Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

I have a 67 corvette from Marsh Hallman chevy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Redstingray67
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 67 corvette from Marsh Hallman chevy.

Trying to get any info available,have the tank sticker,is there any more info I can obtain,Bob
Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Redstingray67
Trying to get any info available,have the tank sticker,is there any more info I can obtain,Bob
Well as Marsh Hallman went out of business years ago I doubt that any info remains from that era. It turned into DePaulla Chevy many years ago. Its at the same location

I knew the place well lot of my buddies had Chevies in the 60s Street racing period here in Albany. I at that time has a couple of hot Mopars and I did a HUGE amount of street racing and legit drag racing at both Lebanon Valley and South Glens falls. I also worked part time for a buddies speed shop in that era(Dynamic Auto).
Old 04-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

What was the other Chevy dealer near Albany?
They lost their Chevrolet dealership and closed their doors during the General Motors reorganization.

My Vette was bought there according to a gentleman that claimed he bought it from them in the mid-late 60's.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Brian
What was the other Chevy dealer near Albany?
They lost their Chevrolet dealership and closed their doors during the General Motors reorganization.

My Vette was bought there according to a gentleman that claimed he bought it from them in the mid-late 60's.
In the sixties the other dealer in Albany was Livermore,<SPL> they sold out to Dick Smith about 1967 and the business was moved to Colonie it is still in business today as DeNooyer.

A Chevy dealer that was put out of business by that " GM reorganization" in the obama yeas was Action they were located just South of Saratoga.

Off the top of my head that was the only dealer in the immediate Albany area put out of business in that era. A few more sold out and the name changes.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:27 PM
WKL
3rd Gear

Default Marsh Hallman Nostalgia

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
In the sixties the other dealer in Albany was Livermore,<SPL> they sold out to Dick Smith about 1967 and the business was moved to Colonie it is still in business today as DeNooyer.

A Chevy dealer that was put out of business by that " GM reorganization" in the obama yeas was Action they were located just South of Saratoga.

Off the top of my head that was the only dealer in the immediate Albany area put out of business in that era. A few more sold out and the name changes.

Hope this helps!
Marsh Hallman Chevrolet –

Marshall Hallman was one of three brothers who owned Chevy dealerships in NY. Brothers Herb and Maynard owned dealerships in Syracuse (Central) and Rochester. The dealership on the corner of Everett Road and Central Avenue, Albany was originally owned by Don Allen who, I believe moved the location from nearer the center of Albany in the 1950s. Don Allen owned many Chevy dealerships from Florida to Maine including the one in NYC located on the first floor of the GM Building. Allen was visiting that location when he died of a heart attack in 1959. This opened up his vast holdings for guys like the Hallman’s. Marsh ended up w/the Everett/Central Ave location. He was a stand-up guy and I had a chance to go to Woodstock w/his son but turned it down…….that’s another tale.

My Dad was a Chevy technician certified from just before WW2 thru 1983. After serving in Italy (Ran Motor Pool) he returned to the States, married my Mom and settled into work @ Westfall Chevrolet, Altamont NY. There were no lifts and very little light as Westfall’s had been in the Chevy business since the 1920s and Wright Westfall was nearing retirement. Seeking an easier situation off the floor, Dad moved to Don Allen’s in 1958. He had two lifts assigned to him about 2/3 of the way down the service shop and his window looked out on Orange Motors (Ford) next door on Central Ave.

When I turned 16 in 1968, I began working summers @ Hallman’s doing six in a row ending in 1973. Mostly I was what was termed a “car jockey” which meant moving cars on site or off including the Selkirk Yard where cars came in via Rail. In this role I was able to meet everyone in the shop in those days. The best part of the job was getting to drive Corvettes new and used and watching the guys who generally specialized in them, do their magic. My Dad generally stayed mostly clear of Corvettes as he was 6’3’’ and couldn’t do the tight dimensions. He often was called on to consult, however, as he was a bit of a whisperer who was in some demand by local dirt track racers (Fonda) for Chevy speed secrets.

During the L88 craze, my Dad and I converted several 1967/68 cars from 390HP to L88 configuration in our home shop. Everything was available over the parts counter and we could turn out a completed car in a weekend. No worries in those days about part number correct cars. It was all about speed.

The one that got away was a 1957 air-box car I found in Niskayuna. The car belonged to a dentist and it was sitting across the back of his garage and hadn’t run in several years when I found it in 1968. I was the guy that my friends wanted to bless cars they bought. I went to the house and my friend didn’t show so I bought the car. All black. I have never seen one like that since, most have red interiors. I think I paid $1500. The insurance proved to be at least that, so I sold it a few months later for $2500. That paid for a lot of college in those days.

To wrap up the Marsh Hallman nostalgia, I decided to not go into the car business despite being encouraged to shadow the general manager @ Hallman’s as he was due to retire. Didn’t want to be my Dad’s boss’s boss. My Dad was finally driven from the business by the Citation, a signal that the hands-on mechanic era was pretty much over. Constant hand burns from 195-degree motors and no adjustments possible meant it was time to restore tractors….
Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 AM
WKL
3rd Gear

Default Marsh Hallman Nostalgia

Marshall Hallman was one of three brothers who owned Chevy dealerships in NY. Brothers Herb and Maynard owned dealerships in Syracuse (Central) and Rochester. The dealership on the corner of Everett Road and Central Avenue, Albany was originally owned by Don Allen who, I believe moved the location from nearer the center of Albany in the 1950s. Don Allen owned many Chevy dealerships from Florida to Maine including the one in NYC located on the first floor of the GM Building. Allen was visiting that location when he died of a heart attack in 1959. This opened up his vast holdings for guys like the Hallman’s. Marsh ended up w/the Everett/Central Ave location. He was a stand-up guy and I had a chance to go to Woodstock w/his son but turned it down…….that’s another tale.

My Dad was a Chevy technician certified from just before WW2 thru 1983. After serving in Italy (Ran Motor Pool) he returned to the States, married my Mom and settled into work @ Westfall Chevrolet, Altamont NY. There were no lifts and very little light as Westfall’s had been in the Chevy business since the 1920s and Wright Westfall was nearing retirement. Seeking an easier situation off the floor, Dad moved to Don Allen’s in 1958. He had two lifts assigned to him about 2/3 of the way down the service shop and his window looked out on Orange Motors (Ford) next door on Central Ave.

When I turned 16 in 1968, I began working summers @ Hallman’s doing six in a row ending in 1973. Mostly I was what was termed a “car jockey” which meant moving cars on site or off including the Selkirk Yard where cars came in via Rail. In this role I was able to meet everyone in the shop in those days. The best part of the job was getting to drive Corvettes new and used and watching the guys who generally specialized in them, do their magic. My Dad generally stayed mostly clear of Corvettes as he was 6’3’’ and couldn’t do the tight dimensions. He often was called on to consult, however, as he was a bit of a whisperer who was in some demand by local dirt track racers (Fonda) for Chevy speed secrets.

During the L88 craze, my Dad and I converted several 1967/68 cars from 390HP to L88 configuration in our home shop. Everything was available over the parts counter and we could turn out a completed car in a weekend. No worries in those days about part number correct cars. It was all about speed.

The one that got away was a 1957 air-box car I found in Niskayuna. The car belonged to a dentist and it was sitting across the back of his garage and hadn’t run in several years when I found it in 1968. I was the guy that my friends wanted to bless cars they bought. I went to the house and my friend didn’t show so I bought the car. All black. I have never seen one like that since, most have red interiors. I think I paid $1500. The insurance proved to be at least that, so I sold it a few months later for $2500. That paid for a lot of college in those days.

To wrap up the Marsh Hallman nostalgia, I decided to not go into the car business despite being encouraged to shadow the general manager @ Hallman’s as he was due to retire. Didn’t want to be my Dad’s boss’s boss. My Dad was finally driven from the business by the Citation, a signal that the hands-on mechanic era was pretty much over. Constant hand burns from 195-degree motors and no adjustments possible meant it was time to restore tractors….
Old 11-01-2019, 01:13 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WKL

Based on what you wrote the odds are good (you and your dad) and I crossed paths. I picked up a lot of parts for my buddies speed shop there. I knew a lot of people that worked there in that era, because of school, living in Albany and hanging out at Grand way, being a racer!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Several others have provided info regarding the dealership. If you're searching for specific info on your Vette, contact the National Corvette Museum (https://www.corvettemuseum.org/), They can track your VIN & provide the production & build info.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:34 AM
bob70
1st Gear

Default Uncle MiltonMy Uncle Milton Was also a Technician at Marsh Hallmans in the '60s ​​​​​

Originally Posted by WKL
My Uncle Milton Was also a Technician at Marsh Hallmans in the '60s
and 70's His name was Milton Whitmore actually his real name was John Whitmore but everyone called him Milton.., did you know him? He hated working on corvettes but did.. He got my Dad and Grampa good used Chevys from there in the 60"s..
Bob Geurtze

and 70's His name was Milton Whitmore actually his real name was John Whitmore but everyone called him Milton.., did you know him? He hated working on corvettes but did.. He got my Dad and Grampa good used Chevys from there in the 60"s..
Bob Geurtze
Old 01-10-2023, 02:32 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bob70
Bob Geurtze

Bob, by chance where you from the 9W- Ravina area!

Get notified of new replies

To I have a 67 corvette from Marsh Hallman chevy.

Quick Reply: I have a 67 corvette from Marsh Hallman chevy.