Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

What do you do with a ticket in New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:02 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default What do you do with a ticket in New Jersey?

My son got a ticket this evening. None of us have EVER gotten a ticket for a moving violation so I don't know how to proceed. The kid is going back to college tomorrow, an 8 hour drive, so I don't know if a court appearance is required for a guilty plea, and what his options are for not pleading guilty. He was passing a doubleparked van that was right in front of a crosswalk. The police car was behind my son. Supposedly there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk, but my son didn't even see the pedestrian (the van would have blocked his vision). Noone was hit, or even a "close call" but he got ticketed for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. My son says the cop told him it was no points, but I looked it up and it appears to be 2 points.

We will call the police tomorrow to find out what our options are, but probably will have to hire a lawyer. Several pedestrians have been hit by cars in our town over the past few years, so of course there is a big public outcry and the police response is to give BS tickets.

So for you experienced New Jersey ticket receivers, what's the drill?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Don't just pay the ticket. In New Jersey, there is a way of sort of pleading "no contest." I forget the exact code section. But you go to court and meet with the prosecutor. The fine and court costs will be much higher than if you just paid the ticket. But you will get no points. You do not need a lawyer to do this.

Your son will have to be the one to go to court (although you should probably go with him). But you can get a continuance until he's home from college (Thanksgiving?).

I did this last year with my college-age son.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

If you plead guilty, you can usually mail it in, but as mentioned, go to court and talk with the prosecuter, lots of times if the cop doesn't show, the ticket is thrown out.

This happened to my buddy in Seaside, a cop tried to pull out in traffic, but he was on a side street and vision was blocked by a van parked illegally on the corner.

When he attempted to pull out, my buddy swerved to avoid hitting the cop who was now blocking half of our lane, so h ethen turned right instead of left and pulled us over for careless driving.

I went to court with my buddy and since the cop didn't show to prove otherwise that we were guilty, the judge threw it out.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The ticket should say if a court appearance is required, if not you can mail it in and pay the fine. If you plan on pleading not guilty then you need to contact the court. The ticket should have the instructions printed on it. Also you should be able to look the fine up on the Web once it is in the system.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Wife got a ticket and I done something unthinkable on this forum. I PAID IT...............
Old 08-24-2006, 05:56 PM
dabsplaza
Intermediate

If the ticket proves to be no points, just pay the fine and send it in unless a court appearance is required. If so pay the fine in court. If the ticket is 2 points you still may just want to pay the fine. The prosecuter may agree to reduce the charge, however, they always use the "unsafe driver" charge which is no points, however, it carries a fine plus a $250 sur-charge to the state. I have 2 youngs drivers and have been to court no less that 6 times.....
Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Crusher
I done something unthinkable on this forum. I gave my Wife a ticket...
Man you are tough!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:21 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Follow up. My son was able to easily postpone his court date to the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. He went back to school in Virginia last weekend. They told us at city hall they postpone all the college kids to that day. One day after the ticket we got 2 unsolicited letters (advertisements) from lawyers and within one week had eight letters!! His ticket is for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, which is 2 points. We could mail it in (pleading guilty) which would make sense because he will be at school with no car for a year, but we may do the pay up and no points thing anyway. I guess we have time to decide... until November 20-whatever.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes, plead not guilty and go to court. that will help getting it reduced to no points.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
mydreamcametrue
Instructor

Default Pay a lawyer!

If you paid a local lawyer, all of your worries will go away. They will plead it down to a non moving violation and get the points thrown out. No need to show up, have the lawyer call the Da and have them discuss the ticket,

Larry
Old 09-04-2006, 09:16 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikester
Yes, plead not guilty and go to court. that will help getting it reduced to no points.
The cost of the fine will probably triple.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't this funny! My daughter just got a ticket for a burnt out bulb. Yes she is very pretty and was probably doing 90 mph. Anyway, www.njmcdirect.com for NJ or the web address on back of ticket. Follow diections, plead guilty, pay with Visa or MC and your done. Hold your breath, they are not cheap.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mydreamcametrue
If you paid a local lawyer, all of your worries will go away. They will plead it down to a non moving violation and get the points thrown out. No need to show up, have the lawyer call the Da and have them discuss the ticket,

It's always better to get a lawyer, unless you're in a state where you can just take some online class to make the ticket go away (like CA).

Cost of a lawyer << cost of increased insurance.

The fact that your son will be 8 hours away at college when the court appearance happens just makes it all that much smarter to get a lawyer to stand in for him.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
My son got a ticket this evening. None of us have EVER gotten a ticket for a moving violation so I don't know how to proceed. The kid is going back to college tomorrow, an 8 hour drive, so I don't know if a court appearance is required for a guilty plea, and what his options are for not pleading guilty. He was passing a doubleparked van that was right in front of a crosswalk. The police car was behind my son. Supposedly there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk, but my son didn't even see the pedestrian (the van would have blocked his vision). Noone was hit, or even a "close call" but he got ticketed for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. My son says the cop told him it was no points, but I looked it up and it appears to be 2 points.

We will call the police tomorrow to find out what our options are, but probably will have to hire a lawyer. Several pedestrians have been hit by cars in our town over the past few years, so of course there is a big public outcry and the police response is to give BS tickets.

So for you experienced New Jersey ticket receivers, what's the drill?
You did not state if there was a traffic signal at the intersection. If there was, it makes a huge difference in the issuance of a summons.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
dabsplaza
Intermediate

Don't waste your money on a lawyer. Just send the money in and forget it. Your insurance doesn't go up until you exceed 7 points. If you plead not guilty your son has to be there in person. The DA will reduce the charge without much arm twisting, however, the reduced ticket has a $250 surcharge plus the fine (as I mentioned in a previous reply). I have been down this road too many times with my kids, so take advice from someone who has been there done that...

Good Luck......
Old 09-06-2006, 07:01 PM
BAD AZZ C5
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Tear it up & throw it away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:33 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cop gave your son a ticket for failing to yield to the pedestrian, but not to the double parked van that was right at the crosswalk.

Nice.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:07 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dabsplaza
Don't waste your money on a lawyer. Just send the money in and forget it. Your insurance doesn't go up until you exceed 7 points. If you plead not guilty your son has to be there in person. The DA will reduce the charge without much arm twisting, however, the reduced ticket has a $250 surcharge plus the fine (as I mentioned in a previous reply). I have been down this road too many times with my kids, so take advice from someone who has been there done that...

Good Luck......
I've been there myself with kids, for 2 points, don't worry about it, just sent it in.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you do with a ticket in New Jersey?

Quick Reply: What do you do with a ticket in New Jersey?