Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NJ Drivers-do you hover over the attendant

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Default NJ Drivers-do you hover over the attendant

NJ being the only state where the attendant pumps your gas and in many cases drips gas on the side of the car when he pulls the nozzle out or misses the filler and hits the side of the car when putting the nozzle in because he is not paying attention-I get out of the car and stand next to him and watch him like a hawk and actually tell him to be careful.

I actually chose my local station based on the attendants not the price.

I wish I could pump my own gas into my C7.

What say my fellow Jerseyians....
The following users liked this post:
kaufmansm (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:03 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

No I don't hover..if it happens I ..just pour some bottled water over the gas if it drips..or over flows...

Sometimes I pump my own gas when the stations are busy ...you can always pump your own gas...no body who is working in a gas station cares about the law...

Just jump out and do it yourself if you are that concerned...

I got an autistic 22 year old and if I'm getting gas the dam kid rocks in the seat setting off the dam pump so the gas stops pumping when set in auto mode by the attendant ,,,...so I just get out and pump the gas myself. Most of the time..if the attendant is not around,,..

Like I said.lthe gas jockeys could care less..if you pump the gas and most of the time thank me.

If the attendant says anything then tell him not to have any gas spill on the car...

Do that the problem is solved,

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-05-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM
rovingit
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not an actual Jerseyian, but my company HQ is there (Ramsey). Usually I try to get into NY and pump myself, but occasionally I can't make it there, so have to fill up in NJ.
Yes, I hover, and the attendants are pretty understanding, especially since they had to "remind me" I can't pump it myself :ROFL:
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Cam2010
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't hover over attendant. I do what JerriVette does, if it spills I wash it down and when the station is really busy I pump my own gas. I'm more worried about the attendant smacking the side of the car with the nozzle as he isn't paying attention to where he is putting it.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I believe Oregon also requires that gas station attendants pump the gas too. Stupid, damn stupid.

Looks like Oregon may be changing - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...as/1000215001/
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

We don't have those issues here in Arizona but Oregon does and I have avoided oregon when in the corvette. They seem to get real upset up there i hear if you pump your own gas.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 AM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Most places here in Oregon, the attendants seem to be respectful of your Corvette and are careful with the refueling process. Probably 'cause there are not many of them (C7's). I do get out and watch. Just an old habit of mine where I used to pump my own gas.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

With all the laws in California I am surprised our dumb-*** govenor has not adapted that law too.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 01-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

This is the first I have ever heard of these laws. I'm not saying that there isn't a need for them sometimes. I have seen morons at self serve pumping gas into their car while smoking a cigarette. My question is with this requirement in place, how much more do they charge per/gal so they can pay the attendant?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
We don't have those issues here in Arizona but Oregon does and I have avoided oregon when in the corvette. They seem to get real upset up there i hear if you pump your own gas.
I just moved down here to Lake Havasu last April from Oregon. They have another strike against them....front plate requirement!
Strike three was the property taxes and I was out of there!
See ya at cars and coffee Sunday.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
NJ being the only state where the attendant pumps your gas and in many cases drips gas on the side of the car when he pulls the nozzle out or misses the filler and hits the side of the car when putting the nozzle in because he is not paying attention-I get out of the car and stand next to him and watch him like a hawk and actually tell him to be careful.

I actually chose my local station based on the attendants not the price.

I wish I could pump my own gas into my C7.

What say my fellow Jerseyians....
I have spilled gas on every car I've owned pumping my own gas for 20 years. Damage to these vehicles? Zero point zero zero zero.

R E L A X

I live NY now but I'm a hardcore Jersey boy (Hudson and Bergen Counties).
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Never lived in Jersey but traveled there for business a lot of times. Whenever we needed to fill up the rental cars we just went to a station and started pumping gas. Even when a station isn't busy it is hard for an attendant to get to the car before you are at the pump and doing your thing. Basically, behave as if they aren't there and they won't be there. What are they going to do? Report you to the gasoline police?

Bill
Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

Jersey born and raised.

I always get out of the car at the pump,regardless of the weather, to make sure they fill with premium. But i also enjoy small talk with the attendants. Most are younger and appreciate special cars.

I've found with both my Mustang and Corvette, if you drive up with highly polished, obviously well cared for car, they will be vary careful to avoid spills and some will even take steps to avoid fingerprints when closing the filler door.
Only had one bad apple at my local station over all these years and within one month he was gone.
George88 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:30 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I just moved down here to Lake Havasu last April from Oregon. They have another strike against them....front plate requirement!
Strike three was the property taxes and I was out of there!
See ya at cars and coffee Sunday.
They have a front plate 'requirement' in many states. That has to be the most loosely (un)enforced car law on the planet. They have this law in NY and NJ, most sports car owners (including myself) won't ever comply. It's like a $200 fine in NY, zero points on your license, and a cop would have to be a big ball buster to write such a ticket. In other words it's not exactly big exposure to flaunt this 'law' that everybody seems to think (and approach) is optional for anyone with a nice car.

The people driving around in immaculate Corvettes, Porsches, etc. are hardly the criminal element 99.99% of the time.

Here's my NY registered (2017 Z51) @ the Jersey shore last summer.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

The attendants in Jersey have no problem letting you pump your own gas. Especially if its cold.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
This is the first I have ever heard of these laws. I'm not saying that there isn't a need for them sometimes. I have seen morons at self serve pumping gas into their car while smoking a cigarette. My question is with this requirement in place, how much more do they charge per/gal so they can pay the attendant?
Even with a .25 hike in gas tax last year, NJ gas is among the cheapest in the country. NYC cabbies routinely make the trip through the Holland Tunnel to gas up at a price that’s usually a full dollar a gallon lower than you find on the east side of thee Hudson.

I’ve used a few different stations in my 17 months of ownership. No spills or other issues, just a lot of pleasant conversations. Believe it or not, most of the attendants I’ve dealt with are fascinated with the car and show plenty of respect for my property.

As a man thinketh...
Apocolips (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Apocolips
This is the first I have ever heard of these laws. I'm not saying that there isn't a need for them sometimes.
Well I sure am saying that!

I have seen morons at self serve pumping gas into their car while smoking a cigarette.
When you have 2 states insisting on this dumb law, and 48 who allow (pretty much require - have you seen anybody in say California at the gas station who fills people's cars with gas? I haven't) it should not be that difficult to compile real stats, real scientific data on exactly how risky this is. It's obvious to me if it were at all more dangerous then many of the 48 states allowing this would be outlawing it. It's not about safety - it's about unions...

My question is with this requirement in place, how much more do they charge per/gal so they can pay the attendant?
Obviously it's something because you need to pay the salaries of this guys.

Get notified of new replies

To NJ Drivers-do you hover over the attendant

Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that would drive me crazy .. looks like Oregon has this stupid law also. It is so cold where I live and even in -30 I avoid full service pumps.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:52 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Another Oregonian for 30 years now and while I'm not crazy about the no-pump law, attendants are very careful with my C7, in some cases even respectful. It helps that I usually get gas at my local station where they all know me and I them.The self-serve option talked about is limited to some of the most remote counties in the country, to make it a bit easier. The law comes up for repeal frequently but never gets enough votes. It's apparently the will of the majority. Hey Joe, it's also raining up here, another reason to head south!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:52 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What are they going to do? Report you to the gasoline police?
I wouldn't put it past them.

Born and raised in NJ, managed to escape in the 80's. Jersey's a good place to be from (implying you no longer live there). Now I live in San Diego and it's 70 degrees pretty much all year, great roads, deserts, mountains, beaches - one of the best places to have a vette! I would never even visit NJ again...

Quick Reply: NJ Drivers-do you hover over the attendant