Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Darn NY highway & pothole in August

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Darn NY highway & pothole in August

Driving home from a wonderful trip to Corvettes at Carlisle, we enter New York state on I-84 eastbound where the road patches number the amount of white line stripes/lane designators. Approaching exit 2 in Port Jervis, cruise control on in the right travel lane, we hit the crater of all craters! I don't remember what I noticed first. The rearview mirror got knocked askew, the HUD got jostled out place (now displaying 35 degrees to the right of driver center on the windshield, and then the noise. Flap, flap, flap, flap. DIC displaying Low Tire Pressure, Front Left. Having Michelin run flats, I slowed and kept driving to the next exit (nearly 20 miles away), where there was a friendly Chevy dealer, who unfortunately didn't have any tires in stock and weren't able to get any until Monday. AAA Plus to the rescue, giving us a free tow back home. Call to auto insurer to start a claim. Rims 'appear' ok, need 2 new driver side tires, paint & body work to fender and bumper cover, estimated at $2k so far, pending no suspension damage. Note: Road way stills taken from a video shot by a friend on the way home along the same route, where they hit the pothole too (as they couldn't discern what was a pothole and what was road patch), but no damage to their Chevy HHR. Couldn't say the same for a BMW pulled over up the road with a flat and a Lexus on a flatbed with a shredded tire. Thanks NY.

Can you spot a pothole amongst the patches above?

The crater (not a pothole).

Front tire sliced open in 3 spots, flapped around like a pinwheel on the fender!

Front tire sidewall sliced open.

Rear tire damage.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Holy ****! That makes me hurt inside. I have a LOW splitter and that's my worst fear. Not seeing a pothole or bump in time to slow down. You do know you can sue them don't you? You can. And you can get the state to pay for the damage to your car. Sorry for your trouble man.
The following users liked this post:
Linecapt (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

That really $ucks!! They need to do a better job. That shouldn't happen this time of year. I drove home from Carlisle on that same stretch of road. Fortunately, I was in the passing lane right there. Some of the bridge joints were terrible through NY State as well.
Linecapt (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 AM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

OUCH indeed...what a lousy way to cap off a nice weekend. I try hard to avoid bad road stuff especially driving the Corvette, but as you know there is only so much you can do. Certainly worth pursuing that state for your damages. It will all get fixed and your fine car will return to normal...good luck to another Connecticut Yankee...
Linecapt (08-30-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Wow! I also came home that way but most of the time I'm in the left lane I must have passed a dozen or more vettes on my way home. Glad I missed that crater. Sorry that happen to you.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:57 AM
minavizz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

on behalf of all new yorkers, i sincerely apologize... Now imagine living here with two of the highest taxed counties in America and dealing with that all the time.. Where does the tax go again??

Get notified of new replies

To Darn NY highway & pothole in August

Quick Reply: Darn NY highway & pothole in August