CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

USA1 provided you with our rules and regulations regarding pets above.

I'd suggest you order yourself a Fun Field pass versus paying for two event passes and parking each day. You end up with much more bang for your buck, plus you can park your Corvette on the Fun Field and potentially win an award. Here's the link that provides more information: https://store.carlisleevents.com/Sea...lts.asp?Cat=29.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for coming,

Lance

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I have questions never being there, and since my 70 birthday coming up, thought I would I go to this event I herd about for decades.

Questions:
I buy two passes for $35.00 each, for the weekend, does that including parking my Corvette in the field, or do I have to buy additional parking pass?

I also found pet friendly Hotel, and are pets allowed in the show field?
The following users liked this post:
1bdvet (07-07-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:40 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

so excited for this year. after our first visit there last year, i upgraded to a new vette from my 08 and can't wait to do the corvette parade.

Mike Furman was right, for any CAR (not just corvette) enthusiast it truly is a bucket list event!!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:00 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 255 Posts

Does the Corvette Forum have a "spot on the hill" with a banner or is it just park wherever?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Does the Corvette Forum have a "spot on the hill" with a banner or is it just park wherever?
I believe it's "park where you want". But there's usually a thread for a meet up for a picture. That should be popping up soon.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

You always tell where the Canadians park !
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sids04
You always tell where the Canadians park !
Huh??
Old 07-23-2017, 05:16 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Look for the maple leaf flags on the high ground ! Those guys look like they have a blast !
Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm trying to get a bit of a sense as to what the show is like - never been but sounds a bit intriguing. Is it sort of like Bloomington Gold (which I have been to) - displays, vendors, showfields, special car exhibits (or themes) ? I understand that it's big (geographically) and the weather can be very hot and/or rainy. Unfortunately attendance for me would be sans 'vette; hopefully that doesn't make one too much of an outlier! Thanks.

Last edited by wamara; 07-24-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by wamara
I'm trying to get a bit of a sense as to what the show is like - never been but sounds a bit intriguing. Is it sort of like Bloomington Gold (which I have been to) - displays, vendors, showfields, special car exhibits (or themes) ? I understand that it's big (geographically) and the weather can be very hot and/or rainy. Unfortunately attendance for me would be sans 'vette; hopefully that doesn't make one too much of an outlier! Thanks.
Bloomington and Carlisle are totally different. Bloomington is much smaller with a primary focus on older Corvettes and restoring and judging older Corvettes. If you are into that then fine, but I found it generally pretty boring -- been there several times over the years and hasn't gotten any better, although the new location at the Indianapolis Speedway is a significant improvement.

Carlisle on the other hand is HUGE with emphasis on all Corvettes with tons of vendors, dealers, and cars for sale and on exhibit. Parts of it are like a giant flea market for Corvette Parts (new and used). The major Corvette Dealers and the GM Engineers are there to answer questions and show off the latest things. It takes 1 to 2 days just to walk through all the aisles of stuff. Definitely worth attending with or without your Corvette -- Bloomington not so much.
wamara (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

I can't say how Bloomington compares because I've never been there. But one word I've heard from people I know who have attended is "stuffy".
Carlisle is more of an "experience". This is our 13th year with a Vette , 14th total. You don't need a Corvette to enjoy everything. You can walk the aisles and see every type of Vette from stock from the showroom, to the most outrageous concoctions you never thought you'd see. Ever see a Vette pulling a coffin with a skeleton?
There is one section every year to celebrate Vettes that were produced 50 years prior to the current year, so this year it will be the 67's. But the fun field (showfield) is every year with no order, so you can see a 62 next to a 17 next to an 84. And every owner is more than happy to talk to you about their ride. We've made a lot of friends over the years from all over the country. You find some clubs scattered around too.
There is a midway with a good many vendors, Corvette America being the largest. There is an installation alley where they'll swap your exhaust out right there while you watch. There is a specific area for selling Vettes and you can find a good deal. And there is a whole area for a swap meet where you can find anything and everything from car parts to toilet seats. One guy comes every year and makes the strangest stuff out of metal. Or you can have a tee shirt or jacket or sweatshirt embroidered with YOUR car on it
Hungry? You'll find everything from bacon and eggs to fried chicken to sausage to Subway and more. You'll find a fantastic pulled pork guy there too.
And if you get tired, there's a free tram to ride around the fairgrounds on and look at things while you sit and catch a breeze.
Burnout contests, Miss Carlisle pageant , concerts, celebrities, and a huge parade through downtown.
Sure doesn't sound "stuffy", but a whole lot of fun.
wamara (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM
1677vetteguy
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't have explained it any better -- great description of the weekend. We're counting down the days... 31 to go!! I'm having rear diffuser fins installed on my 2016 Z06 by ACS this year. My buddy is thinking about adding a supercharger on his 2017 Grand Sport -- I'm sure he won't be able to have that done on Installation Alley though?? See you all there!!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

This is my 1st year going I'm really looking forward to going, I signed up for the judged show but I'm hoping I could get a few more details? I heard there are different classes for the judging? Also what day does the judging take place? I'm trying to figure out what days I need/want to be there as I don't think I can make the whole weekend.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZEEEE 06
This is my 1st year going I'm really looking forward to going, I signed up for the judged show but I'm hoping I could get a few more details? I heard there are different classes for the judging? Also what day does the judging take place? I'm trying to figure out what days I need/want to be there as I don't think I can make the whole weekend.
Are you talking about the special NCCC Concours judged show? Or just the celebrity pic judging on the Fun Field?

Classes for the NCCC show are listed here http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis...px?detailid=62

There are only 175 cars for that show. I've never done that, but I would imagine Friday and Saturday would be the judging days, with awards on Sunday. I don't know when they announce winners for this show. I do know that they're really really picky for this, like white glove picky. I'm sure someone will chime in here with more info.

If you're referring to the "celebrity judging" on the Fun Field it's not really "judging". It's celebrities who have been designated "judges" and they go over the entire Fun Field and pick out their favorite car of the weekend. They aren't looking under your car at your wheel wells or looking for a piece of hair on your floor mats. It's just what catches their eye. There are quite a few celebrity pics given out, and while the so called judging is supposed to take place on Saturday after lunch, many of the judges walk around Friday and early Saturday so they can see as many cars as they can before making their picks. Every car on the fun field has an equal chance and there are no set rules. I've seen barn finds with no paint on them win this award, and I've seen stock Vettes, or totally outrageous Vettes get picked as well.
Winners know immediately if they've won because if a judge picks your car, you'll get a sticker on your windshield and a paper in your car telling you that you've won. Awards are handed out on Sunday during the celebrity parade, or you can go to Guest Relations on Saturday and pay to have your award shipped to your home if you can't be there for the parade.

Last edited by USA1 427; 07-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Great, what have I done? I signed up for the NCCC judging and I'm coming from MI with an open trailer. Lots of detailing when I get there. I hope they have an "oops, I'm an idiot" category.

Last edited by LT4CMG; 07-26-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Great, what have I done? I signed up for the NCCC judging and I'm coming from MI with an open trailer. Lots of detailing when I get there. I hope they have an "oops, I'm an idiot" category.
You can always change it. Just give them a call and tell them you wanted the fun field, not the concours judging. They're very good about changing stuff and won't hassle you. And you won't have to detail your car to death on the Fun Field either. Especially if you drive in rain, or it's raining at the show. The Fun Field is just "put up your tent and relax". Get there plenty early, wipe it down with some detail spray while it's still cool in the morning, and sit back and relax. No worries.
But yeah, there's plenty of time. Give them a call. And if there's a difference in price, they'll refund you the difference.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
Aug 23-26, 2018 - Corvettes at Carlisle

Hope this helps! Sorry you can't make it this year, we'll miss you. Not to worry, we'll post plenty of pictures, videos and social media posts!

Cheers,

Lance
Booked my room for next year last night, can't wait till next year. I told my daughter that I couldn't make it to her wedding because of Corvettes at Carlisle ,she didn't laugh. I guess I'll see you in 2018, can't wait .
Old 07-26-2017, 08:37 AM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Are you talking about the special NCCC Concours judged show? Or just the celebrity pic judging on the Fun Field?

Classes for the NCCC show are listed here http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis...px?detailid=62

There are only 175 cars for that show. I've never done that, but I would imagine Friday and Saturday would be the judging days, with awards on Sunday. I don't know when they announce winners for this show. I do know that they're really really picky for this, like white glove picky. I'm sure someone will chime in here with more info.
Thanks for the reply, I signed up for the NCCC Judged,I was going to enter the (street & show) I live about 90 min away, I was going to drive back and forth rather than stay over, I guess another concern would be what day would it have to be "super clean"? Or would I be better off trying to find a hotel and leaving the car there?

Sounds like a good time!

Last edited by ZEEEE 06; 07-26-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZEEEE 06
Thanks for the reply, I signed up for the NCCC Judged,I was going to enter the (street & show) I live about 90 min away, I was going to drive back and forth rather than stay over, I guess another concern would be what day would it have to be "super clean"? Or would I be better off trying to find a hotel and leaving the car there?

Sounds like a good time!
I'd say it just depends on which class you enter your car. If you enter the Wash and Show class, then you're probably good to drive it and clean it each day. But if you're entering the concours class, then be prepared with q tips and eye droppers and leave it there covered overnight.

Some of the most pristine Vettes will be up on the hill for that show. As for a hotel, only the "roach" motels will be left close by now. You'll be looking at Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg, or Chambersburg probably for a hotel.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Thanks USA1 427. Although I initially thought it was the celebrity judging, I'll put my detailing skills to the test. We'll see, maybe I'll do a decent job. If not, no big deal, I spent the weekend with a clean vette meeting other vette enthusiasts. Win win.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:00 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Thanks USA1 427. Although I initially thought it was the celebrity judging, I'll put my detailing skills to the test. We'll see, maybe I'll do a decent job. If not, no big deal, I spent the weekend with a clean vette meeting other vette enthusiasts. Win win.
Like I said, there are different classes. The Concours class will be the class where every screw will be checked, and points taken for a blade of grass on your wheel wells. Wash and show will not be judged quite so extensively. Whatever you choose, just go and have a good time. Be sure to bring a tent and chairs because there's no shade or places to sit other than the grandstand. Have a great time.
ZEEEE 06 (07-26-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD