Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Z06 service in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:14 AM
ek1
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Z06 service in NYC

Thinking of getting a z06 for my 40th. Will be used mostly as a track event car (PDE, no racing) and occasional weekend driver. I live in NYC, which, as many here will agree, has some of the worst dealerships in the country (not just Chevy, but all other brands as well). Starting with price gouging and deceptive sales tactics and continuing with lousy service experience. I have purchased/leased quite a few cars in my life, so I can work my way through the sales process one way or the other, but it's the service that scares me. Over the past 10+ years I was fortunate enough to own cars that either did not have any complex issues or were associated with excellent dealer service. For cars that I have today, dealerships send a flatbed to my house, pick up my car, do whatever they need to do with my car and bring it back. There is never any damage, I am constantly updated on status via email and phone and the whole experience allows me to keep living my life, working and spending time with my family without having to think if my car is going to be OK. Since I track my cars occasionally, my dealers are also OK on some warranty issues that pop up once in a while and never try play the "Not covered by warranty" game for unrelated items.

Things go wrong with all cars, and sometimes fixing them takes more than one service appointment and I am somewhat OK with that. What I am not OK with is having to stress over some moron damaging something on the car during service and either hiding it of refusing responsibility for it. Z06 is a modern car with a lot of complexity, so anyone working on it has to have proper education to do so, proper skills, attention to detail, etc. Basically none of the things that 99% of dealership personnel have today. To top it off, some dealerships also employ people that like taking joy rides in customer cars.

Seeing as the flatbed thing is not going to happen with a Chevy, another thing that bothers me is distance. Many years ago I had a Jeep GC SRT8. It was great, but the nearest dealer that was somewhat OK was almost 40 miles away. It was OK back then, but there is no way I willing to drive a total of 80 miles today to get my car looked at.

I am sure a few people here live in NYC. Can someone please post their experience with NYC (and near vicinity) dealers that are qualified to work on the Z06? I love the car and really want to get it, I am not willing to suffer through a poor service experience. I do not want to end up like some of the owners here, having to post their issues on a public forum, only so that GM finally pays attention to them. I just want to get the car, drive it and enjoy it.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Im in the same boat! I purchased the car in NH and drove it back. Have no idea what dealer to use although I have heard that Eagle in Riverhead is pretty good...Anybody else know a good dealer in NYC?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I live nearby in northern nj. I call jackson Chevy in Middletown conn and have paul koerner who is The corvette mechanic world class technician.

I leave early in the morning with an appointment set and I have AAA gold so in cash of emergency I have the ability to have the car towed up there.

Sounds nuts yet Paul's been working on my corvettes since 1999.

With an appointment I have the service bay cleared , ready and waiting for my car. Jackson Chevrolet is a top notch beautiful dealership and the entire sales and service department are first rate all the way.

If I need a loaner it's never been an issue.

The ride up the merit in the early morning is beautiful as is the ride home. If I lived in manhattan I'd definitely use Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown conn. No one else works on my car.

I'd rather drive up with no traffic, enjoy the excellence in service and enjoy the entire experience.

The few extra miles at 60 mph is nothing compared to the possibility of having someone who doesn't care about service excellence...

Do yourself a favor and at the very least go up once to understand what I am speaking about.

I roll up before the sun rises and as the sun starts to go up as I travel up the merit....it's a what these cars are made for.

Great experience through and through.

Jmo
Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks JerriVette, thats good to know, hopefully my Z06 will be as good as my C7 was with 10k miles and no issues.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:25 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Im in the same boat! I purchased the car in NH and drove it back. Have no idea what dealer to use although I have heard that Eagle in Riverhead is pretty good...Anybody else know a good dealer in NYC?
Go to Atlantic in Bayshore. Joe is my mechanic
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6 08
^+1 Atlantic on Long Island. The pot holes getting there are murder though.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Did you get your 500 mile oil change there? Any issues with using Mobil 1 and overfilling?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 PM
ek1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I live nearby in northern nj. I call jackson Chevy in Middletown conn and have paul koerner who is The corvette mechanic world class technician.

I leave early in the morning with an appointment set and I have AAA gold so in cash of emergency I have the ability to have the car towed up there.

Sounds nuts yet Paul's been working on my corvettes since 1999.

With an appointment I have the service bay cleared , ready and waiting for my car. Jackson Chevrolet is a top notch beautiful dealership and the entire sales and service department are first rate all the way.

If I need a loaner it's never been an issue.

The ride up the merit in the early morning is beautiful as is the ride home. If I lived in manhattan I'd definitely use Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown conn. No one else works on my car.

I'd rather drive up with no traffic, enjoy the excellence in service and enjoy the entire experience.

The few extra miles at 60 mph is nothing compared to the possibility of having someone who doesn't care about service excellence...

Do yourself a favor and at the very least go up once to understand what I am speaking about.

I roll up before the sun rises and as the sun starts to go up as I travel up the merit....it's a what these cars are made for.

Great experience through and through.

Jmo
Unfortunately, the place is 118 miles from me The early morning drive on a weekday would be 4+ hours with NYC traffic. Same thing for coming back in the end of the day. I am sure it's a great dealership, but there is no way I'd be willing to commit to 8+ hours of driving for each service appointment.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM
ek1
7th Gear

OK...this is closer.....46 miles from me. Still a hell of a crawl (we don't actually drive here in NYC ) in traffic on SSP.

Reading reviews on this dealership does NOT inspire confidence. One star out of 5. Check out http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...chevrolet.html

Looking at another site, their service department actually has 7 very bad reviews out of 8 total : http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/At...-service-1452/

I realize people only post negative reviews most of the time, but the stuff that I read in these reviews is exactly what drives me up the wall. This one cracks me up:

"Staff in the service center treat me worse than the feces of a diseased animal."

They may have one excellent Corvette mechanic, but their overall customer service may suck and if that mechanic leaves tomorrow, I am dead in the water.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Apogee2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ek1
OK...this is closer.....46 miles from me. Still a hell of a crawl (we don't actually drive here in NYC ) in traffic on SSP.

Reading reviews on this dealership does NOT inspire confidence. One star out of 5. Check out http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...chevrolet.html

Looking at another site, their service department actually has 7 very bad reviews out of 8 total : http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/At...-service-1452/

I realize people only post negative reviews most of the time, but the stuff that I read in these reviews is exactly what drives me up the wall. This one cracks me up:

"Staff in the service center treat me worse than the feces of a diseased animal."

They may have one excellent Corvette mechanic, but their overall customer service may suck and if that mechanic leaves tomorrow, I am dead in the water.
Head up to the Chevy dealership in Mt. Kisco it's where westchester corvette club meets and from another thread seems like Gene takes his there. I have the same debate, thankfully i'm in New Rochelle so it's a little less of a drive...no way am I heading to that dealer in CT, just way too far
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ek1
Unfortunately, the place is 118 miles from me The early morning drive on a weekday would be 4+ hours with NYC traffic. Same thing for coming back in the end of the day. I am sure it's a great dealership, but there is no way I'd be willing to commit to 8+ hours of driving for each service appointment.
I travel around 98 miles each way. I do leave early in the morning so I by pass all the traffic as I mentioned I see the sun rise. My service usually ends by 10 am...maybe 10:30 am and I'm rolling back down the merit again with no traffic.

For excellence in service and best time management this beautiful dealership rolls out the red carpet for me and I'm always the first car serviced of the day and among the first one out. I miss the traffic both ways and like I said in my earlier post I enjoy the drive. Usually it's a half a day at best and a half a day enjoying the drive over the past15 years it just works for me.

I don't know what part of manhattan you are and I am sorry my suggestion didn't work out. I'm sure there are many fine dealers out there.

Good luck and I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-22-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Did you get your 500 mile oil change there? Any issues with using Mobil 1 and overfilling?
He put proper amount in think it was 9.75 qts
He ran car then re-checked.
Mobile one.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

I just happen to know this mechanic. Thats why I use the dealer. He is ONLY one allowed to touch my car!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:12 AM
ek1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Apogee2000
Head up to the Chevy dealership in Mt. Kisco it's where westchester corvette club meets and from another thread seems like Gene takes his there. I have the same debate, thankfully i'm in New Rochelle so it's a little less of a drive...no way am I heading to that dealer in CT, just way too far
Just looked up that dealership. It's called Arroway Chevrolet. Looks good, no bad reviews online. One problem - it's 60 miles away. That's pretty bad. If something happens to the car and it needs to be towed to the dealership, NYC rates for towing are around $6 per mile, so I would be looking at $360 per one way trip. If I were to drive the car to the dealership myself and would have to leave it overnight, I'd have to rent a car to drive home, wait until the repair is done, drive the rental all the way back, etc. The dealership web site does not say anything about loaners.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

60 miles? Where exactly are you?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 PM
ek1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Stingray23
60 miles? Where exactly are you?
South Brooklyn. Office in Midtown Manhattan, but its still 50 miles away from that dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 service in NYC

Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ek1
South Brooklyn. Office in Midtown Manhattan, but its still 50 miles away from that dealership.
Oh, wow. There has to be a chevy dealer in Brooklyn or Queens.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Potamkin on 11th ave., Major World in Long island city, Sunrise Chevy in forest hills,
Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM
ek1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Oh, wow. There has to be a chevy dealer in Brooklyn or Queens.
Of course there is a boatload of dealers around me, although it will be a cold day in hell before they lay their hands on my car. Please scroll up and read my original post. For those of you guys living outside of NY metro area, let me just say that car dealerships in NYC are "special" in many ways. In general, the more mainstream the brand is, the worse the dealership.

Quick Reply: Z06 service in NYC