Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Any Washington, DC guys around - Need parking help for the Z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:11 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Any Washington, DC guys around - Need parking help for the Z!

Sounds trivial I know but I am considering driving to DC for the Washington/Toronto game Saturday night and all hotels seem to be valet only...with a strict rule that it will be valet only. I then looked up reviews and there are a TON of complaints of Washington valet experiences... Nobody is parking my Z and keeping the keys. Sorry. Thoughts?

Anyone know of any self-parking hotels? Ideas?

Last edited by AllFlash; 04-12-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:19 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I travel to D.C. Quite frequently. None of the hotels I know of have self park lots. Back in the day there were tons of self park lots. Now they are almost all gone. A bigger problem is going to be the size of spaces.

All that said, the Fairfield Inn Chinatown has truck parking outside on the west side of the building. Slip the valet a $10 and I bet he would let you park it. I don't know if he would let you hold the keys.

Hotel is right around the corner from the arena.

Last edited by why1504; 04-12-2017 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Call the hotel manager and ask if you can park your own expensive high performance car. Explain that it would alleviate future lawsuits.

The other thing is, if you park your own at a valet place, the spots tend to be tight.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let the valet park your car. If something happens, they're liable.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Let the valet park your car. If something happens, they're liable.
Still calling around but, being from Canada, I am always a bit more careful as insurance can always be such a PITA internationally.

Thanks all. What... no CF'rs living downtown DC by the Verizon with a spare spot in their shed eheh?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

D.C. is full of parking garages that are self-parking. There has to be one very close to the hotel that would help you avoid this issue. PM me which hotel and I can help find the nearest garage. Or use the Parking Panda app.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

Funny how guys threaten "future lawsuits" to get what they want.
I agree with contacting hotel, by email,in advance addressing your concerns, and put it in valet mode.....
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Or drive something else....

Or stop caring, its a car. If they mess it up, they will pay for it. They probably park nicer more expensive cars every day.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Or drive something else....

Or stop caring, its a car. If they mess it up, they will pay for it. They probably park nicer more expensive cars every day.
I love when tools like you jump into conversations. How many miles do you have on that car? I am hitting 26000 in under 13 months roadtime, my first being a round trip of the US and Canada through some of the worst road conditions and weather.

Watch the videos of the guys parking the Z. Check out the reviews of these some valets in Washington state alone.

As a Canadian trusting a valet in the US, my concern is only logical. Perhaps you should stick to threads of your weight there big guy.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AllFlash
I love when tools like you jump into conversations. How many miles do you have on that car? I am hitting 26000 in under 13 months roadtime, my first being a round trip of the US and Canada through some of the worst road conditions and weather.

Watch the videos of the guys parking the Z. Check out the reviews of these some valets in Washington state alone.

As a Canadian trusting a valet in the US, my concern is only logical. Perhaps you should stick to threads of your weight there big guy.
Although I no longer drive into D.C. If you want the valet to pay special attention to your vehicle hand him a $20. In the days of Uber and Door Dash they don't see big tips any more.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Wow....

I have 5 cars and a motorcycle, so I tend to split miles up more evenly among them. If I have to drive a place where I am concerned about door dings/damage/etc I'll drive one of my other vehicles.

Good luck with your valeting.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I just stayed at the Sofitel and valet'd my SUV. It took about 20 minutes to get it when I called for it (and the ticket said allow at least that much time) so they don't even park them NEARBY the hotel in some cases it seems.

I'd never used Uber before, but Uber became my friend in DC.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

So.. I never started this thread prior to doing my background investigation. In contacting several hotels, as professional as they all claim to be, they were honest enough to speak of bad angles to get the car in as well as very tight spaces where the Corvette has very long doors. I respect their honesty. I then went to published reviews of the valets in hotels I was looking at. My typical hotel is four star or above, which includes hotels like the Marriott. You might want to check out the comments regarding their valets.

unreal, my wife actually wants me to take the motorcycles. We have a 1800 and 1300. Combined, there's over 70,000 miles between the two. I love to drive. I love to play in the mud as well which is why also have a jeep. My goal here was to find a reason to take the Z for a great spin. I am not sure about the rest here, but trusting a valet with my car and keys where there has already been several incidents of valet damage, at least one where the car has been totalled, is just not possible.

Too many people don't understand the power of this car, just about anyone has never sat in it as a matter of fact. They don't know that hopping in and flooring it, much like we can do in any other car these days, guarantees a very dangerous outcome. We have seen too many, some with much experience in fact, damage the car from their not having the knowledge of what it is capable of. Valet? Not a chance, especially as a Canadian in another country 7 hours away from home

Last edited by AllFlash; 04-13-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Lol calm down brah
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Eat.Sleep.Race
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds trivial I know but I am considering driving to DC for the Washington/Toronto game Saturday night and all hotels seem to be valet only...with a strict rule that it will be valet only. I then looked up reviews and there are a TON of complaints of Washington valet experiences... Nobody is parking my Z and keeping the keys. Sorry. Thoughts?

Anyone know of any self-parking hotels? Ideas?
There is 2-3 lots within 1 block of verizon center that are self parking, about $30 for the event, but good big spaces in some. Id suggest if not staying in a hotel, you can park at metro lot and take metro right in to verizon center.
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

What does nationality have to do with anything, unless you planned to tip with Loonies....
Old 04-13-2017, 12:13 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Check out the Hilton in Arlington VA. They have self parking for $20 (I believe) in a garage under the hotel. Drove my GS there in September and was fine getting in and out!

Sonny
AllFlash (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
What does nationality have to do with anything, unless you planned to tip with Loonies....
It has nothing to do with Nationality. It has to do with the vast difference in trying to settle any insurance concerns, as I learned a few years back. It also has to do with the trouble of getting back, if something were to happen to the car. Not making anything out of nationality whatsoever more than anyone else who drives their car out of country and considers exactly the same things abroad Lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

It has nothing to do with Nationality. It has to do with the vast difference in trying to settle any insurance concerns, as I learned a few years back. It also has to do with the trouble of getting back, if something were to happen to the car. Not making anything out of nationality whatsoever more than anyone else who drives their car out of country and considers exactly the same things abroad Lol.
Makes sense. I had a Vancouver valet curb my wheel on my Range Rover and I still blame Trudeau :-)

Odd that "Valet Mode" in this car is still powerful enough to be seriously dangerous. I tried it once, got on the throttle, went instantly sideways, and thought "So much for valet mode!". I need a new thread for that one, but it's not much of a limitation.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Washington, DC guys around - Need parking help for the Z!

Quick Reply: Any Washington, DC guys around - Need parking help for the Z!