Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

keeping it legal in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 PM
madmaxnj
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default keeping it legal in NJ?

So I'm at the point now where I can $$ consider a project. Whatever I do, i want to keep it legal. That is, no hassle with inspection or cops. I can go right to the state run inspection and pass.

Anybody know of a good reference where I can find out the do's and don'ts of car modifications in NJ? If I do some bolt-ons and a tune on my C6 am I busted? Are any of the after market supercharger kits approved and can be used with the 'base' tune?

What if I decide to get an older car (25 years old), can I go hog wild and not get it inspected? Or do I need QQ plates? Is there a mileage limit?

Just trying to figure out my options.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Any car 1995 or older is no longer required to be presented for inspection.
No sticker is required, regardless of plate type, i.e you do not need to have QQ plates, and no mileage restrictions. ( QQ plates ARE restrictive, but no longer needed to omit inspection requirements for 95 and older)
Make certain that if you contemplate collector car insurance that you select one that insures modded cars, most do, some do not.
Mileage and usage restrictions are defined by the insurance company, not the state. (for qualification for classic/ collectors insurance)
C-6 Supercharging is commonplace, and are mandated to not run afoul of emissions.
You have some VERY good shops in NJ that specialize in Supercharger installation and tuning.
Hope that helps.
Merry Christmas!

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 12-24-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: QQ and ins clarification
Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The 95 and older cars only have to meet general requirements, as in street tires, working lights etc. No emissions required. For the QQ plates you technically aren't supposed to drive the car unless going to a show however no one really bothers you unless you're clearly using it as a daily. Also, one stipulation with the discounted classic insurance rates is you needed the QQ plates. You're also not supposed to run QQ plates with modded engines but again, theres literal drag cars running around with them so...

Not sure where in Jersey you are however, east coast supercharging is supposed to be a pretty good shop out in plumbstead... or new Egypt/ jackson depending on who you ask lol. It couldn't hurt to call them up and ask about what can be done and specify what your goals are. They at one point were customers of ours and we also have a gentleman customer with a procharged c6 Z06 in jackson running 9s on a stock bottom end. I'd imagine they did the tuning. I've never used a shop because I do the little work I do myself but it couldn't hurt. (I build pools by the way, they're pool related customers lol.) Call around and get an idea what can be done. You're stuck some because most stations go up the pipe and in the port so you can't turn off codes because you'll get flagged. So you have to meet emissions but you don't need the carb stamp bs like California. There is also visual, the ramps you drive on have cameras to check for cats. It's pretty tight lol.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 06:41 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
The 95 and older cars only have to meet general requirements, as in street tires, working lights etc. No emissions required. For the QQ plates you technically aren't supposed to drive the car unless going to a show however no one really bothers you unless you're clearly using it as a daily. Also, one stipulation with the discounted classic insurance rates is you needed the QQ plates. You're also not supposed to run QQ plates with modded engines but again, theres literal drag cars running around with them so...

Not sure where in Jersey you are however, east coast supercharging is supposed to be a pretty good shop out in plumbstead... or new Egypt/ jackson depending on who you ask lol. It couldn't hurt to call them up and ask about what can be done and specify what your goals are. They at one point were customers of ours and we also have a gentleman customer with a procharged c6 Z06 in jackson running 9s on a stock bottom end. I'd imagine they did the tuning. I've never used a shop because I do the little work I do myself but it couldn't hurt. (I build pools by the way, they're pool related customers lol.) Call around and get an idea what can be done. You're stuck some because most stations go up the pipe and in the port so you can't turn off codes because you'll get flagged. So you have to meet emissions but you don't need the carb stamp bs like California. There is also visual, the ramps you drive on have cameras to check for cats. It's pretty tight lol.
QQ plates are NOT required for classic / collector's insurance.
I have multiple cars on classic, none of which have QQ, as many are too new to qualify for QQ plates.
2019 Corvettes can be insured on such policies, as it is usage driven not age driven.
Contact the National Corvette Museum Insurance Company as they are one of the best, and will take care of getting you properly insured.
Merry Christmas!

Marty

Old 12-24-2018, 01:44 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Feel free to give us a call, we would be happy to discuss with you what you can do to have a fast & legal vehicle.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
QQ plates are NOT required for classic / collector's insurance.
I have multiple cars on classic, none of which have QQ, as many are too new to qualify for QQ plates.
2019 Corvettes can be insured on such policies, as it is usage driven not age driven.
Contact the National Corvette Museum Insurance Company as they are one of the best, and will take care of getting you properly insured.
Merry Christmas!

Marty
The NCM couldn't touch the rate and coverage I have on my car at the time I did it. However it was required through my company to have classic registration. I pay about 100$ a year for insurance though and the car is fully covered. Actually if I torch it I make money iirc lol. My company changed policies now though, the 67 is regular registered and has the classic insurance. I should have been a little more clear about that lol.

I've been wanting to shop around for new coverage anyway though so I'll look into it again.

Thank you and you too have a merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Feel free to give us a call, we would be happy to discuss with you what you can do to have a fast & legal vehicle.
That would be the one!
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

Marty
DOUG @ ECS (12-26-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 12:14 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I didn't go hog wild but, I have a 2002 Z, an ls3, dry sump, pretty big cam, all the supporting mods, all frorm ECS with Doug's magic tune putting 503/492 to the wheels and have always passed NJ inspections
DOUG @ ECS (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

ESC is a good shop. If you want a street car and go full exhaust then I would say just get a system with high flow cats.
DOUG @ ECS (12-26-2018)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:09 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

If you have a newer car just make sure you'll pass the tailpipe sniff test. You should have something that looks like cats for the undercar cameras and no check engine light. You'll pass with no problem. I don't even have a front license plate and the woman didn't care. I thought I might fail, but with all the changes I've made and a tune from Doug at ECS, no problem.
DOUG @ ECS (02-16-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
DOUG @ ECS (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:48 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Another thumbs up for ECS! Masters at their craft!
DOUG @ ECS (02-27-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for ECS.

You can't go wrong with them if you are in NJ!
DOUG @ ECS (02-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To keeping it legal in NJ?

Quick Reply: keeping it legal in NJ?