Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Corvette Heroes Collection

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 AM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Corvette Heroes Collection

Haven't heard anything about this in quite a while . . .

https://abc7ny.com/automotive/one-of...show-/5266681/

One-of-a-kind Corvette collection comes to life at the New York Auto Show

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019 6:30PM
MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Unveiling a rare one-of-a-kind collection of Corvettes at the New York International Auto show at the Javits Center, you get a glimpse at what makes them so unique.

Some are shiny with mirror finishes, while others are dull and dust covered.

They are classic and make up what's called the Corvette Heroes Collection.

Pointing to a 1956 Corvette painted in cascade green and white, Corvette expert Chris Mazzilli said, "I think it screams 50s. It looks like a diner to me."

Mazzilli walked me through this one-of-a-kind collection of Corvettes, which features seven at the Auto Show -- only a part of a 36-car collection thought to be one of the greatest in history.

"One from every year from '53 to '89, and what makes it special to me is the fact that they stayed together," Mazzilli said.

A large photograph shows all the cars discovered in a Manhattan garage, covered in dust and dirt. Some have flat tires, all parked together.

When asked if this is how Mazzilli found them, he said, "This is exactly how we found them. The first time I went into the garage and I saw the cars entombed, the hairs stood up on my arms. I couldn't believe it."

Once owned by famed pop artist Peter Max, they were in disrepair.

"He was going to paint them and auction them off at Yankee Stadium, Mazzilli said. "That never happened, so they sat for 25 years."

Purchased in 2014 by the Heller and Spindler real estate families, the collection is being brought back to life one car at a time by Mazzilli's company, Dream Car Restoratons, in Hicksville, Long Island.

Adam Heller, one of the owners, explained what happens next.

"We are going to do a sweepstakes and give 36 of them away separately," he said. "They will still be connected for the rest of their lives."

Mazzilli said a portion of the proceedings is going to benefit the National Guard Educational Foundation, a partner in the sweepstakes.

You can preregister for the sweepstakes at the Auto Show, and some are already dreaming.

"We will be here at the New York Auto Show next year, and soon after that, we will have the drawing," Mazzilli said.

The collection is worth seeing, as one-of-a-kind Corvettes come to life again.

Also see: https://corvetteheroes.com/
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks for posting this Tom. I've never hears of this collection but if they ever bring it to Winston Salem NC I'd go and see it, BTW, Winston Salem NC is where I live now, sold the house and closed the electrical business in Jersey. I hope everything is well with you,(there is hope for the Jets)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I saw some of the cars at the NY auto show. Some were nice (the 89 vert being the newest of them all with only 7k) and some were downright scary. Most of them were just used cars that were purchased for the giveaway, combine that with 25 years of neglect and the results are not pretty.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Thanks for posting this Tom. I've never hears of this collection but if they ever bring it to Winston Salem NC I'd go and see it, BTW, Winston Salem NC is where I live now, sold the house and closed the electrical business in Jersey. I hope everything is well with you,(there is hope for the Jets)
Hey, George!

I guess we haven't spoken in a very long time. I hope you are feeling well.

I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I saw some of the cars at the NY auto show. Some were nice (the 89 vert being the newest of them all with only 7k) and some were downright scary. Most of them were just used cars that were purchased for the giveaway, combine that with 25 years of neglect and the results are not pretty.
Thanks for the reply.

I used to go to the Auto Show every year. Never missed it. Not so much anymore.

I was hoping to get there this year, especially to see this, but I didn't make it.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ51
Thanks for the reply.

I used to go to the Auto Show every year. Never missed it. Not so much anymore.

I was hoping to get there this year, especially to see this, but I didn't make it.
I have been going since the days of the NY Coliseum, but the show is not what it used to be. There were a few notable absences this year, (BMW & Volvo) and many of the displays were smaller than usual.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Heroes Collection

Quick Reply: Corvette Heroes Collection