Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Garage floor - epoxy or tile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I went with the circle trac pattern racedeck, my floor was in very poor shape being 70 years old, my Garage was never finished previously so I'm in the middle of trying to finish it..don't mind the crappy pics but it's a work in progress.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

I have an oversized two-car garage under our new-to-us bilevel (another word for UGLY-style) home that was built in the '60s. The concrete floor was original to the house and had some staining but luckily no cracks. I had tried coating/painting a garage floor about 15 years ago, and, although today's products are probably much better, I didn't want to go through all that work again. So I checked out RaceDeck, plastic tiles at Home Depot and Lowes, and then saw them online at Costco. They are solid plastic/vinyl material that does not allow grit and dirt to go through them to the concrete below. I waited for their sale price--a few times a year they drop the price on these, and shipping is always free to your home--and bought them. They may not be as "good" quality as RaceDeck, but I think they're terrific. Easy to put down, fairly easy to cut (I used a jigsaw for trimming), and they are holding up great. I sweep the floor about once a week, and just damp mop it whenever the "OCD urge" hits me--but at least once a month.

About the only negative I've found with these tiles is only one style/pattern is offered; and only three colors: black, silver/gray and white. They also come in combos of silver/gray and black or white and black. They also sell completer kits with tapered edge tiles for the garage entrance. I think they're just more bang for the buck for the budget.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog
I have an oversized two-car garage under our new-to-us bilevel (another word for UGLY-style) home that was built in the '60s. The concrete floor was original to the house and had some staining but luckily no cracks. I had tried coating/painting a garage floor about 15 years ago, and, although today's products are probably much better, I didn't want to go through all that work again. So I checked out RaceDeck, plastic tiles at Home Depot and Lowes, and then saw them online at Costco. They are solid plastic/vinyl material that does not allow grit and dirt to go through them to the concrete below. I waited for their sale price--a few times a year they drop the price on these, and shipping is always free to your home--and bought them. They may not be as "good" quality as RaceDeck, but I think they're terrific. Easy to put down, fairly easy to cut (I used a jigsaw for trimming), and they are holding up great. I sweep the floor about once a week, and just damp mop it whenever the "OCD urge" hits me--but at least once a month.

About the only negative I've found with these tiles is only one style/pattern is offered; and only three colors: black, silver/gray and white. They also come in combos of silver/gray and black or white and black. They also sell completer kits with tapered edge tiles for the garage entrance. I think they're just more bang for the buck for the budget.
The tiles are made of polypropylene and very tough. I'm pretty sure the tiles from costco are the MotoFloor Modular Garage Flooring Tiles?

They are actually made by Racedeck for Costco the difference is mostly in the warranty and the diamond pattern is different, the normal Racedeck tiles have a 15 year warranty these tiles have 10 years. They will even connect with each other except the Costco tiles are just slightly thinner. I actually do sell these cheaper than Costco and in any color the same as the regular Racedeck tiles.

Last edited by Redc8z06; 03-27-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a pro epoxy job done 8 yrs ago and it is awesome, looks new, holds up to everything except welding slag. and is way better than the tiles, I did tiles in my basement and they are not even close
Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I used epoxy in mine. My garage see's a lot of traffic...get a lift, you'll gain tons of friends hahaha. The floor had held up pretty well, save for dropping some really heavy stuff that chipped the concrete itself. If I were to change one thing, I'd go with a medium grey color instead of the blue that we went with. The blue definitely shows scratches.

If you plan to actually do real garage work in there and not just park your pretty car on it, I'd stay away from tiles....just my .02.

- Travis
Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Riverdog

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
The tiles are made of polypropylene and very tough. I'm pretty sure the tiles from costco are the MotoFloor Modular Garage Flooring Tiles?

They are actually made by Racedeck for Costco the difference is mostly in the warranty and the diamond pattern is different, the normal Racedeck tiles have a 15 year warranty these tiles have 10 years. They will even connect with each other except the Costco tiles are just slightly thinner. I actually do sell these cheaper than Costco and in any color the same as the regular Racedeck tiles.
MotoFloor Modular Garage Flooring Tiles are the ones that I have installed and talked about earlier in this thread. I couldn't remember the brand until I saw RedC7z06's post.

I've been happy with mine. Like I noted in my post, my only complaint is when I use a floor-jack or jack stands; the weight of the car pushes the floor-jack wheels or jack stand legs into the tile causing minor damage to the tile. The fix is to use 1/2" plywood to distribute the weight across several tiles.

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 03-29-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

I'm curious why you would say "If you plan to actually do real garage work in there and not just park your pretty car on it, I'd stay away from tiles....just my .02." I have a 4 post car lift sitting on top of my tiles for years now with my corvette sitting on it. No damage to the tiles at all. The Army Corps of Engineers parks their dump trucks on these. The are rated for 250 pounds per square inch with a support rolling loads of over 50,000 pounds. Short of taking a blow torch or dropping heavy pointy objects it's nearly impossible to damage these.

Last edited by Redc8z06; 03-29-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:34 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm curious why you would say "If you plan to actually do real garage work in there and not just park your pretty car on it, I'd stay away from tiles....just my .02." I have a 4 post car lift sitting on top of my tiles for years now with my corvette sitting on it. No damage to the tiles at all. The Army Corps of Engineers parks their dump trucks on these. The are rated for 250 pounds per square inch with a support rolling loads of over 50,000 pounds. Short of taking a blow torch or dropping heavy pointy objects it's nearly impossible to damage these.
I installed my Race Deck last summer and I also have my 4 post lift on the deck with no issues; it is extremely strong stuff and the flow deck sections work very well dealing with rain and snow dissipation, allowing the water to flow under the tile out of the garage.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:52 AM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Race Deck installed this month.
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2017, 05:01 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by zzw26n
Race Deck installed this month.
Nice!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm more referring to spilling of various fluids with my comment, or even welding spatter.

- Travis

Quick Reply: Garage floor - epoxy or tile?