Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Need help with NJ firearm laws.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Need help with NJ firearm laws.

I have AR rifles which are prohibited under NJ law. I'm going to call the NJ State Police on Monday to get some clarification, but after reading about the guy that got 7 years while transporting locked, non-prohibited guns I'm a little nervous.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You SHOULD be worried. NJ is tough. Most people just DON'T bring any guns in even if unloaded and locked away. Not worth the risk. Last time I went skeet shooting in NJ I just rented a shotgun there.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
JPM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by carboman
You SHOULD be worried. NJ is tough. Most people just DON'T bring any guns in even if unloaded and locked away. Not worth the risk. Last time I went skeet shooting in NJ I just rented a shotgun there.
So what you're saying is you dont know the answer
Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I have AR rifles which are prohibited under NJ law. I'm going to call the NJ State Police on Monday to get some clarification, but after reading about the guy that got 7 years while transporting locked, non-prohibited guns I'm a little nervous.
What is your question?

More to that story then is being circulated. He moved back into the state with guns he bought legally out of state. However, when he got to NJ he did not take the guns out of the car for sometime after arriving here. It's like transporting guns to the range. You can't put them in your car and go to the range days later or drive for days after leaving the range with the guns in the car.

The guy still got shafted by a now fired judge. (another story of it's own) I'm confident he will win the appeal....

Last edited by Crusher; 11-19-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JPM
So what you're saying is you dont know the answer
I've read the rules that the NJ State Police post on their web site and I'm not sure anyone does. The overall gist is, NJ residents that are licensed in NJ are OK all others should leave their firearms home.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crusher
What is your question?

Can I even bring my ARs into NJ? If yes what do I need to do? If no can I store them on post?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Can I even bring my ARs into NJ? If yes what do I need to do? If no can I store them on post?
My some what educated guess would say no. It takes a special firearm license in NJ to own any AR gun. Not just a firearm ID card. So I'm fairly confident that an out of state resident can't bring them into the state and have them in their home even if bought legally somewhere else. As far as on post. I have no idea but would think the military would have some recourse for you. Can't be the first time this has come up.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

My some what educated guess would say no. It takes a special firearm license in NJ to own any AR gun. Not just a firearm ID card. So I'm fairly confident that an out of state resident can't bring them into the state and have them in their home even if bought legally somewhere else. As far as on post. I have no idea but would think the military would have some recourse for you. Can't be the first time this has come up.
This is what I figured. What about pistols, glocks, 1911s?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It takes a special firearm license in NJ to own any AR gun. Not just a firearm ID card.
Or a good friend in the NJ government. Im more than 1/2 way finished with The Soprano State.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

This is what I figured. What about pistols, glocks, 1911s?
They're semi autos so it would be OK for you to have them in your home as long as they were bought legally. I'm sure the JAG office can answer all your questions and instruct you as to what you would have to do if anything. I'm sure there must be different rules and regulations concerning service personnel that are not permanent residents of the state.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The application of some laws in N.J. conflict with the Uniform Firearms Act depending on who you are dealing with (individuals). Persons who have conformed with the federal laws in the transportation of their owned firearms have been charged with violations of the N.J. firearm laws or their application of those laws. Often the result is that the person charged, cites his conformance with federal law and the charges are dropped or they are found not guilty. Sometimes those N.J. laws may also be technically correct for their state and different from other states. Be extra cautious with pistols, besides being unloaded and separated properly from the ammo, also have all clips empty while transporting.

Bottom line, N.J. is not the place to to assert your rights, they (police) sometimes do as they please or do what they think is right regardless of your federal rights. Take no chances! Be very private & careful in what you do.

I never carry a firearm into that state, too many small town yahoos. Rarely leave home without one in my own city/state. As advised, consult the local JAG in N.J.

PS - I am a former LEO.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by tsts
I never carry a firearm into that state, too many small town yahoos. Rarely leave home without one in my own city/state. As advised, consult the local JAG in N.J.

PS - I am a former LEO.
H.R. 218...All you need to know is here....
http://www.rpoac.org/RETIRED%20PEACE...ight2Carry.pdf
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'20, '21,'22, '23

I got the following at NRAstore.com

http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm

Should help answering some of your questions.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 AM
bigdreams65
Burning Brakes

not sure if you'll be living on post or if it's possible for you to live off post... if off post, move to PA, the laws are much more firearm friendly here and depending on where the base is it shouldn't be to bad of a drive to work... except for the traffic that is..

GL with this... Being from PA I take our gun laws for granted sometimes, I never new NJ was so bad...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 AM
JPM
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Ikester
Or a good friend in the NJ government. Im more than 1/2 way finished with The Soprano State.
Good read man...hope you didnt cheap out in get the (paperback)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

H.R. 218...All you need to know is here....
http://www.rpoac.org/RETIRED%20PEACE...ight2Carry.pdf
I'm not a police officer.
Originally Posted by basicstrategy777
I got the following at NRAstore.com

http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm

Should help answering some of your questions.

I've read the laws, but it is hard to understand how they may apply to me. I'm in a unique position as military member stationed in a state. There are some state laws that do not apply to me, such as having to become a citizen of a state by getting a driver's license after living in the state for usually 6 months.

The other problem is the military does not go into each state and determine which laws should apply or not, and NJ is unique with its restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and citizen self defense.

I'll call JAG on Monday, see what they say.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tsts
The application of some laws in N.J. conflict with the Uniform Firearms Act depending on who you are dealing with (individuals). Persons who have conformed with the federal laws in the transportation of their owned firearms have been charged with violations of the N.J. firearm laws or their application of those laws. Often the result is that the person charged, cites his conformance with federal law and the charges are dropped or they are found not guilty. Sometimes those N.J. laws may also be technically correct for their state and different from other states. Be extra cautious with pistols, besides being unloaded and separated properly from the ammo, also have all clips empty while transporting.

Bottom line, N.J. is not the place to to assert your rights, they (police) sometimes do as they please or do what they think is right regardless of your federal rights. Take no chances! Be very private & careful in what you do.

PS - I am a former LEO.

Originally Posted by bigdreams65
not sure if you'll be living on post or if it's possible for you to live off post... if off post, move to PA, the laws are much more firearm friendly here and depending on where the base is it shouldn't be to bad of a drive to work... except for the traffic that is..

GL with this... Being from PA I take our gun laws for granted sometimes, I never new NJ was so bad...
Off post, may look at living in PA.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with NJ firearm laws.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I know. That was meant for TSTS as I had quoted him.....
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 AM
AlfredMay
Racer

Living in PA will be a PITA based upon the commute. Plus housing will cost more because you will be in the Philadelphia area.

Many moons ago I was stationed at Dix. There was a range (gun club) for permanent party to use. I do not know if it still is there. If so, get your weapons on post and leave them there.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read the laws, but it is hard to understand how they may apply to me. I'm in a unique position as military member stationed in a state. There are some state laws that do not apply to me, such as having to become a citizen of a state by getting a driver's license after living in the state for usually 6 months.

The other problem is the military does not go into each state and determine which laws should apply or not, and NJ is unique with its restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and citizen self defense.

I'll call JAG on Monday, see what they say.
You are absolutely correct that the laws for NJ residents do not apply to you, since you are a temporary stay service member, even if stationed at a base for years.

Best to contact BOTH the JAG office and the police department in the local township you plan on residing in. The local PD may not give you the most accurate legal info, but at least you can feel them out. Just because you do something "legal" doesn't mean that they can make it easy for you.

I know several people with legal ARs in NJ, but all are federal agents or LEO's, so thier situation is even slightly different. I'll talk to them and see if they can shed any light on the situation.

Quick Reply: Need help with NJ firearm laws.