CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 25-28, 2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
Need more Corvette parts/ accessories vendors on the midway.
been coming for ten years and it seems that every year there are less vendors
Unfortunately there's not much Carlisle can do about that. Blame the state of Pennsylvania. Remember when Mid America was the main sponsor and they brought their HUGE tent and products? Then the next year.......they were gone. Why? Because the state tacked on new tax laws that made it absurdly hard for any out of state vendors to make a profit so the vendors stopped coming. Corvette America is in Reedsville Pa and we're all thankful that they took over when MA pulled out. So unless the state quits taxing the heck out of these guys you're not going to see an increase in vendors.
The following users liked this post:
racelance (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Unfortunately there's not much Carlisle can do about that. Blame the state of Pennsylvania. Remember when Mid America was the main sponsor and they brought their HUGE tent and products? Then the next year.......they were gone. Why? Because the state tacked on new tax laws that made it absurdly hard for any out of state vendors to make a profit so the vendors stopped coming. Corvette America is in Reedsville Pa and we're all thankful that they took over when MA pulled out. So unless the state quits taxing the heck out of these guys you're not going to see an increase in vendors.
its really sad but thats what it comes down too. for years it was a staple for big name vendors to have moist of there products there at the show, too take your orders on site and too deliver your order to the show. has came to those same vendors just bringing catalogs to give you. but that's only on the repro side of the hobby. on the other side of original parts there is only so many good usable parts out there, and after a while its going to dry up to only having "junk" parts left to salvage and hopefully make work.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
What new tax laws are you referring to?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:48 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette
What new tax laws are you referring to?
I think he's referring to the crackdown on the collection of the state's 6% sales tax on purchases. Several years ago the "sales tax police" forced the issue for vendors at Carlisle to collect and pay it to the state. That's a huge headache for the vendors...we were required to get a tax number as a vendor.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

They also needed to buy a business perment for the days they are there
Old 09-05-2016, 12:52 AM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette
Here's the Corvette Forum Grandstand photo. It almost didn't happen, because only by sheer chance did the photographer awake from his noontime nap in the shade under a pop-up at 1:27 pm, who then hustled over to the grandstand on time like nothing happened. Ask me how I know

Anyways, we lined up, and said photographer then realized that absent a tripod, he couldn't be in the photo, as well. So a teenager standing nearby was pressed into service, given extensive training ("stand here. Look through viewfinder, make sure everyone's in the picture. Press here when you're ready"), and a photograph happened.

Here's the result:
Heyyyy, the picture is finally up, cool.......I'm sixth from the left, with the rolled up Kerbeck poster in my hand.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
Unfortunately this is South Central PA. This year, two weeks before the show was significantly hotter. There were heat advisories all week with the heat index was over 105 every day with at least one day over 120. Plus a thunderstorm almost each day. If you move it until September you're into the rainy part of our year. Anyone putting on an outdoor event in our area knows they just pick a weekend and pray for decent weather.
I think the weather was the same on the whole East coast this year, so moving it wouldn't really take the weather into account just timing.
I believe the tax problem is they want you to collect state tax on products sold the rest of the year also.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:57 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
I think the weather was the same on the whole East coast this year, so moving it wouldn't really take the weather into account just timing.
I believe the tax problem is they want you to collect state tax on products sold the rest of the year also.
I've lived all 64 years of my life 80 miles south of Carlisle. August weather is pretty predictable.....hot and humid....

The show is very successful in spite of the weather. It would be pretty hard to justify moving it to a different time period.

I have to admit I do not understand the sales tax issue. I usually try to buy things at Carlisle, especially heavy items, to save on shipping. I have no issue paying sales tax.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 AM
kcust62
Pro

Originally Posted by divotdug
I've lived all 64 years of my life 80 miles south of Carlisle. August weather is pretty predictable.....hot and humid....

The show is very successful in spite of the weather. It would be pretty hard to justify moving it to a different time period.

I have to admit I do not understand the sales tax issue. I usually try to buy things at Carlisle, especially heavy items, to save on shipping. I have no issue paying sales tax.
It's not the problem from a buyers perspective. It's the seller or vendor's headache to collect the tax and forward it to the state. That's the issue that has driven some vendors away from Carlisle.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:29 AM
kcust62
Pro

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
They also needed to buy a business perment for the days they are there
You betcha...more damn money making schemes to clean our pockets.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

All registered for next year, reserved spot, and hotel booked. Now the hard part starts.......waiting.
ladder13 (11-23-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Northern Connecticut Posse has 9 Corvettes going in 2017. We already purchased 9 reserved spots and have hotel reservations.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 384 Posts

Tickets bought, and reserved spot also. Hotel reservations made as usual in Mechanicsburg. 30+ years and counting.

Last edited by ladder13; 11-23-2016 at 11:15 AM.
racelance (11-25-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

I wonder if Magna Flow or anyone is bringing a BIG name in for the show like they did with Chip Foose and Mario Andretti.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM
RaceNH
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The wife and I are thinking of coming to our first CAC event this year. Can anyone tell me the best hotels to stay at? Also is it best to get a VIP reserved spot in the fun field? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited by RaceNH; 01-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:56 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

There are plenty of good hotels in the area, but be prepared for the prices. Even the not so great places overcharge. And many of the close ones are already sold out. There is a Super 8 on Alexander Springs Rd. that always seems to have rooms and it has mixed reviews, but it is very close and convenient. Check www.choicehotels.com , www.hotels.com , or even the Carlisle events web page for hotel listings.
To save money, we normally stay in Scotland, Pa close to Chambersburg. There are several nice hotels there for about 1/2 the price of closer hotels. We were at the new Super 8 last year and it was not quite $80 a night and included breakfast. Clean, well kept, and easy access to 81. It's about a 1/2 hour drive, but it's all highway and an easy drive.
Depending on how many of the 4 days you're planning on being there, I highly recommend getting a reserved spot. Thursday isn't real busy, but Friday and especially Saturday it will be packed to the rim. And if the weather is good it really packs them in. With a reserved spot, it won't matter what days you go because you have your spot. Plus, without a reservation you need to get there super early (like 6 a.m.) to find a spot. With one, it won't matter what time you get there.
So my best advice is to get a reserved spot, get a hotel, and sit back and relax. Your window sticker will come in the mail a week or two before the event. You'll want to put it on the driver's side upper corner of your windshield, and you have to have it on to get into the fairgrounds.
If you have one, or can borrow a pop up canopy, do so. It can get extremely hot at Carlisle. Last year was miserable. And there's NO shade. And Carlisle is basically a field so a canopy is also great if it rains (and it does rain) So that's a necessity. Bring that and a couple of bag chairs or folding chairs. You're allowed to bring a cooler and drinks and food on site, and there are PLENTY of places to get food and drinks there including breakfasts. Bring money, a hat, good walking shoes (you'll walk miles). And be prepared to have a good time.

Last edited by USA1 427; 01-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:14 PM
RaceNH
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Thank you for all the info will start looking at hotels and reserving a spot for this year. Looking forward to the trip already.

Jim
ladder13 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:52 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 384 Posts

In 30+ years of coming to Carlisle we've stayed all over the place. I remember when most of the out of town hotels had no idea a car show was going on that weekend and prices were low.
Currently for the past 5-6 years we've been staying in Mechanicsburg at the Hampton Inn on Ritter Rd. Before that we were across the street for some 5 years at Homewood Suites.
The Hampton Inn is an easy back roads ride into the Fairgrounds, it's clean, and not too bad on price.
Another plus, some of the Kerbeck crew stays there for the weekend

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 25-28, 2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD