Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:25 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by USA1 427
I don't see that ever happening. It would drive too many away because they wouldn't be able to allow the reserved spot people to leave their stuff and not others, and the reserved spot people shouldn't have to remove their stuff. I for one won't be taking my stuff down every night and repack my car. And others wont' be doing it either. They'd lose one heck of a lot of people. I would stop going for sure. All those people not going..............a loss for Carlisle Events, a loss for the town in the form of income at restaurants and a loss to the hotels. And if they make it for reserved parking patrons only, are you (not you personally) willing to spend the $150 instead of the $75 so you can get a spot? Just a bunch of crybabies who don't want to sacrifice a night's sleep to get there early enough for a prime spot. Or get a hotel room. Yeah, won't happen.

That's just my opinion, but some people bring trailers for their stuff, and they KNOW to get there early.
I agree. The whiners want to roll in at 9:30 and find prime spots. Stop crying you people and get there by by 7 am.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 384 Posts

Well even if I got there by 6am many spots would be "taken" from the night before, so I'll whine some more but thanks for the advice

And yes, not only am I willing to pay for a reserved spot, but I did.

I've been going for over 30 years and probably spent $20-30,000 over that time so to call me cheap is a load of crap.

So, it ain't about the money to me, it's about those who hold a space for the duration. Apparently people don't care is someone parks 20 feet from them, for free, as long as they get there 3 days earlier.

Suckers are born every day.

Last edited by ladder13; 09-05-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:41 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
That would be what I would do were I in charge, except for those who paid for reserved spots.

Let the folks who put up a tent put it up every day at 7am, and see if they get the same spot.

Let me cry a bit more if allowed. How were all those vans and pickup trucks allowed into Gate 3? They weren't vendors, as I saw them paying at the gate while holding up the line.
Some of them were vendors on the Midway. Corvette America had at least 4 vehicles parked at their tent. I was parked directly across from them and nearly got my front end hit a half dozen times. Moved my reserved spot farther up for next year because of it.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

A couple of guys who I know well arrived on the field later one day at this year's Carlisle event. There were a couple of chairs "holding" someone's spot but no one was around. 10:00 came and went so these two guys just moved the chairs away and parked their Corvettes there. The people eventually showed up and started a scene about "their" spot. The guys showed them the rule about no chairs, etc., and the people moved somewhere else. Lesson learned for them, I would guess.

My husband and I have had pretty much the same spot we have had for 19 years. BUT...we are on the field at 5:30 EVERY day! Our canopy is lowered with the top removed every night. We do not use our chairs to block our space. When we get there early in the morning, we put the canopy up. That's it! Get there early in the morning! People arriving later can expect that a lot of spaces have already been filled. I guess you have to make a choice.

Elaine
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Exactly right Elaine. Our buddy couldn't come until Saturday and just for the day, and he was there by 7 and got a spot on the Fun Field right next to the Corvette America tent, and directly across from our reserved spot. Excellent spot. And he had no trouble whatsoever.

The key for Fun Field parking is to GET THERE EARLY and not at 10 a.m.
The following users liked this post:
RaceNH (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Exactly right Elaine. Our buddy couldn't come until Saturday and just for the day, and he was there by 7 and got a spot on the Fun Field right next to the Corvette America tent, and directly across from our reserved spot. Excellent spot. And he had no trouble whatsoever.

The key for Fun Field parking is to GET THERE EARLY and not at 10 a.m.
I think just about everyone would agree with you on this point, but I think what people are complaining about is the spot saving. If you get there early, you can park wherever you want. But if you get there Wednesday, you can pick whatever spot you want and set up your stuff. And as long as you are there by 10, you have your prime spot. Why is it fair that someone who left their chairs and tent over night can show up at 10, but someone who didn't can't?

It might not be next year, but I fully expect Carlisle to start telling people to take their chairs and canopies home at night (unless you paid for a reserved spot obviously). That affects such a small amount of people I don't see that being an issue. Sure people will grumble and complain (because that's what we do these days when things don't go our way), but they'll still show up. And like you said, if you're there by 7, it doesn't matter if you have a "saved" spot or not. I think a good compromise could be, leave your stuff, but you have to be at your spot by 7 or 8.
The following 2 users liked this post by tdogg21:
Czarvette (09-15-2017), ladder13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

I like parking on the hill by the Canadians.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

A canopy, chair or garbage can, what's the difference? Someone see's either and are they going to get in a fight? No, they leave cause someone has "marked their spot".

I'd like to hear from Lance on this matter.

And vendors don't show up on Sat morning and pay to get in. The event starts on Thurs.

Last edited by ladder13; 09-06-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Maybe they'll just make the whole lower field reserved parking and everyone who wants to park there pay the premium price. All others park on the hill. That's the sort of thing that usually happens because there are those who make a point of complaining and demanding action, rather than just letting things go.
And like I said (so did Lance) after 10, all parking places are open even if there's a canopy or chair there unless you have a reserved spot.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

When I say we get there early, I mean EARLY!!

Elaine

Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Personally, I think the complainers are far fewer than those who come early and put up a canopy. I know some who come for only one day and have no trouble finding an open spot. I think that having those with a canopy take down and set up every day is unrealistic. They are the real Corvettes at Carlisle fans and supporters. I think it will be easier to encourage people to get there EARLY rather than 10 or 11 a.m. If they don't want to do that, then they should keep quiet.

If the complainers don't want to go to Carlisle, so be it. They will surely be in the minority.

Just my thoughts...

Elaine
The following 3 users liked this post by GS Diva:
jimmymack (09-26-2017), RaceNH (09-08-2017), USA1 427 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

No fan or supporter here , only been going for 30 something years.

Real fans and supporters get there on Wed, throw up a canopy and don't move for the duration? OK, whatever.

And if someone and their friends gets there at 4 am and parks in front of and all around your canopy, then what?

Last edited by ladder13; 09-07-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM
rat123
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I have been to carlisle 2 years in a row. Great time.1st year we had a reserved spot. This year we didn't . I agree people that don't reserve a spot should remove tents etc. Thats why they have reserved spots. We got there at 8.30am on saturday and had no problems getting a spot.
It was a great time meeting new people and we had a great time.
Keep up the great work
ladder13 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

No fan or supporter here , only been going for 30 something years.

Real fans and supporters get there on Wed, throw up a canopy and don't move for the duration? OK, whatever.

And if someone and their friends gets there at 4 am and parks in front of and all around your canopy, then what?

I did see this happen on Saturday this year, at about 7 am, guy was worried and asking anyone if the new who's cars they were, I told him to move the canopy, you might not see them until the afternoon.

Don't know the result, I was just walking by.
ladder13 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Lance should send his crew out at 3am and remove all the canopies, chairs, signs, trash cans, anything "reserving" a spot.

I even saw a sign last year near the reserved parking saying something to the effect " this is Kevin's space". Thankfully it wasn't there for long. The gall of some people.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:46 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67's

I did see this happen on Saturday this year, at about 7 am, guy was worried and asking anyone if the new who's cars they were, I told him to move the canopy, you might not see them until the afternoon.

Don't know the result, I was just walking by.
How dare another attendee park in "his spot"

Last edited by ladder13; 09-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

20 years of attending...the last two in reserved area. It is a first come basis...to be first you have to arrive early. I have never had a problem finding a fun field spot in the lower area. I do arrive at 7 or before. As stated, there is not saving spots, if the space is empty go for it. If a problem arises, contact a Carlisle worker. Simple. Most people who leave their canopy frame there over night arrive very early so there is not problem there. The reserved area is very small and will probably stay that way. I think if they ever do say remove everything when you leave those same people will be there early enough to get their spots the next day. This year I saw quite a few open parking spots in the lower field during the days. Some people seem to want the same area and get there before the moon sets..if thats what they want to do God Bless them....There is no perfect system, I think the first come first serve works good..just my 2 cents

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

First off, thank you for your service D. God bless you for that.
Second, great video. Looking forward to seeing more next year. Nicely done sir.
Thank you very much! I definitely appreciate the kind words! Will definitely be going back next year!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

A canopy, chair or garbage can, what's the difference? Someone see's either and are they going to get in a fight? No, they leave cause someone has "marked their spot".

I'd like to hear from Lance on this matter.

And vendors don't show up on Sat morning and pay to get in. The event starts on Thurs.
It's simple... First come, first serve. Excluding the reserved spots (clubs & VIP/Chip's Circle). The Clubs have until 10am to fill their space, if they don't everything is open game. We ask everyone to take their tents down each evening and not caution tape or claim space. We do our best each evening to take down all the caution tape that goes up each evening.

We are always open to ideas / suggestions on how to improve. After all this event is for YOU! We love hosting this party each year and it's meant to be a fun filled experience. Any input you have is always greatly appreciated, so share your ideas. Feel free emailing me directly or posting it here: lancem@carlisleevents.com.

Life is good,

Lance
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Lance some of my questions or concerns is is there a way to limit or stop vehicle traffic through the aisle doing show times at all events? Unless there is a emergency i feel there is no need for vehicles going down the aisles. Also what is the policy on pets.

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 24-27, 2017 - OFFICIAL THREAD