National Corvette Museum Will Partially Fill Hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default National Corvette Museum Will Partially Fill Hole

Now it appears we can finally start putting this whole sinkhole ordeal behind us and move on.

After weeks of speculation, the National Corvette Museum seems to be set on partially filling the sinkhole with plans to build a bridge over part of the thing to keep those tourists flocking to the facility, according to a Courier-Journal report.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Ivan B Schrodt
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default sinkhole, not fill but close hole in concrete

I think partially filling the hole is inaccurate. What the Museum previously discussed was partially closing the hole in the concrete. The floor would rest on piers and there has not been any discussion of filling the hole that I am aware of.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Ivan B Schrodt
I think partially filling the hole is inaccurate. What the Museum previously discussed was partially closing the hole in the concrete. The floor would rest on piers and there has not been any discussion of filling the hole that I am aware of.
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The sinkhole that swallowed up eight cars at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green will be partially filled in with plans for a bridge built over the top of the section left open.

National Corvette Museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli said the facility will keep a 25-by-45-foot section that’s about 30 feet deep with a bridge over it as a tourist attraction.

Frassinelli said officials wanted to leave the Skydome room as is, for people attending their 20th anniversary celebration at the end of the month.

The sinkhole in February did more than $1 million in damage to cars that fell on rocks. The cars were eventually pulled out of the hole.

The Skydome area will close in September, so repairs can begin.

While the sinkhole was destructive, it also led to a large increase in attendance at the museum.

Initially, officials set up a webcam that let people follow the painstaking work to retrieve the fallen cars and reinforce the area around the sinkhole. Museum visitors got a direct glimpse from a distance, behind plexiglass. Later, the museum gave tourists a much closer look at the hole.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:45 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing a tour on 09/12/14. Any idea what will be there at that point?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just received an email today from the NCM that said the Board of Directors has now voted to completely fil in the hole. Turns out the cost of keeping the hole would have been a million dollars more than the cost of filling it in.

Get notified of new replies

To National Corvette Museum Will Partially Fill Hole

Quick Reply: National Corvette Museum Will Partially Fill Hole