August 23-26, 2018 - CORVETTES AT CARLISLE official thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by nhisfan
I inquired about this, as well. When I told the girl in the Guest Services building that I'd like to take my sign, but I didn't want to screw the guy behind me.
She said "you can't take the signs, they're Carlisle property!" I even offered to pay for an extra sign, but she said she didn't know how that was possible.

Like you said, $150 dollars for a parking place - shouldn't we at least be entitled to our own crappy cardboard sign???

Otherwise, a fantastic weekend - I believe this was roughly my 30th trip - 8 hours from Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
I've only missed a few due to a wedding or 2 and a couple of National Guard deployments!

geo
Guy next to us had a long knife with him and he knew how to split the sign so we actually got to take our half, and the guy behind him took his flimsy half too. We left the metal. But the guy next to me took the whole sign (not the metal) which pissed off the guy behind him, because he wanted his half. For that amount of money (DOUBLE fun field cost) having a 10" X 18" piece of plastic with our name on it to take home isn't going to break their bank. Leave the metal behind. I hang mine on my garage rafters. It's not big issue, but it's just something to take home as a souvenir.
Little by little, more and more is disappearing from the show and taking away from its enjoyment. No car giveaway, no celebrities except the same people year after year after year, fewer quality vendors (West Coast Corvette, Mid America, Magnaflow), even the swap meet was MUCH smaller this year. We're paying more and getting less.

Last edited by USA1 427; 08-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nhisfan (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 12:09 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's my understanding that you can't take the frame that holds the sign.
However you and your neighbor can figure out who takes the sign.

As far as the cost they sell all reserved spots and the Fun Field stays nearly full every year.
If we were buying more from the vendors I guess they would be coming back every year.
Mostly vendors come to make money (there and throughout the year). Its a big expense for them too.

We still have a great time getting together and meeting new Corvette friends every year.

Last edited by CTYANK2; 08-27-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 PM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
We're paying more and getting less.
And don't even get me started on the GD Hotel!

When I was checking in, I noticed that the rate had gone up another $20 just since I called to confirm 3 weeks ago!!!
The girl behind the desk just smiled and said "welcome to car show weekend rates"!!! Grrrrr...

I've been staying in the same place for over 20 years and really like the location, but it may be time to start looking at other options...

Geo

Last edited by nhisfan; 08-27-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

The vendors I looked at had crazy prices. For example, my 4 year old wanted a toy car in the worst way. I would have bought him something but $45 for a diecast car or $5 for a matchbox car?? Why would I do that when I can go to Target on the way home and get him the exact same thing for $15 and $1 respectively? We live in a different world than we did 10-20 years ago and the vendors need to figure out how to adapt. I would have been happy to stock up on car care stuff or buy some accessory I don't really need. But when I can just go home and order it and have it delivered for less, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

When I was checking in, I noticed that the rate had gone up another $20 just since I called to confirm 3 weeks ago!!!
The girl behind the desk just smiled and said "welcome to car show weekend rates"!!! Grrrrr...

I've been staying in the same place for over 20 years and really like the location, but it may be time to start looking at other options...

Geo
If you had a printout with you of the rates and fine print, they have to honor that rate. Period. I tried to book our hotel for next year when we checked out, but the girl said "I don't have that information yet. Call back in 3 days". So when I got home, I went online through their website and booked for next year at a lower cost. If they give me any flak about it, then screw them. I have the print out. But just to be on the safe side, I also have a reservation at a second hotel with their "car show" rates. $189 a night. The hotels are screwing us all over big time, but it is what it is. And I'd rather pay more for a nicer closer hotel than have to fight traffic on 11 or 81.

As for the vendors, several years ago Pennsylvania changed the laws about collecting taxes from companies at these events and it really cut into their profits to the point where it wasn't worth their while to come any more. It really sucks, but that's the reality of it. And there aren't that many car related vendors in PA who sell enough volume to cover what they have to pay to sell at Carlisle and pay taxes and make any kind of profit. So the list of GOOD vendors gets smaller every year. It's not that they don't sell, it's what they're paying OUT that keeps them away.

Last edited by USA1 427; 08-27-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

I have my reserved spot for next year, but it may be my last. I’ve been at Carlisle since 1984 and only missed two or three years since.
Long gone is the car giveaway on Sun, that kept crowds around until at least 3pm. The car auction was another draw for me, now long gone. The Chevy test drives with free ice cream, long gone.
Celebrities? Mario Andretti, gone.
Vendors? Seeing less and less all the time.
If you live nearby, no big deal, but people drive 4-10 hrs to get there.

I noticed smaller crowds on Saturday. People catching on?

Last edited by ladder13; 08-27-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:33 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Geo
Same happened to me at the Holiday Inn Express, but was only $10 per night,
Old 08-28-2018, 12:22 PM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Web site

Does Carlisle Events still have a web site? I can't find it, they used too have tons of pictures on it.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Geo
We never had them try a rate change on us. We got our room many months in advance, guaranteed with a credit card. Had it in writing and it was fine at the check in desk, they had the same info we did.. Used the same motel for 12 years out of our 15 year trips. Small rooms but were were only showering, sleeping there and at the fairgrounds or restaurants the rest of the time. It had extra wide parking spots which as a typical Vette owner I really liked!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PHILLIE PHANATIC
Does Carlisle Events still have a web site? I can't find it, they used too have tons of pictures on it.
www.carlisleevents.com
Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 PM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Good show this year, as always. I can't remember better weather in recent years, either. 

Lance, if you're still reading, I do keep running into one problem, which has nothing to do with the way you run your show, but I was hoping maybe you and your team would consider helping to resolve it: people "saving" unreserved funfield spaces.  

Friday I parked in a spot, only to be told by an arrogant gentleman that "someone was parking there." I informed him that this was not a reserved area, and then was lectured about how "common courtesy" was that I shouldn't be parking where this guy parked yesterday, that all their friends were in the same place, etc. He then told me he was going to "get Lance down here," to which I said I'd be happy to provide my phone number should you decide I was in the wrong. That got him angrier. I stayed in the spot regardless. 

I then parked in an area Saturday that a particular club who I won't name had "staked out" for themselves, complete with political campaign style signs with their name on them blocking the empty parking spots. They must have had 20 spots blocked. Again, I ended up in a discussion with a lady who claimed there was an "unwritten rule" that if a club was there, I should go somewhere else. I stayed in that spot as well. 

I've got a pretty thick skin, so I'll stand up to this nonsense, but I can't help but believe a lot of other showgoers will not, and will go somewhere else to get away from these people. I think this is probably affecting their enjoyment of the show, so it would be great if you'd consider some ideas to help with this problem. I'm a solutions guy, so I respectfully offer the following ideas as possible starting points: 
Patrols before 10am breaking up saved spot attempts. 
"Parking people" on duty before 10am, like at a ballgame or something. 
No overnight parking. 
No canopies, chairs, etc. left overnight. Subject to confiscation. 
A big sign at the gate: "All spots first come, first served. No reserving spaces." 
A statement with your registration letter reinforcing that there is no saving spaces. 
A designated spot in a non prime area, up on the hill or somewhere, where spaces may be saved until 10am for clubs, groups, etc. This could be shaded a certain color on the map. 
Best regards, and thanks again for a great show.
The following 2 users liked this post by RyanR0101:
ladder13 (08-28-2018), USA1 427 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:39 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR0101
Good show this year, as always. I can't remember better weather in recent years, either. 

Lance, if you're still reading, I do keep running into one problem, which has nothing to do with the way you run your show, but I was hoping maybe you and your team would consider helping to resolve it: people "saving" unreserved funfield spaces.  

Friday I parked in a spot, only to be told by an arrogant gentleman that "someone was parking there." I informed him that this was not a reserved area, and then was lectured about how "common courtesy" was that I shouldn't be parking where this guy parked yesterday, that all their friends were in the same place, etc. He then told me he was going to "get Lance down here," to which I said I'd be happy to provide my phone number should you decide I was in the wrong. That got him angrier. I stayed in the spot regardless. 

I then parked in an area Saturday that a particular club who I won't name had "staked out" for themselves, complete with political campaign style signs with their name on them blocking the empty parking spots. They must have had 20 spots blocked. Again, I ended up in a discussion with a lady who claimed there was an "unwritten rule" that if a club was there, I should go somewhere else. I stayed in that spot as well. 

I've got a pretty thick skin, so I'll stand up to this nonsense, but I can't help but believe a lot of other showgoers will not, and will go somewhere else to get away from these people. I think this is probably affecting their enjoyment of the show, so it would be great if you'd consider some ideas to help with this problem. I'm a solutions guy, so I respectfully offer the following ideas as possible starting points: 
No overnight parking. 
A big sign at the gate: "All spots first come, first served. No reserving spaces." 
A statement with your registration letter reinforcing that there is no saving spaces. 
A designated spot in a non prime area, up on the hill or somewhere, where spaces may be saved until 10am for clubs, groups, etc. This could be shaded a certain color on the map. 
I got trashed here for posting this same issue. Seems to be fine with folks.

I would however, like to know how some clubs get to erect huge tents on the fun field. It seems to be happening more and more. In effect, reserved spots?

This reserving of non reserved spots($150 spots) is ridiculous......telling someone the spot is for your friend.....feeling entitled much?

Last edited by ladder13; 08-28-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Was there on Thursday and saw a lady and her husband park their car, pull 6 stakes out of their trunk, put them up on the corners of 5 spaces, then run red tape across, and two American flags. They were promptly (within an hour or two tops) to remove it. They did, but left the tape up in front of their car. Your experience is part of the reason we go with reserved parking over Fun Field. We did Fun Field every year until 2015, then we did Chip's Circle, and now reserved. It's just easier. I must have had a dozen people ask me how to get a reserved spot. So I'm sure that if you had one this year and don't re-reserve it by Sept. 10 (cut off date) you won't be getting one next year. Either that, or there will be even MORE reserved spaces next year. Was 4 rows last year, 6 rows this year, but the rows didn't go the whole length of the aisle.

But I still want MY OWN SIGN next year again!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:27 PM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the interior of our room at the Quality Inn in Carlisle. The manager told me that they were planning on fixing that "today or tomorrow". It was almost impossible to breath in the room due to the mildew smell. On Saturday morning I tried to buy tickets to the show on line (they were listed at $15). I couldn't get that accomplished on my phone. I asked to use the business center which they advertise but that "hadn't been set up yet". They did offer to let me use the office computer but I declined. 2nd bad hotel experience in Carlisle. I'll go back to staying in Harrisburg and deal with the drive.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Its really fairly simple....
If you want to park together, you have to pull in together.
Meet at a pre determined spot and everyone goes in at the same time.. No biggie..
Been doing that for years when the NE forum gang, (Mr Mojo, Mike 69, etc) would always go in a group!

I too feel that they need to have parking staff, like at concerts or a ball game, where you are directed to the next open row or area to park.
This will avoid lots of confrontations etc., and probably encourage groups to enter together at the same time.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Thats why we are on the grounds before 7, I did see alot of chairs on Sat reserving spots
Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 4rensic22

Here's the interior of our room at the Quality Inn in Carlisle. The manager told me that they were planning on fixing that "today or tomorrow". It was almost impossible to breath in the room due to the mildew smell. On Saturday morning I tried to buy tickets to the show on line (they were listed at $15). I couldn't get that accomplished on my phone. I asked to use the business center which they advertise but that "hadn't been set up yet". They did offer to let me use the office computer but I declined. 2nd bad hotel experience in Carlisle. I'll go back to staying in Harrisburg and deal with the drive.
We spent Wednesday night at the Sleep Inn Carlisle on Garland St. The room was clean and roomy and QUIET! The elevator and hallway carpets need cleaned to say the least, or even replaced, but the rooms was fine. They had a paper there at the desk for next year's event for $189 a night. And it's a straight shot (5 minutes tops) from the fairgrounds to the hotel, a Cracker Barrel and a Chili's next to it. Give them a call and see if you can reserve a room for next year at that rate. Free breakfast was decent, although the room is very small. But the food was good.
4rensic22 (08-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To August 23-26, 2018 - CORVETTES AT CARLISLE official thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR0101

I'm a solutions guy, so I respectfully offer the following ideas as possible starting points: 

No overnight parking. 
Actually Ryan, I think the weather was marginally better last year, but I'll still take it over the usual 90 degrees and humidity you can cut with a knife!

I'm not sure about the overnight parking, but I'm pretty sure the 'first come first served', no staking out spots with chairs and canopies (with possible confiscation),
and no saving spots is addressed in the letter that comes with the window sticker.

Bottom line is, if you have a group that wants to park together, arrive together.
You want a good parking spot, don't come rolling in at 10 and be shocked that the people that got out of bed early and arrived at 7 have your spot.

After a minor 'dust up' over a spot myself last year, I bit the bullet and purchased a reserved spot for this year. The extra $75 is a bargain if it keeps my blood pressure in check!

When things you do for "fun" get to be a hassle, it's time to re-evaluate...

(PS - Lance - nearly everyone that springs for the $150 reserved parking spot wants to keep their sign! No more 2 sided signs, please...)

Geo

Last edited by nhisfan; 08-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.
USA1 427 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Actually Ryan, I think the weather was marginally better last year, but I'll still take it over the usual 90 degrees and humidity you can cut with a knife!

I'm not sure about the overnight parking, but I'm pretty sure the 'first come first served', no staking out spots with chairs and canopies (with possible confiscation),
and no saving spots is addressed in the letter that comes with the window sticker.

Bottom line is, if you have a group that wants to park together, arrive together.
You want a good parking spot, don't come rolling in at 10 and be shocked that the people that got out of bed early and arrived at 7 have your spot.

After a minor 'dust up' over a spot myself last year, I bit the bullet and purchased a reserved spot for this year. The extra $75 is a bargain if it keeps my blood pressure in check!

When things you do for "fun" get to be a hassle, it's time to re-evaluate...

(PS - Lance - nearly everyone that springs for the $150 reserved parking spot wants to keep their sign! No more 2 sided signs, please...)

Geo
Yes, George, those are addressed in the letter that accompanies the registration sticker. You are so right about people come sauntering in at 10:00 or later who expect "their" spot to be there. Maybe those people should try getting on the field at 5:30-6:00 like we do! I realize that is way too early for most, but that's what we do to get a desired spot. There are always going to be complainers, no matter what.

Elaine
nhisfan (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:49 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

So right Elaine. I remember several years ago, there was good weather and we got there before 6 a.m. Friday morning and put up our tent and chairs and enjoyed the day. The guy next to us did the same. We left our tent there overnight and were back at the grounds by 6 a.m. on Saturday, parked with our canopy and enjoyed the day. But the guy next to us didn't come till after 10 and someone had parked in front of his tent. We weren't there when the other guy came, but he was gone when we came back. The original guy was so pissed off he went and found Lance and raised one heck of a stink. The Fun Field was parked full by this time. So what happened was that someone two cars up , who didn't have a tent, pulled his car out, let the original guy park in between the two rows of cars, just so he didn't have to take down his tent.
It happens. But a tent, or chairs, etc. won't save your spot unless you are there at the crack of dawn to reclaim it, and if someone does park in front of your tent, or where you were parked the day before, you don't have a leg to stand on to get them to move. They are allowed to park anywhere unless you have a reserved spot.

By the way.........if anyone is hoping to get a reserved spot next year, whatever spots are available will be open for reserving on Sept. 10.

Quick Reply: August 23-26, 2018 - CORVETTES AT CARLISLE official thread