Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

2017 Corvette Z06 - Protected by Oakes Detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 AM
0Oakes Detail
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2017 Corvette Z06 - Protected by Oakes Detail

The best thing to do when you purchase a new car, is to have it properly prepared and protected prior to your enjoyment. Executed here with a 2017 Corvette Z06 coupe in Torch Red, which was picked up by our own enclosed trailer at the dealership with just 3 miles on the odometer.

The dealer was asked to do nothing more than than the mechanical PDI and initial de-wrap of the protective plastics, which is important for warranty purposes and to ensure there are no obvious paint defects that can be remedied through the manufacturer before purchase. Everything else cosmetically was left to us to prepare, as you can see here.

After the initial preparation, the Z06 was then put into our clean room for further inspection, paint preparation/correction and tear down to allow for a seamless and edgeless install - per the customers request.

The paint inspection on this 3 mile, direct from factory vehicle yielded that we had some work ahead to optimize the appearance before we locked it in with Xpel Ultimate and Cquartz Finest ceramic coating. These defects are not uncommon from the factory, we have worked on sixty (yes, 60) C7 Z06s since their arrival to the market and find this to be the norm. Factory spot sanding areas, marring marks likely from final assembly or transport and buffer holograms.

With the paint dialed in properly, the film install was able to begin. Most of our installs are largely custom, unless the template design can allow for manual adjustment to achieve the same results as a custom install.

The whole process is shown here to protect the main impact areas of the vehicle with some additional protection due to the owners intended use of this beast!

On top of the protection, we also added some custom touches to achieve the look the owner wanted to accomplish. We used the new 3M 6D Carbon vinyl to give the car the exposed carbon look for the Stinger stripe and Roof panel, as well as installed the carbon flash front spoiler. In addition, some wider mudflaps to ensure even further protection from road rash and rocks slung from those sticky tires.

After film install and custom touches were installed, the car was then completely coated with CQuartz Finest ceramic coating for additional protection from the elements and ease of maintenance and to really squeeze out that remaining gloss and vibrance that Torch Red has to offer.

As always, thanks for looking!!

Oakes
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Wow, looks fantastic!
The following users liked this post:
Oakes Detail (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Fantastic!! Can you please share the same process you've done on a Black Z06?
Oakes Detail (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM
0Oakes Detail
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Fantastic!! Can you please share the same process you've done on a Black Z06?
Absolutely can, will just need a bit of time to get them together. I know I have plenty of photos on hand of black ones we have worked on. As far as a thread write up, it may be a while but I can drop some photos in here at some point today.
Z06NJ (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Exactly what was done on my 17' TR Z06 w/ black wheels (albeit I have red interior)! Looks great!

From your experience will film wrap (not XPEL, but colored wrap 3M, Oracle, etc) will it stick to the 1LZ splitter (the rough matte black)? I was looking to wrap mine in a metallic black to mimic the carbon flash. Would like your thoughts on that.

Last edited by Z0Sick6; 08-29-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Z06NJ (08-29-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM
0Oakes Detail
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Exactly what was done on my 17' TR Z06 w/ black wheels (albeit I have red interior)! Looks great!

From your experience will film wrap (not XPEL, but colored wrap 3M, Oracle, etc) will it stick to the 1LZ splitter (the rough matte black)? I was looking to wrap mine in a metallic black to mimic the carbon flash. Would like your thoughts on that.
The texture of the plastic does make a little difficulty for proper adhesion of the vinyl. It would be best to sand it smooth and then add an adhesive promoter to ensure it lays smooth and stays put.
Z0Sick6 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Oakes Detail
The texture of the plastic does make a little difficulty for proper adhesion of the vinyl. It would be best to sand it smooth and then add an adhesive promoter to ensure it lays smooth and stays put.
Thanks for answering that, may just be best to paint it at that point - don't think there would be much of a cost difference.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Thanks for answering that, may just be best to paint it at that point - don't think there would be much of a cost difference.
If you do paint it you may want to wrap it in Xpel or some other PPF to protect it from stone chips. Otherwise it'll probably get beat up fairly quickly.
Z0Sick6 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
If you do paint it you may want to wrap it in Xpel or some other PPF to protect it from stone chips. Otherwise it'll probably get beat up fairly quickly.
That was also a thought. I have the car practically wrapped entirely in XPEL, I would probably have that done as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jeffjob
Wow, looks fantastic!
It does look great. Get this done and spend less on the speed mods

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Corvette Z06 - Protected by Oakes Detail

Quick Reply: 2017 Corvette Z06 - Protected by Oakes Detail