Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Those with an aftermarket exhaust will want to read this

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Those with an aftermarket exhaust will want to read this

I got this email today

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Fw: Vehicle Emissions / Inspections Obscenity

As you will see, there are Corvettes being rejected for the annual Massachusetts inspection due to excessive exhaust noise. As most of us have installed after-market exhaust systems like Borla, Corsa, B&B, etc., this will definitely impact us. If anyone wants to get on board with Rich Gureghian, President of North Shore Corvettes, please get in touch with him at r.gurehian@comcast.net.

Thanks.

Elaine

P.S. Rich, I'm with you.

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Vehicle Emissions / Inspections Obscenity

Note: This message is coming from me personally and does not necessarily indicate the position of North Shore Corvettes of MA, Inc.

I pass this information on to all Corvette clubs and Corvette owners within "The People's Republic of Massachusetts". Please note the e-mail exchange shown below. As the message exchange develops, you will note that the Commonwealth has set into law an inspection protocol that leaves acceptance or rejection of the vehicle up to the discretion of the inspector. No instruments or testing methodology for the measurement of exhaust system noise are involved. If we do not band together and change this immediately, good and law-abiding folks, whose only sin is their being automotive enthusiasts, will be out thousands of dollars in automotive property value.

I will be seeking a delegation to meet with the Massachusetts Legislature and the Registrar. If you wish to participate in this effort, please advise. Whether you wish to participate or not, I will keep you informed of what transpires.

As a last note, be sure to take your Corvette to an inspection station you trust. Beware of having your car inspected at Hillcrest.

With a wave,
Rich Gureghian
President
North Shore Corvettes of Massachusetts, Inc.
www.northshorecorvettes.com

Subject: RE: Emissions / Inspections

The Inspection regulation states: (5) Muffler and Exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks.
System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment.
Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by
the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will
be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, when at idle or any constant speed, visible black or
blue exhaust emissions are evident.
If at any time you feel that an inspector failed to inspect your vehicle correctly, You have the right to challenge the Inspection and a Field Investigator will research the Inspection. I have attached a link to the form needed below.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21413.pdf

Sent: Monday July 13, 2009 4:57 PM
To: Registry, Feedback (RMV)
Subject: Emissions / Inspections

Customer's Name: Richard ****
Transaction ID Number:
Registration #:
Title #:

Please advise the statute regarding exhaust noise. I received the following stating that in MA, exhaust noise level is at the individual discretion of the inspector. Please read and comment. Your input and the input of our registrar would be greatly appreciated.
R. S. Gureghian

orig. message --
Hi Guys
Thought I would pass on this info about an unfortunate experience I had at Hillcrest today.
Around noontime I went in to get an inspection sticker. They brought my car in and about ten minutes later it was out front with a REJECTION sticker. They explained that the state has a new law that prohibits any exhaust system form being louder than the factory system. You may remember that I have the after market Borla system that IS slightly louder than the factory system. What disturbs me is that the noise level is a judgment call and after they booted my car on the way into the inspection, no one warned me about the new law or gave me an opportunity to find another more merciful shop.
Please pass the word to the club members about this new law.
Thanks
Bill
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Corsa Sports with X-pipe.....no problem at NJ DMV Inspection
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

straight pipes in nyc....
Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What do they do with the "loud" Harleys????????
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by moserbe
They give tickets in my town, ask me how I know.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer sold me and passed my Z06 with a Borla touring exhaust, so despite it being aftermarket it was ok. It ALL depends on the guy doing your inspection.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They did this years back with bikes...too bad mine was a 2 stroke and they had nothing to go by. It just gets worse and worse.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by hcvone
Didn't you tell them you know Sal....?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
bterwilliger
Racer

How about imposing the same rules on motorcycles? Louder than ANY car on the beach here.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hcvone
Carl,

It's not the sound level the LMPD was giving a ticket for, it was YOU. I saw each police car in town has a picture of you taped to the dash
Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The dealer sold me and passed my Z06 with a Borla touring exhaust, so despite it being aftermarket it was ok. It ALL depends on the guy doing your inspection.
Probably because a) the dealer sold it to you and b) the Touring exhaust isn't a whole lot louder than stock. Question is, what would they do with a Corsa Extreme?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Geeze! I've got neighbors on my street with stock Dodge pickup trucks with VERY loud exhaust systems, or for that matter how 'bout some of the Mustangs? I believe here in the Garden State exhaust noise is gauged with a DB limit measured on a sound meter. Wikipedia states a vagueness as to what loudness is and the measure of it, and talks of Decibels, Sones, and Phons as components of noise or loudness. I'm sure the DMV knows more than Wikipedia. <===== sarcasm! I thought Jersey was bad, it sounds like Mass has us beat hands down!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You figure they would hassle Harley riders before Vettes.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 AM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Ol'55
Geeze! I've got neighbors on my street with stock Dodge pickup trucks with VERY loud exhaust systems, or for that matter how 'bout some of the Mustangs? I believe here in the Garden State exhaust noise is gauged with a DB limit measured on a sound meter. Wikipedia states a vagueness as to what loudness is and the measure of it, and talks of Decibels, Sones, and Phons as components of noise or loudness. I'm sure the DMV knows more than Wikipedia. <===== sarcasm! I thought Jersey was bad, it sounds like Mass has us beat hands down!
This doesnt apply to New Jersey "NJ Breaks laws, it doesnt enforce them"
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moserbe

I live in a condo and there are a couple of D-bags with load bikes. They seem to think it is funny trying to set off car alarms as they drive thru the parking lot Not sure who they think is impressed by this?

I had a buddy many years ago by a Harley and he went to an inspection station run by bikers. They seriously told him they would not pass his bike until he got a loader exhaust. So he went home and shoved a broom handle into the exhaust and knocked out all the baffles. They gave him a sticker??

It's people like this that go too far and ruin it for everyone else.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

loader exhaust...I get your point though
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
loader exhaust...I get your point though