Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Warranty extension for clutch system failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Default Warranty extension for clutch system failure

Didn't get much in the way of answers in the C6 section so will try here:
Just got a letter from GM re: my 2005 MN6 which states: "....the clutch system may fail if unapproved fluids are used to service the system or if a high pressure pulse occurs during a clutch self adjustment event. If the clutch system fails, the clutch pedal may not return if depressed. If the clutch pedal does not return, it may be possible to start the vehicle in gear....which could result in unexpected vehicle movement when the engine is started." The warranty extension is good for 10 years or 120K miles, whichever occurs first. Since I'm getting this letter now on my '05 (purchased new), the 10 years is up....so the warranty extension is useless. But....I'm curious about this condition. Has anyone experienced this failure & what the heck is a "high pressure pulse during a clutch self adjustment event"?
By the way....I've used the Ranger method to replace clutch fluid a couple of times using Prestone DOT 4 fluid & clutch has been fine.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Got my letter today on my 2013
Old 10-03-2015, 04:14 PM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought my 08 in 2012 and had this happen. Too bad we were returning from Maine and stopped at a rest area in Mass. Pedal stayed on floor. Car had to stay in CT for 3 weeks waiting for parts. Thankfully bought warranty. Since then clutch fluid is checked constantly and changed with ranger method. Guess I should be expecting another letter from GM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:59 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So this is part of our warranty?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This almost sounds like they are extending the warranty an additional 10yrs beyond the 5 yr drivetrain warranty.

I just saw this post on the C6 forum :https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-14717-a.html

Last edited by Glen1224; 10-03-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: found C6 post
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Received my letter in today's mail.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Kenafin
Instructor

Got the letter as well...had this happen back in late December. Had a local shop do the work so we're in the process of gathering paperwork. We'll see if GM will reimburse us for some of it.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mine claim was just denied, because I replaced it with a better part.

Guess that this is one of the reasons that the three vehicle I bought after the Corvette are not GM products.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Kenafin
Instructor

Originally Posted by timd38
Mine claim was just denied, because I replaced it with a better part.

Guess that this is one of the reasons that the three vehicle I bought after the Corvette are not GM products.
Did you try to get them to cover the entire thing or just part of it? We replaced some of the parts with better but I was going to submit a claim for the labor and gm parts we did use to see if they would cover that part of it at least.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Kenafin
Did you try to get them to cover the entire thing or just part of it? We replaced some of the parts with better but I was going to submit a claim for the labor and gm parts we did use to see if they would cover that part of it at least.
Good idea. Back in my youth I worked in the dealerships, and found that even different times of the month would be a factor in the "budget" the district rep had at that time. Meaning that a claim reimbursement could be denied, but on an appeal may be paid to the same person/claim denied the first time (the Veterans Administration works the same way,LOL). One of the most practiced out of warranty factory goodwill aids is for the factory to pick up the labor, and the customer pays parts, or visa versa whereas the factory picks up the parts and the consumer pays labor. Either could be afforded the consumer through reimbursement from a repair done by an outside garage due to an emergency situation such as this clutch failure. I'd advise anyone who has paid for this repair either through a dealership OR a private garage/tuner to submit for reimbursement, and if denied the first time to resubmit even maybe to a higher level of company management. Best of luck on this to any involved.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:36 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Kenafin
I only requested what the OE part and replacement would be.

GM needs me more than I need them, so it is what it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty extension for clutch system failure

Quick Reply: Warranty extension for clutch system failure