I have owned a C6 Grand sport and now own a C7Z so I can't answer many questions about the C6Z but the one main issue that you want to look out for is the Valves some of the LS7 motors are prone to drop Valves.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:12 PM
homelessdave
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met up with Brethawy this weekend. He's got a super clean car. After looking his car over, I am definitely walking away from the one I looked at and linked photos to above. It looks nice, but too many things aren't right with it. I'm still talking to another local seller about an 09 with 2 years of warranty left on a new crate motor.

Thanks for the pointers Shostopper.

Last edited by homelessdave; 01-03-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Introduce a Corvette Newb to a C6 Z06 in SLC Utah Area

Quick Reply: Help Introduce a Corvette Newb to a C6 Z06 in SLC Utah Area