Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Looking to buy a car c7 from virvinia

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM
pgwaterman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a car c7 from virvinia

Hey forum members, looking to buy my first corvette this car is in virginia, two things what do I need to think about from being back east as I live on california. Car has 40000 miles not sure how to do a long distance transaction any input appreciated.
thanks
​​​​​​pg waterman
Old 04-18-2018, 07:08 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by pgwaterman
Hey forum members, looking to buy my first corvette this car is in virginia, two things what do I need to think about from being back east as I live on california. Car has 40000 miles not sure how to do a long distance transaction any input appreciated.
thanks
​​​​​​pg waterman
You could post the location and maybe a forum member could check the car out, or tell you a trusted shop that could do it for you. Then you just need a car transport company and they can pick the car up and deliver it to your location. I have purchased many cars without ever seeing them, and so far never had an issue.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by pgwaterman
thanks
​​​​​​pg waterman
Hey pg, just wondering if you are still pursing this purchase? There are many things you need to consider if you think you found your dream car. There are risks associated with making a long distance purchase like this if you still are moving ahead with this. I'll just highlight one. There are others I'll mention if you still are going ahead with this purchase. There was a thread here on his forum from a guy in Cali like you who went ahead and made a long distance purchase back east here (I think it was from a dealer in New Jersey). To make a long story short, he purchased the vehicle, shipped it to Cali and then went to register the vehicle. He had indicated in his post that the DMV in Cali would not let him register the vehicle there because it did not have some govermental tag under the hood indicating the vehicle has essentially met California air quality emission standards/compliance. As it did not, he was unable to register it. In addition I believe he mentioned the state of California also put a blackmark in their records about this vehicle so that he could never register the vehicle in your state. This prevented him from ever selling the vehicle to someone in the state. What a nightmare, he now had to find someone out of state to purchase this vehicle. Not sure if he still had to pay state sales tax in Cali. So first, what you need do is find out from the state of Cali DMV what specific requirements they have for registering an out-of-state vehicle. Pay particular attention to requirements as they pertain to vehicle emission requirements. Anyway, there are other issues as well to consider if you want to cover all your bases. I'll look for your return reply if you want additional inputs and suggestions. Best regards.

****UPDATE****

I just found a link on this forum to a similar Cali purchase that will be helpful for you in learning what is required in Cali.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...egulation.html

Last edited by MMD; 05-04-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: additional info found

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a car c7 from virvinia

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a car c7 from virvinia