Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Need Help in Northern NJ Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Need Help in Northern NJ Area

Fellow CF members, I need your help.

My grandson, Kalvin, has been selected for an 8 month body and paint apprenticeship at the BMW North America Service Technician Education Program in Woodcliff Lake, NJ following his graduation from Ohio Technical College in Cleveland, Ohio. His apprenticeship begins in August and I need help finding him somewhere to live until he graduates in April 2018.

While he will be compensated by a local temporary employment agency it will not even be close to what it would cost for renting an apartment so I am asking if any CF members in the North Jersey area, within about an hour commute of Woodcliff Lake, would be willing to rent a room in their home for the duration of his apprenticeship.

Kalvin is a hard working (currently works two part-time jobs after school; does small wrenching jobs on the side) and respectful young man. He does not smoke, drink or go out partying; he will more than likely have a part-time job after his courses are done for the day and will probably be going home to Delaware most weekends.

If there is anyone willing to help a hard working, respectful young man work to accomplish his life goals, both his parents and I will be eternally grateful for your help.

If you can help, please PM me.

TIA, John

Last edited by LJD51; 07-31-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

That is a ritzy area of NJ. I am sure he can find a nice room to rent close by. Lots of traffic in NJ so best not to be too far away.
I am too far away to help and I have 4 generations living with me and no spare room anyway.
The following users liked this post:
LJD51 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
That is a ritzy area of NJ. I am sure he can find a nice room to rent close by. Lots of traffic in NJ so best not to be too far away.
I am too far away to help and I have 4 generations living with me and no spare room anyway.
Thanks...will keep my fingers crossed that something will come up soon so we can make arrangements well ahead of time...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Jesus_ralliart
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how far he would be willing to drive but I know of a room for rent in manville for $700.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

Most of NJ is pricey, but Bergen County, where he'll be, is ridiculously so. As for commuting for an hour/living an hour away, some days a 10-mile ride could take that long; other days you could go maybe 35-40 miles. (Despite a lot of "highways," it's a very congested area if you're not familiar with it.)

Having lived in northern central NJ most of my life (thankfully no longer), we tend to reference everything by exit ramp numbers on the Garden State Parkway. He'll be working/studying in the "Exit 165-ish" area; I'm most familiar with where I grew up/lived, which is the Exit 145-148 area. (The Parkway numbering begins at the southern most point with Exit 1; so traveling back to Delaware for weekends is going to be a good ride--even using the NJ Turnpike and not the Garden State Parkway.)

I'd suggest looking for lodging south of Bergen County in Essex County or perhaps Passaic County towns; but you have to be careful in certain areas. I'd also suggest contacting local college housing offices and asking for any listings off-campus non-college-owned/overseen housing that their students use.

I know it's pretty general, but I hope some of this info is useful. Feel free to PM me with any more specific questions and I'll do my best to help out.
LJD51 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM
japc5
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

You may also want to have your grandson check with the school. While they probably do not house students like a typical college they may have pointers to inexpensive housing in the area.
LJD51 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

He will be very close to the NY border, it might be wise to check out areas like Chestnut Ridge, Nanuet, Pearl River---all very close by.
LJD51 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny71
He will be very close to the NY border, it might be wise to check out areas like Chestnut Ridge, Nanuet, Pearl River---all very close by.
Great idea... I used to live walking distance from the BMW place he is going to be working at, but recently moved 15 min away. Unfortunatly i already have a roomate, otherwise it would have been perfect. But that is a good idea to check the Chestnut ridge area

Good luck!
-steve
LJD51 (06-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help in Northern NJ Area

Quick Reply: Need Help in Northern NJ Area