where are the pictures of the bikini contest
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM
RaceNH
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Back from Carlisle

Got back from our first ever trip to Corvette's @ Carlisle and must say we had a blast. Already bought our tickets for next year and met some great people. The dinner Friday night was a blast with all the L88 cars over there. I think our favorite thing was doing the parade. I couldn't believe all the people that came out to it. A big thank you to Lance and Jodi and there entire crew that made our entire weekend a memorable one. Here are just a few of pics from the weekend.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

This was my 5th year in a row attending Corvettes at Carlisle. I love coming to this show. Please consider my opinion of CaC to be 90% positive / 10% constructive criticism.

My favorite thing that has changed over the last 5 years: The number of seminars by Paul Koerner and Brittany George. Not only do they now have their own “Corvette Mechanic” tent, but the number of seminars and variety of topics is well done. They somehow keep it fresh each year.

My least favorite thing that has changed over the last 5 years: The consistent deterioration of Manufacturer’s Midway. Off the top of my head, here are vendors that have disappeared in the last 5 years:
1) East Coast Supercharging used to have a full tent in Installation Alley. They did simple installs like cold air intakes and spoilers. They had a dyno for dyno tunes. Now ECS only brings one guy who will do tunes after header installs.
2) One year you could register to do dyno runs and get your performance print outs. I haven’t seen this is in a while.
3) Mid America Motorworks used to bring merchandise and do installs of accessories and interior parts. Now Mid America only takes catalog orders and registrations for their Fun Fest event.
4) West Coast Corvettes used to have a big display of accessories (and even wheels) for sale. This year, WCC didn’t show up.
5) GM Parts Warehouse (Gene Culley) used to have a large selection of genuine GM parts; anything from brake pads to under-hood liners. Gene’s business has changed names, but he doesn’t come anymore. I did not notice any other vendors selling new genuine GM parts at the show.
6) The UAW used to have a display tent where you could race remote controlled cars. I did not see the UAW this year.
7) In 2013, there was a free shuttle to the Expo Center where GM had about a dozen different new cars (including Corvette and Camaro) available for test driving around the Expo center parking lot. They had free t-shirts and ice cream sandwiches. This has not happened since 2013.
8) A&A Auto now has a monopoly on selling and installing exhausts at the show. There is no competition on price so A&A is charging more at the show than it costs to have a system shipped to your home from other vendors. The “free” install is a misnomer. Bring back the days from 6+ years ago when people on this forum would rave about getting great deals on exhausts at the show.

I am unable to recall any vendors that are new that have replaced some of these that have disappeared from the show. Please address this consistent year-to-year decline in vendors and installations. Having more vendors at the show should be a win-win-win for Carlisle Events, the vendors and the show attendees.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Blame the state of PA. The new tax laws have killed vendors at every show in PA, not just Carlisle. Not saying they would want to, but maybe Carlisle Events could charge the vendors less so more would come. Even the swap meet had empty spots this year, and areas that used to be for the swap meet are now for Chip's Circle and reserved parking. It definitely is getting smaller in terms of vendors, but there is no shortage of attendees.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:22 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Blame the state of PA. The new tax laws have killed vendors at every show in PA, not just Carlisle. Not saying they would want to, but maybe Carlisle Events could charge the vendors less so more would come. Even the swap meet had empty spots this year, and areas that used to be for the swap meet are now for Chip's Circle and reserved parking. It definitely is getting smaller in terms of vendors, but there is no shortage of attendees.
The number of vendors has been dwindling for years thanks to the PA tax, as have the number of early generation cars/owners (C1, C2, C3). Shame. Sad to hear about the lack food quality as well. After 35 years of attending, I think I'm done.

Last edited by vetdude; 08-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
WestCoastCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Witmer
This was my 5th year in a row attending Corvettes at Carlisle. I love coming to this show. Please consider my opinion of CaC to be 90% positive / 10% constructive criticism.

My favorite thing that has changed over the last 5 years: The number of seminars by Paul Koerner and Brittany George. Not only do they now have their own “Corvette Mechanic” tent, but the number of seminars and variety of topics is well done. They somehow keep it fresh each year.

My least favorite thing that has changed over the last 5 years: The consistent deterioration of Manufacturer’s Midway. Off the top of my head, here are vendors that have disappeared in the last 5 years:
1) East Coast Supercharging used to have a full tent in Installation Alley. They did simple installs like cold air intakes and spoilers. They had a dyno for dyno tunes. Now ECS only brings one guy who will do tunes after header installs.
2) One year you could register to do dyno runs and get your performance print outs. I haven’t seen this is in a while.
3) Mid America Motorworks used to bring merchandise and do installs of accessories and interior parts. Now Mid America only takes catalog orders and registrations for their Fun Fest event.
4) West Coast Corvettes used to have a big display of accessories (and even wheels) for sale. This year, WCC didn’t show up.
5) GM Parts Warehouse (Gene Culley) used to have a large selection of genuine GM parts; anything from brake pads to under-hood liners. Gene’s business has changed names, but he doesn’t come anymore. I did not notice any other vendors selling new genuine GM parts at the show.
6) The UAW used to have a display tent where you could race remote controlled cars. I did not see the UAW this year.
7) In 2013, there was a free shuttle to the Expo Center where GM had about a dozen different new cars (including Corvette and Camaro) available for test driving around the Expo center parking lot. They had free t-shirts and ice cream sandwiches. This has not happened since 2013.
8) A&A Auto now has a monopoly on selling and installing exhausts at the show. There is no competition on price so A&A is charging more at the show than it costs to have a system shipped to your home from other vendors. The “free” install is a misnomer. Bring back the days from 6+ years ago when people on this forum would rave about getting great deals on exhausts at the show.

I am unable to recall any vendors that are new that have replaced some of these that have disappeared from the show. Please address this consistent year-to-year decline in vendors and installations. Having more vendors at the show should be a win-win-win for Carlisle Events, the vendors and the show attendees.
I am sorry but due to a business decision we chose not to come this year. The show is a great show and we love coming. We will try to be back next year.

Your #1 Resource For Corvette Parts and Corvette Accessories

1748 W Business Center Dr.
Orange, CA 92867
Phone:714.630.6396 / 888.737.8388

Shop By Model:
C8 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C7 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C6 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C5 Corvette Parts & Accessories

Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

It was my first time there, so I had no previous experience to compare to, but both my wife and I thought it was a wonderful 3 days. As for the food, the show field folks did a great job providing breakfast and lunch. A big thanks to all that put in so much work and effort. And it was an absolute honor to win the Concours judging event. I've only had a Corvette for about a year, but the Corvette family is one of the best families to be a part of.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:00 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WestCoastCorvette
I am sorry but due to a business decision we chose not to come this year. The show is a great show and we love coming. We will try to be back next year.
That would be great. Right now, RPI is the only vendor selling a little bit of everything Corvette. And most of what they are selling (not all) was geared for C7 owners. I'm not one. Your kind of business is what's needed there. A large company with lots of products to sell, and NOT from a catalog!
Hope to see you next year.
The following users liked this post:
WestCoastCorvette (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:52 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
The number of vendors has been dwindling for years thanks to the PA tax, as have the number of early generation cars/owners (C1, C2, C3). Shame. Sad to hear about the lack food quality as well. After 35 years of attending, I think I'm done.
Whoever complained about the food quality must not have eaten at the chicken place at the back of the grand stand. Absolutely outstanding chicken!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Brewmeistergi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone comment on the weather. After roasting or drowning for the past 30 years, I was excited for what seemed like a comfortable weekend weather forecast. We've frequently left at 1pm to get to the hotel swimming pool to keep from melting. Had to cancel at the last minute due to the death of the family patriarch so we missed the show this year. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:34 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

The weather was great on Friday. I finally started getting a little hot after walking around for 6+ hours, but a rest in the shade fixed that.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 PM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmeistergi
Could someone comment on the weather.
I have been attending for close to 30 years ('84 my first year and haven't missed many since!) and I think the weather this weekend was the best I could recall!
76/77 degrees with moderate humidity and an light breeze! I remember all of those years with the 90+ humid days, too.
Or like a couple of years ago when it rained off and on, Thursday through Saturday, only to see clear sunny skies as we were packing the car Sunday morning to head home!

As to the food - over the years, I've sampled just about everything in the food court and can't say I've ever been disappointed!

geo on cape cod
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM
pewter-FRC
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
i think very little of it is the PA tax thing. Im a weekend warrior swap meet vendor that works out of a pickup truck.

Lets begin with the 4 spots i purchase every year at $105. Each.
Now lets add in 4 nights in a hotel at $130. A night.

Then theres $120. In gas and $80. In tolls.

So ive spent $1000. Before even selling one item to the guys building $30k plus cars that dont want to spend $20. For a part i have.

How about a break on the cost of spaces from carlisle? That will never happen. They just take the extra 2 rows that used to be for the swapmeet and charge you suckers way more than the $105. For reserved parking.

Your vendors are not top priority to carlisle anymore. We havent been for awhile. Its really sad. There was a time not so long ago that you couldn't get vendor spaces. Now 1/4 of it is for parking. But, hey as long ong as carlisle isn't losing any money, its all good. Its slowly turning into a car show only with $300. Parking spaces.

life is good for some. But not the people who got you there

quick question. Did the state pay $105. For their space? And do they have to file a return?

rant over

Last edited by pewter-FRC; 08-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Hey all....come check out my vlog on Corvettes at Carlisle. Please like the vid and subscribe to the channel if you so desire! Hopefully some of you will see your ride in this. Had an awesome time for my first and will definitely not be my last. Will be there every year! Here's my vlog!

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 08-28-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

First off, thank you for your service D. God bless you for that.
Second, great video. Looking forward to seeing more next year. Nicely done sir.
D'ZR1 Messiah (09-13-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Steven Haffley
Advanced

I went to this place for the first time and took a lot of pictures, I have the parade on video I just have to fix the video files. The only issue I had there was with the vendors, I was harassed by a vendor there because I was smoking a vapor cigarette. The vendor, whoever it was, yelled out at the top of his lungs in front of everyone "Are you smoking marijuana" Had my wife not of been with me, I probably would of swung at him. He did it just to be an ***, probably the only car show I was at where they allow vendors to harass potential customers.

Then you also have the vendors that drive McLaren's to the Corvette show, park them with the rest of the Corvette's in the infield, and then let their friends upload videos that bash Corvettes "McLaren stops Corvette show." So with vendors like these, I'm not sure why anyone would want more.

If you watch the video when they keep mentioning his car being the mid engine mount corvette, he is actually bashing Corvette owners because someone thought his mclaren was the new corvette. I don't' know about you, but I sure as hell don't' want to buy anything from a vendor that bashes people that own the same car I do, nor would I want to buy parts from him. I'll keep ordering my parts online, not off people who hate Corvettes at a Corvette show.

Last edited by Steven Haffley; 08-28-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Haffley
............. I don't' know about you, but I sure as hell don't' want to buy anything from a vendor that bashes people that own the same car I do, nor would I want to buy parts from him. I'll keep ordering my parts online, not off people who hate Corvettes at a Corvette show.
I actually thought it was pleasant not having as many vendors there. It seemed to be a lot easier to get around this year without bumping into throngs of people -- almost seemed that overall attendence was down. Planming to go back next yeat.

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Steven Haffley
Advanced

Originally Posted by hdrider1
I actually thought it was pleasant not having as many vendors there. It seemed to be a lot easier to get around this year without bumping into throngs of people -- almost seemed that overall attendence was down. Planming to go back next yeat.
I am with you on this I'm going there to look at Corvettes, many people go there to buy parts but from what I saw most of the stuff was overpriced. I have a c4 anyways, and what people say is true, not many C4 friendly vendors there.

I do think the places where you can get your exhaust installed for free if you just buy the parts is a good idea though, I liked that.

The parade was my favorite part, so many Corvettes it took them over 40 minutes to drive past.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Haffley
I am with you on this I'm going there to look at Corvettes, many people go there to buy parts but from what I saw most of the stuff was overpriced. I have a c4 anyways, and what people say is true, not many C4 friendly vendors there.

I do think the places where you can get your exhaust installed for free if you just buy the parts is a good idea though, I liked that.

The parade was my favorite part, so many Corvettes it took them over 40 minutes to drive past.

Well if you check on those prices, no one was getting their exhaust installed for free.

Shakey
Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pewter-FRC
i think very little of it is the PA tax thing. Im a weekend warrior swap meet vendor that works out of a pickup truck.

Lets begin with the 4 spots i purchase every year at $105. Each.
Now lets add in 4 nights in a hotel at $130. A night.

Then theres $120. In gas and $80. In tolls.

So ive spent $1000. Before even selling one item to the guys building $30k plus cars that dont want to spend $20. For a part i have.

How about a break on the cost of spaces from carlisle? That will never happen. They just take the extra 2 rows that used to be for the swapmeet and charge you suckers way more than the $105. For reserved parking.

Your vendors are not top priority to carlisle anymore. We havent been for awhile. Its really sad. There was a time not so long ago that you couldn't get vendor spaces. Now 1/4 of it is for parking. But, hey as long ong as carlisle isn't losing any money, its all good. Its slowly turning into a car show only with $300. Parking spaces.

life is good for some. But not the people who got you there

quick question. Did the state pay $105. For their space? And do they have to file a return?

rant over
What exactly do you want? Carlisle to give you the spaces for free? Comp your turnpike toll? Provide you with accommodations? Try opening a real store and see how fast expenses add up. Would you then ask the landlord to not charge you rent on the days you aren't open? Small vendors are hurting because of the internet, not Carlisle events. Like you said, you're out $1000 before you make a sale. That means you need to make $1000 more than the guy sitting at home selling on ebay just to be even. But unlike the guy on ebay, you have the potential for thousands and thousands of Corvette enthusiasts to see you and make a personal connection.
USA1 427 (08-30-2017)

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD